pilatus_p

What is a TARD jump please! ?

Google is not being kind to me. Please can someone tell me what a TARD jump is, and how it differs to a 'normal' jump?

Has it got something to do with holding the canopy and going feet first? :$

Ross
http://www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm

Hm

Totally Awesome Rapid Deployment. Guessed the last two words. The videos I've seen are quite awesome actually :)
Ross

Hey, I'm in the "Good Tard" section of this post. It's nice to be recognized for something that goes rite for a change:ph34r:

I missed the original post though so I have to add(to anyone thinking of doing unpacked jumps):

Tards are very dangerous. Even experienced jumpers that are very comfortable in BASE have problems with them. The heading performance is atrocious, not all the time, but when it goes bad it goes terribly bad.
A friend of mine got a finger stuck in her lines. Someone else actually hit the talus at the potato bridge. She flew 200 meters down-wind in line twist.

You will hear that they are "super easy", and they are. It is very easy to hurt yourself.

Please have someone who knows, show you. And try to find out if they've almost killed a student before (I know I have:|). Simply watching my video is NOT acceptable training. It doesn't actually show you how to do it. And it talks nothing of the launch.

Be safe out there (there is a planet pointed at you)
-Bill

A friend of mine used to say "why tard it when you can tard it over?" or better yet gain-it-over?
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

Bullshit beats brains! :ph34r:

Knew the year of latin my farking school made me do would come in handy eventually.

Ross

TARDovers are cool aslong you dont have headwinds:ph34r::D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

This is my take on unpacked jumps:

I let the wind conditions dictate the type of unpacked jump I do.

I like doing rollovers and do them (or some variation:)
I do tards in a tail wind, and tard-overs in headwinds.

The wind will push your canopy away from you in both these cases. This satisfies rule number 1 of unpacked jumps: Get the fuck away from your canopy!

Stay safe.
-Bill

I do tards in a tail wind, and tard-overs in headwinds

HUH?
my experience by TARD overs(mainly as its thouse ive made) will give you offheaddings doing them in head winds,tailwinds however i most of the times get onheadding..

Please explain why headwinds on TARD overs should do you any good?

as i see it you need tó rotate over the canopy then release it.

IF you have a headwind the wind will push at the canopy even as you launch off,hence more time to twist.
tailwind will protect yourcanopy untiol the point were your on top of the canopy.

headwinds usaly blows you towards the object not away from it..

besides i wouldnt jump a unpacked in headwinds off anything else than a S..

Just my experience

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Please explain why headwinds on TARD overs should do you any good?

Entanglement potential.

With a tailwind, the wind blows the canopy forward of your body, so you minimize the chance of entanglement. With a headwind, the wind will blow a regular TARD back toward you, increasing your odds of entanglement. It looks to me like Bill's choices are (legitimately, given that I'd bet the majority of his unpacked jumps are from the bridge here) driven by his desire to avoid performing the "Nylon Burrito", which is a significantly more life and death consideration than heading performance from our local object.

As an aside, my personal advice for TARDs (of whichever stripe) in winds is to hold the canopy off to one side of your body. It hurts heading for sure, but also reduces the entanglement potential (obviously, in a cross wind you have to make sure you're holding the canopy on the downwind side of your body).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hey I am in the "Bad " section .

He he :D I really am, not sure how I managed to walk out of that one ;)

Be safe
Gabo

On smart tards I learned it is bad to hold your canopy with your thumb in your tailpocket....

Cause sometimes as you swing it up and step ioff, you rip the pocket open and find yousrself "dancing" in the lines.....

No wind: whatever

Medium headwind: tard-overs

Strong headwind: I-rocks

Medium tailwind: tards or roll-overs, the latter with a very-strong-geniuine launch trying to touch the canopy in FF.

Strong tailwind: kite-unders
You know you have a problem when maggot is the voice of reason at the exit points

...roll-overs, the latter with a very-strong-geniuine launch trying to touch the canopy in FF.

This is very bad advice.

The most important thing to do on an unpacked jump is to manage your lines. On a roll over, it is critical to launch as hard as possible out (over the top of the canopy) to maintain line tension. Launching toward the canopy will create line slack, which will introduce more variables into your opening--worse heading, more chance for tension knots or line overs, and, of course, the chance to wrap yourself in the canopy as you are "trying to touch the canopy in FF."

Have a look at this old post from BASE587 for some good advice on doing roll overs.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

With a headwind, the wind will blow a regular TARD back toward you, increasing your odds of entanglement.

well i did figure that out:P

However as i 1(yeah read 1 year)ago first did my TARDovers we were a few that learned that headwinds and TARDovers usaly gives you a 180(9 out of 10 times).
Taking that and add that you probaly wouldnt do a tardover in nukewinds i fail to see why you wouldnt make it over the canopy..
simply hold the canopy into your body and only thing you need to do is a overrotated headdive(yeah yeah snag shit etc ect i would belive the canopy rather rip it self apart rather than get stuck in your cheststrap).

It looks to me like Bill's choices are (legitimately, given that I'd bet the majority of his unpacked jumps are from the bridge here) driven by his desire to avoid performing the "Nylon Burrito", which is a significantly more life and death consideration than heading performance from our local object.

Also most of us dont have a nice S to jump off all the time,we use what ever we can jump.doing a TARDover off an 3 guywire A you´ll only see me doing so whith a light tailwind,but hey im a pussy:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

This is very bad advice.

Hey Tom,

What's wrong with a little touch, the kind we did in movie theaters sitting next to a chick when we were 11 years old?