NSEMN8R

What's on this A?

dont' quote me on this....
but i'm pretty sure all of those are microwave towers, built back in the 50's (or so i've been told). i've jumped quite a few of them. they are nice because are usually slightly overhung, and some give you a clear platform for a running exit. have fun :-D! - as to if they are still active or not, i have no idea.
Nathan

We found another interesting tower around here.

Anyone know what it is? Anything we need to stay away from up there?

Thanks again,

Tony

AT&T Long Lines tower. Long extint product of cold war. Most (not all) are de-actived. almost all were sold to ATC in early 2000s, and many are now privately owned. Hornes are there for you have extra altitue when you jump from them. They are microwave, but like I said, most are de-activated. Some have even been de-horned. Great towers, many have a few feet PAST the railing letting you take a running start.

Tony I suggest you invite somebody you know from CLE to check it out. I am definately up for this weekend. :)

Tony I suggest you invite somebody you know from CLE to check it out. I am definately up for this weekend. :)

Hell ya dude. I'd love to have you out here. You're welcome to crash at my place.

cold war relic as vid666 already posted... i did a bit of research and found an old bellsouth longlines map, those fuckers are EVERYWHERE.. and i mean everywhere.. using this map, a certain registry and google earth ive found 6 jumpable sites within 1.5 hours of my house as well as one so remote its a dayblazer..

more or less no matter where you live in the us you have a clean object very near you.. just have to know where to look... contact me, i just poste to blinc about these..

I believe those are microwave transmitter/horns. They are most likely inactive or only turned on periodically. You can probably feel the energy from them if they are on. Otherwise they should be safe. Probably about a 350 footer, right?

Yup. 350ft., but it looks alot bigger because of how wide it is. This thing is huge.

What would the energy feel like if it's on?

You might feel a tingle or heat. I think they may even have indicators letting you know if they're on. They are highly directional so just stay out of the front of them.

Put your hand in front of the horn. If after a min or so you can feel your hand getting warmer, then it's on.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Longline towers are also my favorite. They were designed to withstand a nuclear blast within 3 miles, so it goes without saying that they are very sturdy and will be there for a long time. There are some longline towers in my area that surround an underground government communications facility that is still in use.
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

Put your hand in front of the horn. If after a min or so you can feel your hand getting warmer, then it's on.

Wrong! Do not stand in front of the antenna or place parts of your body in front of it. By the time you figure out it’s hot, it’s to late. The damage has already been done.

I was working on a microwave antenna one day mounting wind protection equipment. I had the antenna shut off and was standing directly in front of it as I mounted it up. An unannounced (dumb ass rookie) worker came on sight, tossed the “I’m working up top” note from the panel and powered it up. He was below and I was up top so I no way of knowing the antenna was hot. The antenna does not have a power indicator light and makes no sound.

I’m not sure how long I was being exposed but I’m guessing it was several minutes. When I felt the pain, it was instant. My chest and guts felt like they were liquid lava and my head felt like it was going to explode. It brought me to my knees and I crawled off to the side. After a few minutes my guts began to knot up and then I proceeded to puke my guts out.

Not Fun!

If you are not sure if an antenna is hot, consider it hot. Stay off to the side and make your stay short.

Yeah, that'll happen from time to time.... My first time working on microwave dishes, i spent about 30 minutes in front of two dishes (kind of in a crossfire between them) while running some lines. They were small dishes (2' and 4') but they were active. I made the mistake of assuming that they had been shut off.

Chris, doesn't osha require you to have at least one person on the ground while you work upstairs? or was this some time ago?
-Ghetto
"The reason death cannot frighten me, is because life has cured me of fear."
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving

Hey Bert Man,

I’m sure they have some rules about working solo now. Plus harness requirements if you’re working over 6ft and all kinds of other good stuff. OSHA was pretty much non-existent back then.

Have Fun!
Baz