justinhawxhurst

Camera hand mount

I am working with a manufacturer for bullet cameras and we have just designed a new hand mount. It is not specifically made for skydiving, I have had it made for multiple sports. Could I get some feed back on pros and cons on this mounting system being used in the air?

I am not a base jumper but thought it could work for all of you.

The camera can be turned across the hand so in a box Position it would be facing the jumper

I found that if you put male velcro on the bulletcam, and use motorcross gloves, you just stick the cam on wherever you need to, and then use another piece of long velcro to tie around - it's instant, cheap and works 100% as well with the flexibility of putting it ANYWHERE on your hand.

Why try to re-invent the wheel ?

This mount is being not just for skydiving or base I am a skier,wakeboarder and it needed to be able to fit over ski gloves as well as wakeboarding gloves. Thanks for the imput thats why I posted it

The picture just shows it in the forward position. It can be turned to face the jumper

Is it fixed to just backward or forward, or can it turn to any angle?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

It can be turned to face any direction. The nice thing is that the camera we use is only 2.5cm by 3.9cm

http://www.sports-cameras.co.uk/HiResBulletCamera.shtml

original poster:

The camera can be turned across the hand so in a box Position it would be facing the jumper

coco:

Very nice but for BASE and skydiving having the cam straight forward would be a little hard to video yourself. Since that is what we use them for most of the time.

Did I miss somthing David?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I was looking around for a hand mount for my Sony PC 101 and found the prices to be quite steep --- about $200 new and $150 used.

SO0o I went to the local sporting goods store, Play It Again Sports, and bought a used wrist guard for roller blading and a pair of neoprene socks for scuba for all of $3.75 with tax.

Got home and spent about an hour or so cutting and sewing by hand. Used the neoprene sock and made a camera condom out of it. Modified the velcro to be more secure. Drilled a hole in the hard plastic of the wrist guard and used an old camera bolt and a fender washer to attach it. Even used some old clear vinyl so I can see the red light

The end product works like a champ --- I have jumped it 3 or 4 times. I will post a photo of the unit and some video shot with it when I get home....if I remember. :P
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Yeah but it would be really nice if you could turn it to face the jumper...That way you could shoot video of yourself...:P

Or what if you used velcro so you could face it any direction...Man I just keep coming up with these great ideas...;)

Even better than making a mount yourself, simply hold the damn thing in your hand. Then you can point it wherever you want. Grab your left toggle with a few fingers and the bullet cam still stays in your hand. I jumped BASE bullet cams 7 years ago this way.

Also, try www.supercircuits.com or www.polarisusa.com for cameras.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

SO0o I went to the local sporting goods store, Play It Again Sports, and bought a used wrist guard for roller blading and a pair of neoprene socks for scuba for all of $3.75 with tax.
.... The end product works like a champ --- I have jumped it 3 or 4 times. I will post a photo of the unit and some video shot with it when I get home....if I remember.[/#]

And you're NOT a rigger? You would be the best kind ... seriously.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

.... The end product works like a champ --- I have jumped it 3 or 4 times. I will post a photo of the unit and some video shot with it when I get home....if I remember.[/#]

And you're NOT a rigger? You would be the best kind ... seriously.

As long as he doesn't confuse centimeters and inches ;):P

Hello Jason, Justin, Tim & Gregor,

Honestly I have never used nor seen footage from a lipstick camera. I was always told their picture quality was not real good. However, after visiting the sites you included I might re-think it since their prices are so low and obviously the lower weight / smaller size seems safer.

RE: the rigging comment. Thank you. I hope to eventually earn my rigger's ticket. I currently have 19 reserve packs and am in the process of buying a sewing machine. Plus I already have a set of rigger's tools.

Lastly, the crack about me confusing metric and english measurements was funny and well deserved --- I still feel like a dumb ass about that. But hey, atleast my gut which told me it was jumpable turned out to be right :P

Attached is a shot of the setup and three screen grabs from video shot with it.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

The cameras we use are 580 TV Lines with 90 - 120 degrees of view.

This makes them shoot the same quality as a 3ccd camera. I have shot with it makeing programes for TV. They are even quality for live TV broadcast.

The cameras we use are 580 TV Lines with 90 - 120 degrees of view.

This makes them shoot the same quality as a 3ccd camera.

That's as maybe, but don't they connect to the camera via analogue means, which results in a degradation? I have used bullet cams before and am a big fan of them, but they would be better if you could wire them up digitally to Sony cameras. Are you recording digitally?
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

the bullet cam can be hooked up to a video camera to record onto dv tapes. I usualy record to a media recording devise so you don't have to carry a video camera as well. The mp4 player I record to recordes to avi format.

http://www.sports-cameras.co.uk/AccRecordingDevices.shtml[url]

the bullet cam can be hooked up to a video camera to record onto dv tapes

Yes, but it's analogue isn't it? Via th AV-in? Not digitally via the firewire port?

http://www.sports-cameras.co.uk/AccRecordingDevices.shtml

The mp4 player I record to recordes to avi format.

Doesn't that compress the data? If so, then the quality isn't going to be as good as a regular DV camera and certainly not broadcast quality.

Right now the cameras use an av line but soon should have s-video and fire wire. The quality at the end of the day has to do with the quality of the recording device. The ones we use work for TV programs.

Right now the cameras use an av line but soon should have s-video and fire wire. The quality at the end of the day has to do with the quality of the recording device.

And the method by which the camera and the recording device are connected.

The ones we use work for TV programs.

What ones are those? How much do they cost? How portable are they?

Many other people aside from Craig would be interested in a true digital mini-cam system. If you could put one together that used the IEEE 1394 (firewire) ports on the Sony camera, you'd definitely have a market.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I am not actually part of the company who makes the cameras. I am an athlete who is doing the research and development to improve the use of the cameras.

I have noted everyone’s suggestions and will be bringing them up this week to get them implemented either on existing cameras or make a new one targeted to skydiving and BASE jumping.

We do have wireless broadcast quality cameras that have a range of about 4 miles that have everything that has been suggested regarding the recording to DV but they are quite expensive.

Any more ideas and impute is much appreciated.

please pm me thouse details aswell

Its my oppinion that as of the analoug signal and poor signal even whith max power on bullet cams you still get a poor picture.

on your Question.
I have made a glove looking werry similar to the one you just showed,it works well. you said it your self you can place the cam in the angel you want,i however modifyed my cam alitel

ON my bullet cam,i glued a peice of velcro onto,that way the cam becomes more stabil,also i have "locked" the leed to my wrist making sure that i can pull moore leed up if needed(to movement of my arm..)

bullet cams are cool to get funny shots,but they should come whith full dv qually and better in 0lux

Stay safe
Stefan Faber