karenmeal

cypres batteries

Just curious... I never really heard the 500 jump thing stressed too much, so didn't give it too much thought until my unit quit working properly and I was chatting with the SSK people.

By the way.. I don't think the batteries are the issue with my unit.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I too have a question about the batteries. I am planning on selling my gear and have gone past the two year window to change batteries. The gear has been in storage and today I turned on the cypress. The battery voltage is 6.19. Does anyone know the proper operating voltage of the cypress 1? Or what the operating range is?
It would seem like a waste to change out the batteries if I haven't used the unit and the voltages are in operating range.
I would welcome any advise. Thanks

I have been told that its not if the unit has been used, its every 2 years. I do not know about the 500 jump limit, plus I do not anticipate 500 jumps in the next 2 years, unless I win the lottery:)
----------------------------------------------
"Thats not smoke, thats BUCKEYE!!"
AQR#3,CWR#49

I don't think they are either. Low batteries have one of two specific codes. I had a set die after around 700 jumps in one year. Personaly I don't keep track of how many are on a set, so when they go bad is the only way I'd know.....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Cypres, wants the batteries changed at 2-yrs. This, is a definite thing. If, your rig has been in storage and the battery is over 2-yrs. old, I would suggest removing the battery from the Cypres. When you sell your rig, a new battery can be installed, then. Cypres batteries can leak, like any other battery. No sense taking chances and possibly ruining the rig. Also, the battery is to be replaced after 500 jumps (or 2-yrs.), according to the owner's manual.

Hope, this helps.

Chuck

Yeah.. we know thats what the manual says.. I'm just curious who actually changes them out after 500 jumps.. I don't think I know anyone that does. (Unless they get an error code.)

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I change them in the tandem rigs here. The rigs are getting on average 100+ jumps a month, so I've been changing them almost every pack cycle, or in between the next one. It's too bad, the rig I changed batteries on yesterday was still showing 6360 for the voltage, with over 500 jumps. The new one was lower than that. Go figure.
my pics & stuff!

Whenever you get the urge to slack off on Cypres maintenance, remember that the second person to go in while wearing a Cypres had 3 1/2 year old batteries. She was the first to go in after turning her Cypres on.
Moral of the story: 3 1/2 year old Cypres batteries will not save you on a cold day.

Yeah.. we know thats what the manual says.. I'm just curious who actually changes them out after 500 jumps.. I don't think I know anyone that does. (Unless they get an error code.)

Yeah..you know what it says. What I am saying is it is required by the FAA Part 105.43.c
"(c) If installed, the automatic activation device must be maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions for that automatic activation device. "
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Voltage, especially open circuit (no load) voltage does not necessarily indicate the ability of the battery to reliably deliver high current. It takes some power to ignite the cutter cartridge, I'd guess a lot more power (and certainly more instantaneous current) than it takes just to run the processor in the Cypres. These lithium batteries are not recharged. They only have so many amp hours to deliver and that capacity is reduced every time you run your Cypres. Why spend a grand for an AAD then risk malfunction by skimping on a battery replacement?
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.

Yeah..you know what it says. What I am saying is it is required by the FAA Part 105.43.c
"(c) If installed, the automatic activation device must be maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions for that automatic activation device. "

How is the FAA going to know how many jumps are on a set of cypres batteries??

I'm not saying that I don't think people should follow manufacturer's directions on AAD maintenance, I think it's absolutely imperative that they do...

However, if you have in excess of 500 jumps on your batteries the only person you could possibly be hurting is yourself.. the pilot couldn't get in trouble. Not changing them every two years is another story however.. since that is noted on the packing data card.

let me re-emphasize that I think when it comes to AAD maintenance, following the manufacturers directions is important for your own personal safety.

How is the FAA going to know how many jumps are on a set of cypres batteries??

Cypres battery replacement should be noted on your reserve card when your rigger performs the service. If you go in, the inspector can check, based on the date on your reseve card and your log book how many jumps you have put on the rig. That may not be entirely accurate - i.e. if you loan your rig to others to jump, or if you don't log your jumps - but it's a pretty good indication.

On a side note - the Cypres 2 has no specified limit on the number of jumps for 4 years. Airtec claims you don't have to record jump numbers for battery replacement. Kind of a nice feature :)
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD