TruePMs - wish I was kidding, but I'm not...

Hi Tom B

It was an honest question, I was curious and was not trying to discredit him. My fault was not to ask it via PM. Anyway, Sam and I have no problem with giving each other shit in real life. ;)

That's cool.

I was just being full of shit as usual.

If I have offended . . . . . . .toughen up, and just give it back to me ... ;)

Good luck with it all.

p.s. To answer your question (being serious now :)), I think that the absolute majority of BASE jumpers have not done any of the four prior to starting!!

It's just a good idea to do them.

And as someone else said - do as he says, not what he does.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

most wannbes I meet tend not to even have these two basic requirements...:S

are you talking about me ?? :| :D

No no. I am not thinking about you... You are a wanna be, who "got to be" ! Congratulations by the way!

I gotta give you crap. PM means "private message". I challenge you to justify your publicizing a private message. The guy is totally frank and asks some very valid questions for a wannabe. He could have just posted on board and get a ripping but YOU were the one he chose. You sold him out. What you did was CRAP!
CRAP!!.
Take care,
space

I challenge you to justify your publicizing a private message.

He didn't use the persons name, or identify them.

There might have been other people with similar thoughts or questions, but who hadn't asked them.

He shared a fairly good bit of useful information that would help people in the same situation, but who were not the original sender of the PM.

So, I'd justify it by saying he was trying to share information more widely than just a PM, and doing so without sharing the identity of the person who asked the question. I actually do that quite a lot, when I start a post with "one of my friends asked me..." and go on to post the discussion that I had originally just written as a response to them privately, but then decided that others might also find it useful or helpful.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

first, I have no idea why this person picked me to PM, I'm not from the area in their profile, maybe they just spammed a whole bunch of jumpers who post here?

dude it obvious why they chose you, your a post whore hahaha stop typin and start unpackin all that nylon

I do like a challenge. :)
I did it for all the reasons Tom stated and also:

the guy's attitude - look at his other posts

he might ask some valid questions, but he also asks some really ridiculous ones and mentions some really bad ideas that are easy options to him

if the PM was written in better English or it included a mention that English is not his first language, I would not have posted it

we need more eloquent basejumpers with initiative and a willingness to find information

if he was any of the above he would not have needed to PM me 90% of the questions he had, as the answers to those can easily be found on your own

The last reason was to discourage PMs like that which promote a spoon-feeding of knowledge and give pointers as to where the knowledge can be found for yourself.

I guess he picked the wrong person to PM.

cya
sam

He didn't use the persons name, or identify them.

There might have been other people with similar thoughts or questions, but who hadn't asked them.

He shared a fairly good bit of useful information that would help people in the same situation, but who were not the original sender of the PM.

So, I'd justify it by saying he was trying to share information more widely than just a PM, and doing so without sharing the identity of the person who asked the question. I actually do that quite a lot, when I start a post with "one of my friends asked me..." and go on to post the discussion that I had originally just written as a response to them privately, but then decided that others might also find it useful or helpful :) .

Hahaha, oh wow.