JaapSuter

Sleeve-Mod for Phoenix Jacket

Hey,

the guys in the Virtus movie seem to be holding some sort of sleeve-wideners in their Phoenix jackets. You can spot it around 7 minutes and 10 seconds into the movie. Any ideas what these are?

I'm already jumping the Phoenix combo with both tensioners along the inside of my pants (cue funny comment here) and from thumb to thumb through my sleeves. I could probably come up with something like what the people in Virtus use, but I might as well learn from their lessons.

I'd love to hear about other mods that people have made.

Thanks,

Jaap

Hi Jaap,

Q1 - Did you make or buy the tensioners?

Q2 - If one is to go to so much effort with a tracking suit why not use a Prodigy?

Regards

John

By tensoners do you mean a bungy cord?
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

Read this post by Han-Solo. He explains this, I have also seen Rook use a similar setup while skydiving.

Skreamer is using something like this as well.

Kris.

Did you make or buy the tensioners?

I made them. I started with two simple shoelaces... :)

If one is to go to so much effort with a tracking suit why not use a Prodigy?

Because I bought my pants and jacket combo before the Prodigy was released. Since then I haven't had the money to buy a Prodigy, although I'm hoping that'll change soon. Finally, I suspect there to be some minor safety advantages between the two. I've only worn a Prodigy once, and that was on the ground; while I agree that it is a beginners wingsuit with plenty of maneuvrability, I do suspect it is a step up from the pants and jacket combo in terms of complexity.

By tensioners do you mean a bungy cord?

Sort of. I originally used shoelaces, but I've since gone to using a thin elastic cord.

Read this post by Han-Solo. He explains this...

Thanks, but it doesn't mention the sleeve-mod. I already use most of what he mentions, having experimented with both the belt-to-thumb method and the thumb-to-thumb (across chest) method, now using the latter since it allows for better riser access without much diminishing the tension under the armpits.

No word on the sleeve mod? It looks like they have some sort of sturdy plastic handles into the sleeves that widen them.

Thanks, but it doesn't mention the sleeve-mod. I already use most of what he mentions, having experimented with both the belt-to-thumb method and the thumb-to-thumb (across chest) method, now using the latter since it allows for better riser access without much diminishing the tension under the armpits.

No word on the sleeve mod? It looks like they have some sort of sturdy plastic handles into the sleeves that widen them.

I was replying to FIREFLYR's post. I would like to see more info on the sleeve mod as well.

Kris.

Was watching a program on UK History channel and they did some tests on rubberized silk and rubberized the bit where they had just stiched and tested the porosity and the results were a lower porosity than 'Nylon'. I am not sure if they were talking about ZP.

I heard the term rubberised mentioned in regards to the pants that were used on these jumps.

From what I heard( from a BASE jumper who inturn heard.....) they were using their own design of pants and jacket. The Jacket does not look like a production PF Jacket for sure. Can some that has this information for sure respond please?

Kris.

From what I heard( from a BASE jumper who inturn heard.....) they were using their own design of pants and jacket.

That's what they posted on this forum, in another thread about it.

I know that I've seen a couple Karskland jumpers with full on homemade tracking suits (1 piece for the entire body), which also sported some interesting additions--a hard plastic (maybe lexan?) butt deflector about the size of the head of a snow shovel was perhaps the most interesting.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

"If one is to go to so much effort with a tracking suit
why not use a Prodigy? "

cause these kids are outflying prodigys...;)

maybe a wingsuit is a deadend for the best glide ratio... i dont really think so, but the idea is interesting.

My V1 is still in the mail, and i am in the middle of making my own design tracking suit...

Hey Jaap, what kind of performance differences have you noticed since you modified your suit? Are you flying it the same style as before or have you adopted a steeper, wider leg approach?

Gunnar

Uhh, you want fries with that?

Hey Jaap, what kind of performance differences have you noticed since you modified your suit? Are you flying it the same style as before or have you adopted a steeper, wider leg approach?

I fly faster and fall slower. It's definitely noticable. I'm flying the same as I did without the mods, but that was already with the wider leg approach. I also fly palms facing up, wingsuit style.

i am working on a bungy style setup for my suit... have you considered wear points? I am adding material at least to the crotch area for this.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

hey Jaap! would you mind posting a few pics of those mods you made ? looking into the phoenix pantz+jacket and would love to get a better idea of those 'tensioners'! Thanks! david

would you mind posting a few pics of those mods you made

Seems like a good idea. I'll have to borrow a digital camera, but I'll throw 'm up on BASE WIKI when I get them and let you know.

Thanks,

Jaap