mikeLooney

Two canapies out in a downplane

I'm not advocating a huge backslide and skating all over the sky, that would be silly. It would be pointless to track in one direction, and then backslide back in the direction you just came from.

All I'm suggesting is pitching from a stable position, THEN bringing your arms forward to tilt your body into a head up position AS THE CANOPY IS DEPLOYING.

This will alter the windflow across your back after pitching, and MAY help to prevent hesitations in the first place.

I see what you're saying, but remember, you're also tilting the rig up, and giving your lines a better chance of catching under your reserve container or being drug across your flaps and possibly catching one.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

...THEN bringing your arms forward to tilt your body into a head up position AS THE CANOPY IS DEPLOYING.

If your canopy is already deploying, then your PC is already - clearly - - launched! How then, does this have anything to do with, or apply at all, as a technique (supposedly) to clear/prevent PC launch hesitation/being "in the burble"? ...???

You are now severely "reaching" / contradicting yourself, and continue to dig yourself in even deeper & deeper. :S

Dude - drop it. And move on. You are doing yourself no favors by continuing (in abject desperation in my observation) to try & find a way now, to somehow "justify" or "qualify" your original response. It was incorrect. We all make mistakes. Your post/reply to this particular subject was one is all. I understand what you may be trying to portray, as someone with a really solid track first STOPPING THEIR TRACK prior to deployment - but interpolating that into actually suggesting it as a viable practice/method versus practicing an otherwise stable-oriented deployment sequence, for purposes of using this as a method for (specifically) either off-setting for a weak throw, or - clearing a PC hesitation burble technique, as others are trying to also show you why - is just plain simply wrong.
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Somehow my suggestion has been misinterpreted....

Maybe this is one reason:

"I was giving advice to a jumper with 170 jumps how pitching properly and adopting a slightly head up position while doing so, COULD help PREVENT hesitations in the first place."

...which is different than:

"All I'm suggesting is pitching from a stable position, THEN bringing your arms forward to tilt your body into a head up position AS THE CANOPY IS DEPLOYING."

...and:

"This will alter the windflow across your back after pitching, and MAY help to prevent hesitations in the first place."

Why would I need to get windflow across my back if my canopy is already deploying?

I do understand what you are trying to say but the reasoning is confusing. We can only go by what you wrote.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If your canopy is already deploying, then your PC is already - clearly - - launched! How then, does this have anything to do with, or apply at all, as a technique (supposedly) to clear/prevent PC launch hesitation/being "in the burble"? ...???

Not the issue. The issue being discussed is what could happen if a jumper - as the advocate of the technique advises - sits up at a 45 degree angle to clear (or insure clearance) of the p/c at the time of pitching - which is NOT the same moment as when the bag launches. More specifically...

The advocate of the technique advises to sit up at the time of the pitch. This means that when the bag does launch, the jumper is already in a 45 degree head-high attitude, or some variation thereof. That can and has caused lines and risers to snag on the bottom of the reserve container resulting in a variety of nasty mals.

If you need some evidence, call pretty much any manufacturer and they can probably provide you with photos of rigs returned to the factory for repair after being damaged by "other than flat and stable" deployments.

There is more than one way to skin a cat, but some ways can kill you. Sitting up before your bag and risers have cleared the container - which is exactly what the advocate suggests - is simply asking for trouble.

If anyone doubts me, call a rig manufacturer and ask them what they think about the idea. Something tells me the advocate won't like the answer they give you.;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX