atree

Himalayas

Are there many well known spots anywhere in the east that are popular with base jumpers here? Say Nepal, india, pakistan or china? Basically anywhere in the Himalayas. I would think that this area has amazing potential but I haven't heard much about it.

I was thinking about this the other day actually..
I have been to Kashmir (India side) a few times and I was just thinking that some of the cliffs I have seen there would be really jumpable (in my completely non-professional opinion).
There is a place in Kashmir called Pahelgam. There is an army base at the bottom, from there you can hire guys with horses and they take you up these cliffs - those are the ones I think you would be able to jump. But the landing areas aren't that easy. There is a river running at the bottom and there are large flat rocks all around it. I don't really know how big base landing areas need to be but I think it would be do-able.

As with any big mountain range, I am sure there is plenty of jumping opportunities in the Himalayas. For many reasons, the himalayas are probably not that popular.

However, India has a lot more accessible earthbound jump locations, not as high as the Himalayas but plenty high.

Kris.

Here is a photo from Kashmir.. the cliffs in the back give you an idea however they are in no way reflective of all that is there.

Edit to first post: the place is called Sonamarg not Pahelgam.

Some of the most noticeable spots are Baghirati III and Trango massif in the Himalayas. Trango tower had been jump in early 90's by Nic Feteris and Glen Singelman and more recently (sept 2005) by a french guide Sam Beaugey who did spend 19 days on the sheer vertical wall before wing-suit jumping the Pulpit. Baghirati III has seen a french expedition (Jerome and Christophe Blanc-Gras and Lionel Deborde) last year. They went on top and rappealed down to the presumed exit point but unfortunatly the first 200m are not overhang enough.

I was in that part of the world (Norther India, Ladakh, Kashmir) in the late eighties. I was just a little shitty teenager but I do remember what I consider now jumpable objects.

That corner of the world is IMO one of the most beautiful, soul inspiring places on earth.

Why don't we organize a BASE expedition there?
Memento Audere Semper

Why don't we organize a BASE expedition there?

Can we wait 2 years? I want to come too!

That corner of the world is IMO one of the most beautiful, soul inspiring places on earth.

It is. It really really is.