dmcoco84

What is more Dangerous?

So I'm sitting at the dinner table with the family and I make a comment: "So, when I get into a fire department, I'm gonna buy myself a crotch rocket. Its gonna be my reward to myself for all my hard work." (I have always wanted one) My mom replies "No your not! “I'd rather you stick to jumping off a building than buy one of those damn things."

I thought that was hilarious! :D

Edited to add: Well....I should say crotch rockets aren't dangerous by themselves. Its moreso other crappy drivers that run into you that is dangerous.

now thats funny!
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Your poll has a small flaw. :)
BASE is inherently more dangerous, but you're more likely to get killed riding your motorcycle (especially if you use it as your primary mode of transportation).

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Your poll has a small flaw. :)
BASE is inherently more dangerous, but you're more likely to get killed riding your motorcycle (especially if you use it as your primary mode of transportation).

rl

True! Yea I won't use it as primary, just weekends and times when there are typically smaller amount of cars on the road. Like late night rides!! I am night owl so 2am cruises would be awesome.

with BASE, every idiot on the load.

Hmmm,...interesting thought! And how exactly could those idiots kill you or have you killed when on the load, but not on the multiple-way?

J.

www.vandrunen.ch

It was more a comparison of the teaming thousands of complete idiots on the road to the small handful of people you've placed significant trust in on a load.
-C.

if you ride on the weekends only make sure to ride SLOW, you do not need a lot of cars to crash, just a wet road and an old lady in a rusty van to pull right in front of you from a hidden driveway. if you want to ride fast you better live on the bike. i quit riding when i started jumping.

I should say crotch rockets aren't dangerous by themselves. Its moreso other crappy drivers that run into you that is dangerous.

It's your responsibility as a motorcyclist NOT to put yourself into a situation where one of these morons will take you out. Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation style training course if you've never taken one. They will teach you survival skills such as counter steering, emergency braking techniques, object avoidance (this includes driving over some objects even when traveling at highway speeds) and they will teach you where to position yourself in traffic for maximum visibility. Oh and intersections are the most dangerous places for motorcyclists, so enter them with extreme caution and care.

As to which one is more dangerous, BASE jumping or motorcycling? My vote is for the sport which draws people to show the least respect, the most complacient behaviour and the one where you're more likely to do while intoxicated. With that I can't vote in your poll because both disciplines are NOT safe and I do them both. But for you average Joe, they do take riding a motorcycle too lightly and many of them (despite what they think) don't know what they're doing since they don't know how to counter steer, have little emergency braking practice, usually place themselves in danger veering away from obstacles on the road they can easily ride over and have the faintest idea where to position themselves in traffic for maximum visibility. So I'm guessing for most of us BASE has the potential to be safer because most (not all) BASE jumpers do look at safety as an important issue before they jump. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

just a wet road

Wet roads are NOT to be feared if you've got good tires, the right attitude and some experience. Icy roads? Now that's a different story.

I know twice as many dead riders as base jumpers if that makes any difference.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

I should say crotch rockets aren't dangerous by themselves. Its moreso other crappy drivers that run into you that is dangerous.

It's your responsibility as a motorcyclist NOT to put yourself into a situation where one of these morons will take you out. Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation style training course if you've never taken one.

Thats a great Idea! Thats for that suggestion. I will definitly do that!

Coco

That's not a fair comparison since there are far more people riding motorcycles than there are people hucking themselves off of fixed objects.

I say there are no accidents in motorcycling (every incident could have been avoid with proper respect and training). The same can not be said for all skydiving/BASE jumps where the person did everything right and still died.

I say there are no accidents in motorcycling (every incident could have been avoid with proper respect and training).

That's a pretty bold statement.:S

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

I say there are no accidents in motorcycling (every incident could have been avoid with proper respect and training).

it's not bold, it's just plain ignorant assuming that a rider can control every aspect of the environment they're in.

yes, I ride and yes i've been in an accident.

That's not a fair comparison since there are far more people riding motorcycles than there are people hucking themselves off of fixed objects.

You could do a weighted statistic. if you had exact numbers

I say there are no accidents in motorcycling (every incident could have been avoid with proper respect and training). The same can not be said for all skydiving/BASE jumps where the person did everything right and still died.

I don't agree with that. Some shit you just can't avoid!

I don't agree with that. Some shit you just can't avoid!

Give me some examples of incidents that you think aren't avoidable. If you let some other motorists collide with you (sure that motorists could have been at fault because they were not paying attention), you just didn't do everything in your power to avoid the collision.

Motorcyclists need to be proactive while they are on the road. I don't buy into this crap of it being the other guys fault. You let it happen to you. Don't let it happen to you. Know your limits, stay withing those limits. Know what counter steering is, practice it as well as emergency braking and for gods sake don't try a swerve over that pot hole or tire when it's much easier and safer to ride over it. And if you don't believe me that you can't ride over an object like a tire on the road, then you obviously haven't tried it. As part of my MSF training back in the 90s, my instructors had me riding over tires and wood crates to prove to myself that it can be done (not to mention the drills they put us through to enhance our counter steering and emergency braking skills).

Oh and there are two types of motorcyclists. Those who have crashed and those who have yet to crash. I fall into the crashed category. I low sided it going around a very tight mountain road and it was totally my fault. Too much testosterone and not enough respect for my limits as a motorcyclists.

it's not bold, it's just plain ignorant assuming that a rider can control every aspect of the environment they're in.

Ignorance? Please spare me this crap ... take responsiblity for your actions. Be pro-active with your riding. If you're not willing to do this, then you really shouldn't be on the road. Sure there may be the extremely rare case where you did everything in your power and still came out on the short end of the stick. But are you the type of person to just sit back and let shit happen to you or are you pro-active type. Don't let that asshole kill you. Always stay within your limits, pay attention on the road and seek training if you haven't because you don't know shit if you just let things happen to you because you don't regularily practice counter steering and emergency braking. Know where to position yourself on the road for maximum visibility and don't go through intersections in a complacient manner.

Too much testosterone and not enough respect for my limits as a motorcyclists.

what you're failing to realize (or are too stubborn to admit) is that there are two kinds of accidents, those that are your fault and those that are the other driver's fault.

until you've been in the latter of the two, you'll continue to ride around over-confident and cocky. i just hope you survive the encounter.

Give me some examples of incidents

A guy I knew died a few years ago because a pickup truck made a left hand turn into him. He didn't hit the truck, the truck hit him broadside at a relatively high rate of speed. He had the right-of-way, not the guy in the truck.

Was it avoidable? I don't know. In my mind, I can't envision a scenario that would have saved him, short of not being on the bike at all.

Where I live (DeLand, which is less than 20 miles inland from Daytona), we have a lot of bike accidents. I read the accounts in the paper sometimes, and it just doesn't very often seem that the fault lies with the biker.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

until you've been in the latter of the two, you'll continue to ride around over-confident and cocky. i just hope you survive the encounter.

WTF? How the fuck am I being over confident here? Spare me your bullshit. I'm telling people to be pro-active, to not let that other guy on the road kill you. Seek training, keep that training current. Once again you put yourself in that situation where you let the other guy try and kill you. This is not overconfidence and it's not all that difference from the training skydivers, BASE jumpers and pilots must routinely put themselves through.

I never said riding a motorcycle was safe. But it's 1000 times more dangerous for those who don't stay current with their emergency procedures (let alone those who don't even have the faintest idea as to what to do in an emergency).

Just because the light is green and I have the right of way over that guy making that left hand turn doesn't give me the go ahead to just enter that intersection without evaluation my speed and potential outs and where to position myself on the road to find that out. Be pro-active with your riding (and your jumping) and you may just be able to handle that emergency when it happens. Shit still may happen to those who are prepared, but at least they're ready for it. To just enter an intersection because the light is green is a mistake.

"I say there are no accidents in motorcycling "

That is not true at all. I have a buddy that was sitting at a stoplight and got rear-ended out of nowhere - two broken legs and an arm to boot. Completely unpreventable unless he had just stayed home for the day.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

That is not true at all. I have a buddy that was sitting at a stoplight and got rear-ended out of nowhere - two broken legs and an arm to boot. Completely unpreventable unless he had just stayed home for the day.

Okay you got me on that one. :)

It's kind of like being killed thanks to some sort of natural dissaster. Sometimes you can do everything right and still be killed. But for those people who think they don't need to pay attention or feel they don't need specialized safety training (because they've been riding for "x" number of years), there are playing with fire. It's amazing how many people don't know what counter steering is and amazing how many people have never practiced emergency braking. I guess they're just too cool to be thinking of asking someone else about the life saving emergency procedure and where to position themselves on the road for maximum visibility (fuck I'm starting to sound like a broken record here).

Let's go jumping since we know riding a motorcycle is NOT safe.

If
1. There were as many Basejumpers as there were bikers.

and

2. The percentage of idiot/unprepared Basejumpers was equivalent to the percentage of idiot/unprepared bikers.

Then I would think Base was a LOT more dangerous (as in: more likely to get you killed)