87SupraT

Risers v. Toggles

Thanks for the information guys. So, deep brakes incase you have an off heading opening, the slower foward movement gives you time to steer away.

Say you have a 180 and you wanna steer away, would you use the rear risers, pop one toggle and turn leaving the other still set, or pop both toggles and turn?

Dale

edit for thread title ~TA
~Dale

Say you have a 180 and you wanna steer away, would you use the rear risers, pop one toggle and turn leaving the other still set, or pop both toggles and turn?

Opinions vary. I recommend you start a new thread if you want to discuss that. You'll find that it's a subject of much debate.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

http://www.johnnyutah.com/risersortoggles.html

I haven't heard anyone recommend to pop only one toggle and not both.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

Be sure to read this thread as well.

In the link given upboard, the author appears to misrepresent the opinion of at least one authority (Dwain Weston). Dwain's personal views are reproduced (from Dwain's posting on the subject) in the thread I linked.

You should also watch the video of Slim's Accident (you can see it in his memorial video here). Remember that this is video of probably the world's best and most current BASE jumper, at the top of his game, fumbling his toggle (and consequently suffering devastating injury). If you think that you can "for sure" grab your toggle better than Slim, I advise you to reconsider.

Definitely do a forum search here for these topics. You'll find a bunch of old threads with varying views. Reading them may help you form your own views on this question.

And now, we get a new thread to revive the age old debate.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Tom, do you know what kind of toggles Slim was using at the time ?

Tom, do you know what kind of toggles Slim was using at the time ?

Regular LRT style toggles. Not Big Grabs. He later said that he though the Big Grabs might have helped him not to fumble.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

results from 2 jumps in a row, same scenario with a Mojo. Jump 1: steer with one riser with both brakes stowed. Turn was not as fast as I wanted but ok. Jump 2: unstowed one brake and pulled it way down and things happened very slowly. Too slowly almost. One thing to add to the equation is that one can only do a quickdraw simultaneous brake release if the risers are not twisted or distorted from the opening direction. If this distortion happens, then one must choose which hand to go to which riser/toggle independently and then apply the opposite action to the other. I will never go for releasing one toggle over riser control again.
hope this helps.
take care,
space

Toggles = death.

Risers = Live to die another day.

I can't believe we are still arguing this . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Sorry for the trouble, I didn't mean to revive an old debate. I am trying to learn as much as possible from several sides of the spectrum :).

Thanks for the links, reading through em now.

Dale
~Dale

Toggles = death.

Risers = Live to die another day.

I can't believe we are still arguing this . . .

I wish it were that easy... the only bulletproof answer is "hmm, it depends" ;)

In particular, it depends on what exactly are you going to strike: an object in front of you or an object/ground below you. This roughly draws the line between risers and toggles.

Then again, if you are that close to the object and that far from the ground - why didn't you take it lower? :P

bsbd!

Yuri