SummerGirl

gear depreciation?

Does anyone know how much/how quickly canopies, rigs, and AADs depreciate? I'm thinking of selling my gear (Javelin J3, Sabre 170, PD Reserve 160, Cypres), and I have no idea what to ask for it. All of it is well maintained, with about 100 jumps, and manufactured within the past 3 years. Thanks!

well, it also depends on the sizes of all those items. i know that canopies in the range of 170-190 are popular because those are used often for new jumpers purchasing gear. also, the cypres depreciation would depend on if it needs its 4 year anytime soon or batteries. i guess one other thing that would be looked at is the size of the rig. whether or not it fits a common size person. (i.e. its not for someone who is 6'4 or conversely 5')

but like he said, check the classifieds.

.-.

Best bet is to PM skybytch with all the specifics on your gear. She is the expert on gear new and used and can give you a realistic idea of what you can expect to get for your gear.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

the javelin is worth $800-1200, the sabre $800-1000 and the reserve $500-600. the cypres if it is 3 years old with a 1 year old battery is worth $550-650.

In my neck of the woods you container would be valued at +/- $3,500.00. That is if the cypres is up to date. And if it is an original Sabre.

If you want a breakdown, PM me and we can go over it in detail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

More power to you if you can get $3500 for a used rig, i am just telling you what i have gleaned from personal experience.

I can and do. Even up to $4,000.00 for good, modern used gear. Now that new gear ranges from $5K to $6K.

I have some really nice used gear coming through my shop. Some folks buy new every year.

I think my market might be a different climate than yours. ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

the javelin is worth $800-1200, the sabre $800-1000 and the reserve $500-600. the cypres if it is 3 years old with a 1 year old battery is worth $550-650.

More power to you if you can get $3500 for a used rig

The above works out to: $2650-$3450, is $3500 such an unreasonable estimate?
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

The question is what is it worth? or what you can get for it.

The informed Skydiver probably wouldn't give you more than $2500 for the whole set up. You might get $3000 - $3500 is the person isn't doing their research.

It really comes down to the condition and Date of Manufacture of the equipment.

An older Javelin 1998 or older isn't worth as much as one that has the newer tuck tabs and bridle cover.
I'd give you $300 - $800 depending on that fact if it was in great shape.

The old Sabres also aren't worth as much now that the new Sabre 2 is out. General rule of thumb for any canopy. Take 25% off of original price and then $1 per jump. I wouldn't give you more than $400 for any old Sabre.

For a cypres, I take the new price and divide that by 12 ( the life of the unit ) and multiply it by the # of years remaining. For the new price I use $950. This is what I bought a new Cypres for just before the Cypres 2's came out. With this in mind I'd give you around $700 for it.

PD reserves are the best in my opinion (along with every other skydiver I've met). But if I remember right PD states the life of a reserve is 20 years or 40 pack jobs. Maybe $500 for the reserve.

That a total of $2400 on the high side. I'd list it for $3000 on Dropzone.com and hope to get $2500.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

This girls gear has less than 100 jumps on it and is less than 3 years old. So your "Older Gear" comments should not apply here.

A Javelin DOM 2001 with less than 100 jumps is worth well over $300 - $800.

There is still a market for the ORIGINAL Sabre. I wouldn't call a canopy with less than 100 jumps on it an OLD CANOPY.

I agree with your value on the Cypres. But the climate right now is good for Original Cypres Sales. There are no more available and the Cypres2 runs about $1,225.00. So $700 is fair to both buyer and seller.

If you have any PD reserves 3 years or newer for sale for $500.00, I'll buy them all from you. A used PD reserve is worth around $700 in my neck of the woods.

If you GOOD, MODERN used gear for the prices you are quoting, then PM me. I'll pull them into my store in a heartbeat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

This girls gear has less than 100 jumps on it and is less than 3 years old. So your "Older Gear" comments should not apply here.

A Javelin DOM 2001 with less than 100 jumps is worth well over $300 - $800.

There is still a market for the ORIGINAL Sabre. I wouldn't call a canopy with less than 100 jumps on it an OLD CANOPY.

I agree with your value on the Cypres. But the climate right now is good for Original Cypres Sales. There are no more available and the Cypres2 runs about $1,225.00. So $700 is fair to both buyer and seller.

If you have any PD reserves 3 years or newer for sale for $500.00, I'll buy them all from you. A used PD reserve is worth around $700 in my neck of the woods.

If you GOOD, MODERN used gear for the prices you are quoting, then PM me. I'll pull them into my store in a heartbeat.

Skydiving Gear is like cars and computers. When the new models come out, the value of the old go down.

I'm not saying that the gear is bad or even old, just not the new hot items.

In my neck of the woods nobody will buy an original Sabre now. PD was practically giving away there left over inventory on Sabres.

In my neck of the woods nobody will pay more than $800 for a Javelin unless it's an Odyssey. IS IT?

Most people in the skydiving industry can get 20% off of PD products if you ask around. So a brand new reserve would be around $900. I'd pay the extra $200 to be sure it's never been jumped and maintained correctly.

I'm not saying she can't get what your saying you'd sell it for, but I wouldn't pay that much for it, WILL YOU?
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

Well. I've been selling gear for over 8 years now and have owned my Pro Shop (Gravity Gear) for over 4 years. I am well aware of market trends. In fact, I make it my business and my passion to do so.

I try to find the perfect balance of fair market value for both the buyer and seller. By doing so, I usually end up with 2 more customers for life.

I'm not saying that your numbers are wrong. They are probably spot on for your drop zone or region.

When it comes to the used gear market, there is a lot of crap out there. "The perfect beginner rig." is one of my least favorites. Anyway, when there is good Modern Used gear available, it retains a certain value.

And by the way, not everyone wants cut-in laterals and opt not to purchase the Odyssey. I still take orders for Javelins.

And Sabres are still fine canopies. If they are lightly loaded the openings are good and they have a great flare. That hasn't changed.

Not all consumers are "trendy". But the important safety features of modern containers including the newer Javelins retain a good value to the used gear customer.

Okay. I'm done now. Back to work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

For a cypres, I take the new price and divide that by 12 ( the life of the unit ) and multiply it by the # of years remaining. For the new price I use $950. This is what I bought a new Cypres for just before the Cypres 2's came out. With this in mind I'd give you around $700 for it.

Also knock off 3/4 * $160 for the four-year check and either 1/2 $85 if the battery was replaced on time or $85 if it's expired. That yeilds $550.