87SupraT

CWAD - Altitude Loss

I know the only true way of knowing is trying it out, but I am hoping someone can help me out from experience.

My understanding of a Tard; the lines S folded in one hand, canopy in another, jump and throw the canopy above you and let the lines leave your other hand.

What if someone roughly the length of your lines above you held a pack preped canopy by the packing tabs and pilot chute attachment point(Or dead center of the center cell), then the jumper jumps, and the prepped canopy is released from assistance hands upon line stretch. The canopy would be grasped with two hands, one from each side to help prevent a 180. How soon do you think the canopy will be flying? Sorry if it seems I am rambling on, just typing it as I think of it. Thanks.

Dale
~Dale

Why not just build a giant 'T' shaped bar, and use close pins to clip the canopy to it in a pre-spread position? Don't laugh--I did that once, a long time ago.

Oh, wait, I have another idea...Why not just find a good headwind, and use it to blow the canopy up over your head. Then I bet you could use the risers to control it, and just step off the object. In fact, if you were really good at it, you wouldn't even need an object. You could just launch straight off the ground. :P
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Anytime someone else holds your unpacked canopy while you jump it is called a CWAD not a tard. Get it straight.
Sounds like it would work. Just don't fuck it up.

Heh, nice, were you flying fairly quickly from you T shap clothes pin contraption?

Kiting and stepping off had popped into my mind too, and the part of Texas I'm in is too flat for launching off the ground :(.

Clif, heh alright a CWAD got it. If I planned on doing it anytime soon it would be off a bridge(That I jump from during summer.) 60 feet above water, so not much of ride, rather pointless too, just wondering.

Dale
~Dale

If I planned on doing it anytime soon...

Please don't.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, but we don't need any more dead people.

87SupraT, do you have a BASE rig to do this with?

Why not just build a giant 'T' shaped bar, and use close pins to clip the canopy to it in a pre-spread position? Don't laugh--I did that once, a long time ago.

Oh, wait, I have another idea...Why not just find a good headwind, and use it to blow the canopy up over your head. Then I bet you could use the risers to control it, and just step off the object. In fact, if you were really good at it, you wouldn't even need an object. You could just launch straight off the ground. :P

It's called ground launching. I guess that's what the :P is for. I've done exactly this from two, um... objects (building (my balcony) and bridge) that were under 25', on a 107 sq ft elliptical canopy. then again, i've also done this from zero feet under the same canopy. launched from the flat ground, hovered and was pushed back a bit, landing about twenty feet behind the "launch point" (a parking spot) after 5 - 6 seconds of flight.

Go ahead and have at it. We have done 70 foot tards and cwads into lake water before. Yea, totally pointless but did it just to see how long the canopy ride would be. 1 was 1 second the other was 1.5.

Dexter,

I have a Reactor 1 Container and a Cruiselight 220 fitted with a tailgate and tail pocket. I know the Cruiselight isn't B.A.S.E. specific but I don't ever plan on doing a "real" B.A.S.E. jump with it. I jump from this bridge during the summer all the time with a couple not so feet first plunges B|, so "IF" I try it I should be fine, but there is definitely still a possibility of getting hurt. There is also going to be someone below me in the water with a raft, as soon as I land I would cut the canopy away and gather it and put it in the raft.

Dploi,

Under 25'?! Did it have time to inflate or were you kiting it and stepping off?

Clif,

Thanks for info, 1.5, that makes it worth while :)
~Dale

Yeah, but we don't need any more dead people.

Ah come on, where's your sense of adventure?

He specifically said...

If I planned on doing it anytime soon it would be off a bridge(That I jump from during summer.) 60 feet above water, so not much of ride.

60 feet won't kill you even if you tried, unless you're really skilled. I've jumped as high as 84 feet without canopy and while I don't recommend it per se, it's doable.

I'm not so much worried that it won't work on this bridge. I'm worried about what will happen if it does work. Will it plant the seed that leads to trying it from progressively taller objects. Before you know it, he's doing handheld freefalls.

Why, if he's not ready to be BASE jumping, has he obtained BASE gear? He has 2 skydives.

87SupraT, do you own skydiving gear?

I'm just concerned with the types of questions that are being asked by this particular poster (look at his post history), that he's about to start BASE jumping on his own, or at least simulate BASE type activities.

So, that is my concern. Has nothing to do with my sense of adventure.

Dploi,

Under 25'?! Did it have time to inflate or were you kiting it and stepping off?

Canopy was already flying before launch.

Ahh k I understand where you are coming from now. As it is hard to show honesty through text on a monitor I will try my best. I am pretty scared right now to do my 3rd jump(Eventfull Landing on my 1st), I have finally acquired enough money to purchase my AFF package. I can assure you I won't be jumping from anything taller or doing handhelds. Only reason I think of this is because the danger is very low and it would fun since I am bored as hell waiting for the semester to start.

The B.A.S.E. Gear, I purchased it because it was very cheap, I have been studying about B.A.S.E. for almost 2 years now and hoping to get my Rigging License this Spring. I learned how to pack reserves from online manuals and got this setup so I can learn to pack B.A.S.E. rigs with a tailgate and tail pocket, it is all for exposure. I am trying to be as knowledgable as I can before getting into it. After I get my A I will be jumping a big 7 cell from then on out until I have met the required jump number and mental mindset, then pursue a FJC. This is my plan, and I plan on working it.

I don't own skydiving gear, but I pack parachutes at my local DZ so I am fairly familiar with it.

My posting history, I am a very technical person, I like to know how and why something works, and the unexplainable. Sorry if my past posting has scared you, just trying to learn as much as I can.

Sincerely,
Dale
~Dale

No need to apologize. I'm just concerned.

Getting into BASE without enough skydiving experience can be a dark and scary road. You really don't want to walk it.

Kiting and stepping off had popped into my mind too, and the part of Texas I'm in is too flat for launching off the ground :(.

I can think of a place to ground launch for short flights that is in your town.

Have you tried contacting local jumpers for guidance?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Oh, yer not a base jumper.....
I take back my "'Go ahead and have at it" comment. Cwads and tards can be thrown very wrong even by people who think they are really good at it. Trust me I know. Don't do it. A back splat from 60 feet could cause some serious internal damage.

Oh, yer not a base jumper.....
I take back my "'Go ahead and have at it" comment.

Dude, are you feeling ok? My whole world view is being shaken here...
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Aw, c'mon cliff.Don't tell me you are thinking about what could go wrong!!!!:PAlso, my bet for miles is 425. Pete

I just don't want anyone to have fun death camping without me. That's all.
Death camping my friends is really funny. When it works that is. And then pretending that we are just totally reckless and disrespectful is even more fun. Especially when people on this forum get thier panties all in a bunch.
"Base Ethics" What a crock a shit.

Cliff, you gave good honest advice earlier and I appreciate it. I was just tickling your ribs, sorry if I chapped your ass!

you just made one more star in my book.B|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber