TomAiello

BASE Ethics: A crock of shit?

Hi Shane (and everyone else),

I hope you'll respond to this thread and we can discuss this a bit more, and that everyone can learn from it.

First, I've attached to this post three .pdf files. They are 3 articles about BASE ethics, written by Adam Filipino, Tom Begic, and myself. If you have the time to review them, I'd love the hear your thoughts on each of them, and specifically which points you feel are incorrect, unnecessary, or irrelevant, and also what leads you to your view that this is all "a crock of shit."

In my opinion, the bottom line here is about hurting other people. If we care about hurting other people (mostly other jumpers), it makes sense that we would consider the consequences of our actions in terms of how they impact (both positively and negatively) others.

Do you think that we should care if our conduct hurts others? Should we actively try to help others? Does it matter if other people are hurt by our actions?

Let me be clear that I am interested in discussing these topics, regardless of my personal views on the subject.

edit to replace Filipino article with copy on current CR letterhead ~TA
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Hey Tom, why didn't you highlight the other parts of my post that got your panties all in a bunch? Like:
"pretending that we are just totally reckless and disrespectful"
and
"Especially when people on this forum get thier panties all in a bunch."
You read these forums more than anyone. You of all people should know when someone is making a joke.

I'm actually interested in discussing that one specific statement of yours. That's why I quoted it.

So, does that mean that you aren't willing to discuss it? Or that it was just a joke and you didn't really mean it?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

"Ethics" isn't what you say.

It's what you do.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

So you partially quote me and then start a new thread with it in the header. That's the second time you've done this Tom. Hmmmm.....
Maybe if you simply just unbunched your panties you wouldn't have such a problem with me and wouldn't take comments out of context to try and make a point.

It's what you do.

That's dam straight. However, someone's perceived ethics can be totally different than what they really are.

I didn't think that the technical thread about CWADs needed to be side tracked into an ethics discussion, so I started a new thread and referred you to it. That wasn't an effort to take you out of context, it was my way of trying to keep that thread from drifting.

Why don't you provide the context for me, and help me to understand. Do you think that BASE ethics are a crock of shit, or was that just a joke? What, if any, ethical code do you subscribe to?

It sounds like you are saying that you are just misunderstood (or perhaps that I am intentionally misunderstanding you). Here's a chance for you to clear up that misunderstanding.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

It's what you do.

That's dam straight. However, someone's perceived ethics can be totally different than what they really are.

We all know how your ethics are perceived.

Tell me how the reality is different from the perception.

I'm not asking you to justify anything. I'm asking you to take the time to help me understand what you're saying.

My experience is that people will say all kinds of things, and those things are often quite meaningless in reality. The only way to make a judgment about anything a person does is to look at the action. Not the intention. Not the stated intention. And not the result. (Because all three may be totally different.)

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

That wasn't an effort to take you out of context, it was my way of trying to keep that thread from drifting.

Then why did you only quote the part that didn't show the obvious joking nature of my post? To make your point naturally. And with the use of comments taken out of context.

Why don't you provide the context for me, and help me to understand.

Already did that. Read my post.

Do you think that BASE ethics are a crock of shit, or was that just a joke?

Of course not.
Yes, duh.

What, if any, ethical code do you subscribe to?

The code of short replys

Rhonda,

Tell me how the reality is different from the perception.

That would take too long and we would disagree and since I'm so dam right anyway I won't bother.

I'm asking you to take the time to help me understand what you're saying.

Time is $ and this subject doesn't entertain me like 730 in 2006 does. Sorry.

That wasn't an effort to take you out of context, it was my way of trying to keep that thread from drifting.

Then why did you only quote the part that didn't show the obvious joking nature of my post? To make your point naturally. And with the use of comments taken out of context.

I did provide a link to the entire thread, and the post in question, in my original post. I had intended that to provide context for anyone interested in reading it.

In all seriousness, I was unable to tell that you were joking by reading your post. Given your past statements here, along with the angry correspondence I received from other jumpers in your crew when I first posted a draft of my ethics article, and the fact that you seemed pretty serious in most of that thread, I think it would be understandable for me to take your statements at face value.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Understandable.
The unfortunate thing about these internet forum thingies is one cannot detect tones and certain emphasis and general sarcasm very well without watching someone say it.
I'm still gonna jump from the top rail occasionally off of Miles' bridge.

I'm still gonna jump from the top rail occasionally off of Miles' bridge.

I thought it was JT's bridge?:P
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

You can't take a 7 off a 486' bridge, wiz kid.

AreUCrazy: That is pretty messed up, but I laughed so hard none the less, thanks;).

I has to say that it might be my bad english but i read Shanes post as a joke.

Yes Shane is black sheep,but try read some of his posts,and not look agressive to it,you´ll laugh your arse off.

I directed this post to Shane as im pointing at all of us.

I think that even as Shane aint cleaver(Shane,can you read my joke,if not contact a greenie,as it then is personal attack:P),ha has tryed to give us info on what RB team is doing and why.I think that deserve some respect.

Perhaps its me,but i think Shane do care about etics,so does Miles,Felix etc etc theyre just the yahooos or were it wooohoos?(Miles??) that takes things slightly further.In old days that were Pionering to day its called jackassing,as who are the pioners theese days(besides the manufactors)?
In my eyes thouse who puch the limits and goes that bit further the rest of us dont...

Sounds like im in love?Not at all,i just tryed to turn it 180 degree and then tryed to look at it again whith fresh eyes..

Am i wrong? i dunno,but i bet it made YOU think again..;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Am i wrong? i dunno,but i bet it made YOU think again..

Yes, it did.

You made me think you've gone over to the dark side.

rl

Yes, it did.

You made me think you've gone over to the dark side.

if you think that looking at things from different ways means entering the dark side then yes call me in to the dark side.

If looking at diffrent issues in different maners,concluding on your own means beeing on the wrong side then count me in.

To me BASE is ALL about doing the right dessisions at the right time,then deal whith what ever brings on.

If you conclude that my above post stated that im all in to what Shane has done(and probaly will do) then your wrong.But atleast i dare to look at things in different angels,and express my oppinions against the light side..

when did BASE become mainstreamed??:S or is it just a US thing:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

AreUCrazy, the attachment you have posted is one of the most digusting displays of bad taste that I have seen on a BASE/skydiving related forum.

I do not know if you ever had any contact with diabled people, but I can assure you that every single one of them who achieves participation in "the games" has achieved MORE than you might ever achieve. You might want to invest some of your time and energy in helping them and making their lives better instead of using it on an internet forum to make fun of them.

It's already hard enough for these people, and you making fun of them is NOT a display of compassion with the less fortunate. The attachment you posted shows nothing but just plain poor taste, bad education and a miserable mental attidute.

I ask you to remove the attachment, please.

oh, just in case you are one of the people that only speak one language (what are they called again?): the translation of my signature would be "respect is our task". that applies also to human beings outside of our sport.
flummi
* Respekt - ist uns're Aufgabe (fanta4) *

He Mann, Er macht nichts. dieses Foto war hier für eine lange Zeit. Nicht nur hier.

People that speak one language are called Americans.

People that speak one language are called Americans

im not sure the UK´s will agree:ph34r::D

Dansk er bedst:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

AreUCrazy, the attachment you have posted is one of the most digusting displays of bad taste that I have seen on a BASE/skydiving related forum.

Yes. But it was also funny.

Humour is often in bad taste.

people that speak one language usually speak English...thats because at one time we owned 75% of this planet and that was all you needed to know...its a bit different now we are owned by the USA and have some of the easiest immigration laws on the planet...(we even give saffers passports now)..

I had better go and load the aloominum and plexiglass oreggano fawcett into the trunk of my station wagon.

:)

He Mann, Er macht nichts. dieses Foto war hier für eine lange Zeit. Nicht nur hier.

Oh, dear b66to77, you are wrong on this point, he IS doing something. But before I go on I will give him some time to remove the attachment. And no, the fact that this picture has been around does NOT make it any less despicable.

Saluti
flummi
* Respekt - ist uns're Aufgabe (fanta4) *