theskydiveguy

Vigil or Cypress

Its up to you, both have pro's and con's. They have been writen about in length already on the board, should be able to find them with a quick search.
One person to talk to though might be a forum user, kimgriffin, she is the sales manager for Vigil USA.
good luck

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

My Cypres is up for its 8-year in at the end of 2004. I figure that gives Vigil about 5 years to prove itself before I'm in the market for an AAD. By then, it should be apparent if there are any major issues. If not, then I'll likely get a Vigil. The maintenance requirements for the Cypres are annoying and expensive. It's not that I'm price conscious about something that could save my life, but if the Vigil does the same job for a lower price, then I'll switch.

I just stumbled over a calculation (in german, and no, not from Airtec...) comparing the total cost per year for both aads. (sorry, too lazy to look up the link).

The vigil was up front with 78 Euros/year based on a 20 year lifetime (Battery has to be changed by a rigger in Germany, who knows why...).
Cypres was 118 Euros/yr, based on the 12 yr lifetime.

If you would calculate the vigil on a 12 yr lifetime, it would only be 3 Euros cheaper. That is with battery changes by a rigger (for money ofcourse..).

So the thing is that the Vigil will only be cheaper when it really outlasts the 12 yr lifetime, which (although i do not doubt that) has yet to be proven...

I'd think about switching if iever buy a new rig in the next 12 yrs (just got a new one, so chances are... slim..;))
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I'm curious if there are supposed to be any pros to the Vigil outside of the easier maintenance requirements and price.

Waterproof, and only one model, so you can switch it between student/pro/tandem (useful if you are a DZ owner for instance). And it had logbook-like functions tho I haven't seen that function myself yet.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

....(Battery has to be changed by a rigger in Germany, who knows why...).....

Ach so, wirklich? ;)

Can I replace the battery myself?
Yes, the battery is field replaceable by any skydiver. Wether you can repack your reserve parachute depends on local regulations.

From Vigil's website. And I'm a lazy git too, so no link. :P

I just stumbled over a calculation (in german, and no, not from Airtec...) comparing the total cost per year for both aads. (sorry, too lazy to look up the link).

The vigil was up front with 78 Euros/year based on a 20 year lifetime (Battery has to be changed by a rigger in Germany, who knows why...).
Cypres was 118 Euros/yr, based on the 12 yr lifetime.

If you would calculate the vigil on a 12 yr lifetime, it would only be 3 Euros cheaper. That is with battery changes by a rigger (for money of course..).

These figures do not seem correct to me. How are they arrived at? What assumptions are made about initial price, battery replacement, and the cost of periodic maintenance (including shipping and insurance)?

Mark

They are not 'waterproof'. They are essentially as 'water resistant' as cypress-2 by all the info I have.

Here is the thread I posted a while ago of the vigil I got. Haven't swapped it in my rig yet, so I can't give any more feedback:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=799699;search_string=vigil;#799699

Was it in skydiving that I saw a Vigil fired on the ground while the reserve was being re-packed? (PC hit the rigger in the face?)

j