willh

Base in a Day

At 1201 am Sunday so began our Quest for Base in a day. Hoping we would get the winds and that we would stay on schedule was our biggest concern. We also were determined in doing it in order B A S E. First we hit up a building, then off to our local antenna. packing up our rigs we set off on a mission to jump a span and finish it off with a cliff. Using two rigs and a well planned itinarary we were able acomplish it in 20 hours with over 1000 km of milage put on our van. Well as of 8pm Sunday Aug. 13th I'm excited to say that my friend Taylor and I were to " get er done". What a rush; road trips are the best.
Will
Base890

Congratulations Will --- that is a damn impressive feat to accomplish!!
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Using two rigs and a well planned itinarary we were able acomplish it in 20 hours with over 1000 km of milage put on our van. Well as of 8pm Sunday Aug. 13th I'm excited to say that my friend Taylor and I were to " get er done". What a rush; road trips are the best.
Will
Base890

Rock on Will ! Awesome stuff and huge congratulations from your finnish buddies !

Markus
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Thanks guys,
It was definately something to be proud of. I'm still amazed. It's just starting to sink in.
Will

We live near Niagarafalls, Ontario, Canada and yes Toronto is close by.
Will

The Building 340 ft was sweet, running exit good delay, on heading landing on main road with a car load of girls cheering us on. Then off to a local tower exiting from a platform at 525 ft taking a solid delay pulling right in front of Sparky and Dennis at 400ft. We didn't have the span checked out other than internet info so we were taking a chance on going there. It turned out to be the sketchiest thing I've ever jumped in my life. We were scared. It was 240 ft but with 100 ft trees. We had no were to tie static line. In the end decided our best bet was over the river 80 ft wide and 100 ft trees flanking both sides. This jump would be taking it up a notch. A free fall would bring us with in 30-40 ft from the tree tops so any off heading would be dangerous. We opted against the down wind side of the bridge because of landing options. The other side was our only option. We started to gear up knowing this would be our only chance of base in a day. It seemed as if it was meant to be. Taylor Stepped up onto the concrete wall said see ya and went. I looked over the edge to see him sinking it straight down and backing it up to avoid dead hydro lines (very old; went only pole to pole across the river and hung into the water) using his rear risers. After splash down he called up, no sweat. I decided to go jumping on a 45 deg. angle to the side of the bridge I got a 90 right over the trees; Quickly stall turning it into a carve to the left I flew between 2 trees over the river now, hooking it right into the water to avoid the bank on the other side of the river. Coming in hot splashed in...... All good. I thanked God on that jump. We were the first to ever free fall this garrenteed. If it was ever jumped at all. The cliff was another story (300 ft). Guess who showed up on our way out. The Law! They where fat and out of shape so we ran. To any whuffo the only way out was the way we came into the gorge. Well we scaled the steap embankment hiding in the woods stashing our gear near a road then getting our car picking up the gear on the way out. We were face to face with these guys before we ran so it was intense. My legs still hurt from the climb.
Will

I'm guessing Taylor was doing push ups in between objects and running next to the van to get a little extra work out.:D Congrats guys.

You should have seen Taylor sprint up the gourge when we were being chased. I was slowing him down; he even offered to carry my gear which he did for a sec. but kept sliding on the shale. I took over. I had to keep up with my heart exploding out of my chest. It was all those runs up the fyords in Norway from the white house to exit four and back on rain days.
Will

having been a part of BASE in a day (I started it but spanked in on the B and ended up GC for the rest of it) I give my respect to you.... its a hard trawl around to get it......... Well done matey.......... Its a very cool thing to do... its one of those things not many people will ever do....