MrBrant

PCIT idea....

Well, it seems there has been an influx of non-base jumper amature designers or idear-guys lately, and it's time for me to throw my hat in.

I'm not a base jumper yet myself, but it is something that I am interested in for the future.
I'm not farmiliar with the exact construction of base rigs, or how they differ from skydiving containers.

That being out of the way, I've been reading a few stories on these boards lately, of jumpers barely surviving PCIT malfuncitons. I was awake thinking one night (that's trouble right there), and I had an idea.

Now, this would only work on pin rigs (If it would work at all).
Using a skydiving container as my referance, I was thinking, that the white closing loop is held in place (in my case, to the bottom flap) by a knot on the backside of a washer. The loop is then pulled through the gromets and pinned of course.

Now, what if, instead of a knot holding the loop in place, we were to use a piece of cutaway cable.
(The closing-loop would have to be looped on both ends, like some white 3-ring loop on some student contaiers, or Vector tandem drogue releases. )
Now, the yellow cable would be attached to another handle, say at the left side BOC.
If you had a PCIT from, a knotted PC, or un-inflated PC or something, you could pull this new handle, and allow the closing loop to be pulled right through the gromets.

See attached diagrams.

Now, the question would be, would a PC without enought drag to pull a pin be able to lift a canopy off your back? This, i don't know.
It would obviously add more complexity to the system, but if it's your last chance.....

I have to assume somebody's had this idea before (or one very similar to it). It seems very simple to me. Was it ever tried, and why (or did) it ultimatly fail the test of time?

Thoughts..?

From the stories i have heard of PCITs, and one i have seen, they have either been from PC hesitations (a non inflation for a few seconds) or something other than Pins, IE- one i saw was from multi point bridal stowing problems.

While a great idea, i also dont think somebody would have time to realise its actualy a pin problem, and pull the handle, on a 5 second cliff. it also complicates some things...

but keep them coming.

haha nice!!

I guess that's what I get for not opening that forum this week ;)

can anybody think of a downside to this idea, besides 'you'll probably be munching on soil before it would help'?

I suppose a jumper could fixate on this handle during a pc-in-burble instead of trying to alter body position to shrink the burble. (if that is, in fact, standard procedure?)
oh, and the "1 more component to maintain, and that could break down"

and, thanks for the searches pringles. some interesting reading. :)

How about snagging it at some point (like an exit point) and being dragged off a tower with a heinous horseshoey mess strapped to your back. Or pulling the wrong handle during freefall.

Or worse, giving the thing a neon pink handle which forces people to assume your are light in your loafers.

Death I can handle. Being mistaken for a skydiver? I'm not so sure.

B|
$kin
There's only one Tom Aiello...

1) One 2-pin container has come across my eyes using bungee closing loops. I think its genius. Is there any history of this in base or skydiving?

2) Another. even more genius, idea I've seen is to use velcro to close the container instead of pins.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Or pulling the wrong handle during freefall.

Do that and you're sure to be mistaken for a skydiver.

Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

1) One 2-pin container has come across my eyes using bungee closing loops. I think its genius. Is there any history of this in base or skydiving?

You've been hanging around with Ray for too long. It's time for you two to take a break from each other ;)

2) Another. even more genius, idea I've seen is to use velcro to close the container instead of pins.

You're too fucking funny man! :ph34r::D
Memento Audere Semper

I think you have a great idea,sadly i dont think im gonna buy it as if i dont get a chute as i ask for it,i might dont have the time to pull or atleast get a chute out by a 2.chance..
Nah i rather do it right first time:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

hey, I ain't sellin 'nuttin :P .

yeah, I agree the time factor would probably eliminate almost all chance of this helping anything at all.

oh well, at least if other people had the same idea, I know I'm not waay out in the weeds. ;)