Margusja

Old teardrop and FXC 1200

No. And the best thing you could do with that FXC12000 is to toss it in the trash. I've seen more issues with them then they have solved in my experience compared to the newer computer controled AAD's.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Wow!
The last time I was asked to retro-fit an FXC 12000 to a Racer (in the mid-1990s), I mailed the Racer back to Jump Shack. You see, spacing from the end of the power cable housing to the top pin is critical, also one of the pins has to be shortened a bit.
While the two-pin Teardrop resembles an earlier Racer, there are just enough subtle differences that I would not want to do the retro-fit alone.

Far wiser mailing your Teardrop to Thomas Sports Equipment and having them do the retro-fit. The job should cost less than US$100.

Also, TSE will understand the finer points of installing Euro FXCs, which have several minor differences from American-made FXCs.

why would you want to? There are much better AAD out there.

You go with what you can afford. I got my FXC for $50 which was far cheaper than anything else on the market except maybe a Sentinel.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Ok, question since you are basing some equipment... what experience do you have with them or are you just repeating something someone mentioned?

I've done my 80 jumps with one, I've chamber tested a few of them and I've seen how they can screw up, but also how they will work. I still jump one on one of the tandem rigs I jump so I would'nt dismiss them completely.

And what is a FPS? The company is FXC and they are based out of Santa Ana, California and have been making parachutes and AAD's longer then most the people on this board have been skydiving.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've jumped with them in the past and didn't think much of them. I personally know of an individual who had it misfire while under canopy. But no I don't have the experience with them you do. Yes they are FXC 's not FPS's so I'll apologize for my ill humor to whoever it may offend.

some thing else to consider is that you need to have the FXC calibrated in a chamber every so often. I can't remember what the interval is off the top of my head but finding a rigger that has a chamber will be no easy task. I know that it has never been cost effective for me to buy one. Just food for thought.
Kevin

I've seen way too many bad comments about FXC's to just beleive that it's a bunch of malingers just bashing gear. However, my home DZ has many FXC's in service and we've never had trouble with any of them. Heck we have one we use for demonstration purposes that is over eight years out of date and has severe case damage and the thing still fires perfectly within spec. So maybe you either get a good one or you don't.

From my experience with them, they are good AAD's IF you respect their limitations.

1. Be aware that changes in weather can affect the setting. Not a real biggy, just be sure to check the setting before you get on the plane, which is easily accomplished since the readout is on the MLW.

2. Be aware that because it is mechanical, the FXC has no abort function. If your descent meets arming conditions, the FXC WILL fire once it reaches its activation altitude regardless of what your rate of descent is at that time.

3. Be aware that the FXC can be triggered by prolonged agressive canopy manuvers. Once again, this is not a big deal. If you are planning such manuevers, simply reach over and turn off the unit. Once again, it is easily accessible because it is mounted on the MLW.

So in many respects, the FXC is a lot like a VX, Xaos or other ultra high performance canopy. Respect its purpose and limitations and you'll likely be fine. Ignore them and you can get yourself killed.

Do I think the FXC is the end-all-be-all of AAD's? Of course not, there's been well over a decade of technological advancement since it came out. There are better, more capable units out there; however, that doesn't mean the FXC is fatally flawed. For a jumper with a older rig and a tight budget, an FXC can see them through until they can afford better gear.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

FXC 12000 AADs are supposed to be chamber tested at every repack. Since Pacific Skydivers keeps a dozen FXC-equipped student rigs on line, we invested US$3,000 in an official FXC test chamber.
However, few field riggers can justify the investment, so too many skip the functional check at every repack.
I have used a couple of home-made test chambers, but by the time you install a decent vacuum pump along with a freshly-overhauled, aircraft quality altimeter and rate of climb meter, they cost almost as much as official test chambers.

FXC 12000 AADs are supposed to be chamber tested at every repack. Since Pacific Skydivers keeps a dozen FXC-equipped student rigs on line, we invested US$3,000 in an official FXC test chamber.
However, few field riggers can justify the investment, so too many skip the functional check at every repack.
I have used a couple of home-made test chambers, but by the time you install a decent vacuum pump along with a freshly-overhauled, aircraft quality altimeter and rate of climb meter, they cost almost as much as official test chambers.

In order to meet requirements the chamber test must be done in a FXC chamber and the chamber must be re-certified every year if I remember right. You can also expect a window of + or - 1000 ft. on most of them. In their day they were just ok, but their day has long since pasted. Even FXC uses newer shit, it called the ASTRA.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals