JaapSuter

It's hard to find a mentor...

I am contemplating base once i have 500 jumps which should be by the end of 06. I live somewhere where there are only 2 guys who could possibly be mentors but they havent BASE'd in a few years and are not really into it at all. My best friend and I have decided to go to an FJC course together after we have 500.... but our plans after that are totally lost... We live somewhere where their are a couple of objects but nothing is set up or "open" as you guys call it.. so as far as im concernec.. after my FJC I will be out in the wilderness with no guide but myself and my buddy. We cannot travel to the US all the time to jump so we will have to figure somehting out.
I have a whole lot of respect for BASE and am willing to put in the time being ground crew.. I already read as much as i can about it... and i dont have anybody to be GC for...
enough with my whinning.. iwant it bad enough so im sure i will find a way..
Any suggestions?
Dan
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

Any suggestions?

Be smarter than the guy that has a mentor. Practice harder, prepare better, make sure you stick around for five days after your FJC at the Perrine, hope that you have a bucket full of luck, and then go at it alone.

It's been done before, it'll happen again, and if you're smart and slow, you'll have moderately good chances of survival for at least some amount of time.

I also highly recommend gathering some phone-numbers when you meet experienced people at the bridge. Asking for advice on these forums is great, but picking up the phone and talking to some BASE jumpers has often led to much better advice.

Any suggestions?

What Jaap said, plus, get a camera (the better the camera, the better the cover) and start finding your way to the top of objects as a "photographer". Get access figured out and start learning about site analysis from the ground and the exit.

-C.

Any suggestions?

After FJC training (and additional time at the bridge immediately thereafter), it can help a lot to find a few experienced jumpers who are going on a road trip and go along with them. I did this when I had 5 jumps, and I got to see, and learn from, a whole bunch of different objects and more experienced jumpers, and also got to watch and participate in the scoping process for several new (to them) objects. It was amazingly educational. It cost me two weeks of vacation, and several thousand miles on my vehicle, and it was well worth it.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Here's my application Jaap:

CRW - done a few. http://ozcrw.tripod.com/ ;)
Accuracy - working on it.
BASE Gear - got my own and have done a couple of jumps on it.
Mentor - that might be a struggle. Nobody likes me!!! B|

And the experienced guys in my area ARE crusty old demons!!

Here's an offer I'll throw out to all the prospective jumpers in North America.

That's discrimination against "otherers". Howabout we go halves from downunder?

Where do I go for the interview?

but BASE jumpers complain that there is too much drama in the skydiving community (and there is drama there for sure). But all I see lately around here is drama in itself.

You've hit that nail somewhere near the cranium!!!!!

There are those that complain, and those that just get on with the business. e.g. I might look like the 20th terrorist from Sept 11th, but I still visit the good old paranoid USA despite the harrassment I get at the airports. I've got a choice, don't go and complain, OR, go and put up with a little shit for a LOT of fun!!!!! I know which is the better choice!!!

I think we are also experiencing too many scenarios where the jumper wanting to get into BASE has barely a hundred skydives, below average canopy skills, and not the right attitude (i.e. reluctance to ground crew, burning objects). People are less patient today and want instant rewards without having to pay the "dues" or follow the progression suggested by others.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Exactly! The problem is not with potential mentors, it's with potential students. Do things right, and you'll easily find a mentor.

Dare say that to the two second attention span, I don't give a shit, me, me, me, I have no time, I don't want to stop to smell the roses, you can stick the roses where they fit, where's my next kick, what box do I tick next, I have no respect for anything else in the universe, it's not my fault as my parents brought me up this way, Nike, Pepsi Max, etc person, and they just look at you funny or ignore you.

People these days don't seem to understand about privilege, they only believe in personal rights and they blame everybody else when things don't go their way. That is what society is creating.

I disagree. I have observed the average skill level of jumpers in the sport dropping dramatically. &
I think that traditional mentoring produces jumpers with a much higher average level of skill and knowledge, and that an expansion of traditional mentoring could really help to boost the average skill level of jumpers today, and especially of jumpers who've started in the "modern" training system.

I think so too. People are trying "stuntier jumps" but with much less skill, preparation, practice, understanding, or real applied knowledge. They are pulling it off and having a chuckle when the bridle gets caught on their feet momentarily with the ensuing two second canopy ride. Yay, cool dude, did you see the vid, man, that was tooooo cooooollllll, what a close call, yeah dude!!!!! Yet they do NOT realise that they were only 0.2 seconds away from death. Ah, but it is the nature of the sport apparently, they accepted that BASE was dangerous when they started, so dying is acceptable to them - but it IS NOT fucking acceptable to the family and friends that are left being wondering!!!!!

More outspoken experienced jumpers.

This becomes very tiring after a while. You lose friends and aquaintances because you change from being nice and indirect to blunt after seeing one too many bounces. And it is worse when people come to you and lie about their motives, experience, etc. This is blatantly using an experienced person's time/hospitality/skills/etc for personal gain without considering the fact that you may be undermining their ethics/guilt/conscience/etc.

And when people refuse to listen and pursue their own path because they think it is better or more fun, what can you do? I personally could not be stuffed wasting a second of my time on an adult who will not listen and is convinced that they are right (without any facts/background/experience/logic behind their thoughts). I will only help those that want help (if I can help). Why? My time is precious. Your (I mean the potential student here) life is only precious to me if it is precious to YOU. If you do not give a shit about your life, THAT IS YOUR DECISION. I can live with your decision.... You can live or die by it!!!!.

This is why many experienced jumpers don't want to mentor.

There are many other reasons:
- time to move on
- family, wife, children
- business &/or careers
- other interests

etc.

I can speak for most men and say we get from BASE one genuinely masculine thing. A tingling scrotum . .

I think you better check that out with a Doctor Nick. One too many antenna jumps???? :D
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Thank goodness (or fukc) for that. ;)

You will go a long way in the sport, and you are welcome downunder anytime!!!!

All the very best of luck with it all.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

That's discrimination against "otherers". Howabout we go halves from downunder?

Where do I go for the interview?

Don't do it, Jaap.

He'll trap you at the exit point at dawn, and he'll start talking and the next thing you know, it'll be midnight.

And a hearty :P to you, Tom.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

He'll trap you at the exit point at dawn, and he'll start talking and the next thing you know, it'll be midnight.

With the right company and a beautiful exit point, there are few things I'd rather do. Jumping is secondary...

With the right company and a beautiful exit point, there are few things I'd rather do. Jumping is secondary...

:D Damn. I forgot who I was writing to. Make that "dawn, two days hence" instead.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

cut your hair and you migt get to that point one day:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

So let's say I'm being honest and realistic and I would make sure I have:

- 200 jumps
- 50 of those spent doing Canopy flight exercises/drills (mind...I'm not saying CRW)
- at least 150 of those practicing landing
- I'll get in shape and maybe do some board diving or gymnastic just to be in control of my body (not with the purpose of doing gainers)
- I'll buy my own rig and let you advise me on what to get etc.
- I'll travel out to anywhere and stay there for up to 2 months, groundcrew you and do your dishes

Would you be willing to help me through those first jumps? This is all hypothetically so even if you say yes I won't take you up on it. Just curious.

I'm not sure if your post is directed to Rhonda Lea or myself, but in case it's intended for me....

- 200 jumps
- 50 of those spent doing Canopy flight exercises/drills (mind...I'm not saying CRW)
- I'll get in shape and maybe do some board diving or gymnastic just to be in control of my body (not with the purpose of doing gainers)
- I'll travel out to anywhere and stay there for up to 2 months, groundcrew you and do your dishes

Would you be willing to help me through those first jumps? This is all hypothetically so even if you say yes I won't take you up on it. Just curious.

Assuming that your active local scene is not willing to take you on as groundcrew...

You need to add a first-aid course, and make at least twenty skydives on the very BASE canopy you intend to jump with. I'd also want to talk to your DZO and possibly one of your nearest family members (depending on your age). Having rock-climbing and mountaineering experience is also major bonus points.

Then scrap the dishes, and make it three weeks instead of two months, at least one of which is spend at the Perrine.

And most importantly, you need to be a nice guy with the right attitude.

Then possibly I'd be interested in transfering my knowledge with the proviso that my slider-up experience is very limited.

It would probably consist of a short week of groundcrewing, packing and other exploration and touristy stuff. Then a long week at the Perrine where you'll be packing intentional line-overs among other suicidal stuff. Then we'd tour the west-coast on our way back north getting at least an A, E and O in BC and potentially in other places depending on how the locals receive us.

It's deathcamping, Jaap style.

Do remember that by making 200 skydives you'll have more skydiving experience than I do! :D

Then we'd tour the west-coast on our way back north getting at least an A, E and O in BC and potentially in other places depending on how the locals receive us.

It's deathcamping, Jaap style.

E? Hell, man...unless you've got some super overhung, 270ish degrees off the exit that you haven't told me about... Don't you think that might be a little soon? A week at the Perrine, doing all sorts of object avoidance is great and all, but experience over time, with breaks in between to absorb and rethink what the new jumper has learned does have some benefit. Otherwise, what's to stop someone from hucking 50 off the Perrine in a week and heading to Moab? Would you advocate that?

-C.

Otherwise, what's to stop someone from hucking 50 off the Perrine in a week and heading to Moab? Would you advocate that?

I'd never advocate anything. The sport carries to many risks to be advocated in any possible way.

However, I do think the right person with the right mentality and the right 50 jumps at the Perrine (with proper brake-settings and most of them dedicated to obstacle avoidance drills) can go to Moab and jump with no more risks than most of us (meaning Splatula) jump some of our E's with.

If you think you're more prepared for a slider-down 180 offheading with line-over than the hypothetical person above, think again.

If you think you're more prepared for a slider-down 180 offheading with line-over than the hypothetical person above, think again.

No...I'm not saying that at all. Hypothetical person...yeah, okay. I get what you're saying. Personally, I think I'd put that hypothetical person of a hypothetical B for their first solid object before I'd put them off a hypothetical E. Maybe that's just me, though. Just seems a little too "ASE-in-a-week", but that's just my opinion.

Good thing Abbie's banned. He'd be ripping us new ones right now.

-C.

Personally, I think I'd put that hypothetical person of a hypothetical B for their first solid object before I'd put them off a hypothetical E. Maybe that's just me, though.

Why is that? I think in general Bs tend to be more advanced than Es. There are exceptions, the popular B in LA arguably being one of them.

Just seems a little too "ASE-in-a-week", but that's just my opinion.

No, it's "ASE-in-three-weeks". But not necessarily for the sake of getting a number or some letters. It's for the sake of getting exposure to different objects and environments in a short amount of time. I could take them off a B too, but I'd rather do a crane instead. It comes with all the educational value of an illegal urban night-jump, but carries less risk. Plus, it leaves something they need to do on their own. Call it an 'exam'.

Good thing Abbie's banned. He'd be ripping us new ones right now.

Pfff, like he's the hero of responsible behavior... :D

Why is that? I think in general Bs tend to be more advanced than Es. There are exceptions, the popular B in LA arguably being one of them.

Why? Heading correction. 270 degrees to play with instead of the typical 180. That's subjective on E's and B's to the actual object, though, so neither of us really have an argument. It all comes down to the specific object.

No, it's "ASE-in-three-weeks". But not necessarily for the sake of getting a number or some letters. It's for the sake of getting exposure to different objects and environments in a short amount of time.

I wasn't accusing you of chasing numbers, and I glossed over the first two weeks. GCing, packing, sneaking around, learning about site analysis will be time well spent. Taking that into consideration, maybe you're onto something. I'll give you a little more credit.

Pfff, like he's the hero of responsible behavior...

I think his actual title is "Savior of BASE on Public Lands"...oh, and his Indian name is "Burning Asshole".

-C.

Why is that? I think in general B's tend to be more advanced than E's. There are exceptions, the popular B in LA arguably being one of them.

Why? Heading correction. 270 degrees to play with instead of the typical 180. That's subjective on E's and B's to the actual object, though, so neither of us really have an argument. It all comes down to the specific object.

But many E's give you nice easy landing areas, less turbulence, and stress-free legalities. The pressure of jumping an illegal object in the middle of the night while the clock is ticking, even the slightest breeze is doing funky stuff and your landing area has a bunch of cars parked in it, far outweigh the extra 90 degrees you get on some, not all, buildings.

But I think we both agree that real comparisons are site-specific, so whatever. Let's make fun of Abbie instead.

But many E's give you nice easy landing areas, less turbulence, and stress-free legalities. The pressure of jumping an illegal object in the middle of the night while the clock is ticking, even the slightest breeze is doing funky stuff and your landing area has a bunch of cars parked in it, far outweigh the extra 90 degrees you get on some, not all, buildings.

But I think we both agree that real comparisons are site-specific, so whatever.

BINGO.

-C.

As long as the jumper doesn't have any serious off heading issues, your local E is also a fantastic object to get some canopy time in as well. It's far from an easy object, but it's less stressful than the urban jungle.

Let's make fun of Abbie instead

Didn't we do that on his last visit here? If not, I think we need to make him hike up more mountains ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Do remember that by making 200 skydives you'll have more skydiving experience than I do!:D

then i guess you have been busy doing BASE jumps as your profile says 242,or is that parachute # total? i cant figure out your profile..:ph34r::D

student 1038? as far as i know its your BASE# having the # means your an experienced dude ,so why the student thing?:)

in the sport 4 years? that has to be skydiving right:P

It's deathcamping, Jaap style

can i join,i really want to learn how to snowboard:ph34r::D

dont be rugh to Abbie,it aint his fault.. i think:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

- 200 jumps

Don't forget to do some skydives focussed on tracking. In North America, we often forget the terminal part of jumps, and as a result we have, on average, much worse tracking skills than most European jumpers.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

then i guess you have been busy doing BASE jumps as your profile says 242,or is that parachute # total? i cant figure out your profile..

To be entirely honest, it started as a lame attempt to disguise the fact that I lack sufficient skydives to be a safe BASE jumper. Then it slowly transitioned into the question; how often have I plummeted towards the earth requiring action to save myself from death?

student 1038? as far as i know its your BASE# having the # means your an experienced dude ,so why the student thing?

I have to wholeheartedly disagree with the fact that a number makes a person experienced. There are plenty of beginners with BASE numbers, including myself. There was a time where BASE numbers said something about skill and knowledge, but these days they are a historic link to the beginning of the sport, and not much more. That doesn't diminish their value though!

As for the student thing; being a student has been one of my guiding philosophies in life, not just in BASE but in anything I do. I've always found that if you set yourself up to learn something from any situation, you'll come out with more skill and knowledge than you had before. It also reminds me that humility and modesty are good traits, something I definitely need to be reminded of occasionally.

I could have 5000 BASE jumps, but I'd still call myself a student.

in the sport 4 years? that has to be skydiving right

Yeah.

Don't forget to do some skydives focussed on tracking. In North America, we often forget the terminal part of jumps, and as a result we have, on average, much worse tracking skills than most European jumpers.

I know tons of good trackers (there's at least a dozen really good trackers at my former DZ in CO). It's just that you need to hang out at the DZ and get in on some of their tracking dives to see how good they are. But there are way too many BASE jumpers who look down on skydiving to bother going to the DZ and thus come to the conclusion that there are no good trackers around here. :S

Plus if people hand handle stomaching a little skydiving, this video shows a sample of some good trackers and these aren't even the people I speak of in CO who do (almost) daily tracking dives.