cesslon

Highest object 300,000 ft (to be built)

If this object was already built, would you class a 300,000 foot jump off it as a Basejump ?
of cos you would need to wear a space suit for the extreme high altitudes,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Elevator

Slashdot reports that the space elevator has been granted FAA approval, well testing anyway, they will be testing it by attaching it to a baloon 1 mile up.
:)who know's with luck it might be around by 2020.

I hope they leave the balloon up at night;). Maybe a cable ascender will fit around the tether cable?

I hope they leave the balloon up at night;). Maybe a cable ascender will fit around the tether cable?

It'd be better if they had an automatic winch that reeled it in and let it out at intervals. You could lock an anchor to it and ride it to altitude.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Would decompression sickness be a concern (even for short jumps such as 13,000 feet)? My earlier, lengthy readings of theoretical space elevator details indicated the ride up would be very fast.

As to the original question, I think a new category of jumps would have to be invented: space jumps. Certainly a few previous super-high-altitude jumps would qualify under the new class, which would concentrate less on the way one got to the top and more on what the jump is like. This is consistent with how BASE jumps are and have been different from (modern) skydives, I think.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Would decompression sickness be a concern (even for short jumps such as 13,000 feet)?

Yes it would be a concern. Not at 13,000' but higher than that (what height exactly I don't know) it will.

I know we are all jokeing, but the physics of this type of structure would not permit a person to "fall" from it. well... at least not back to earth. orbital (cetrifugal) force is the basis of the structurers' integrity, and would fling a detatched object into space.

not to mention the blood boiling 0 pressure. but thats what pressure suits are for.

oh, and the no drag/control thing

but a jumper could go from below the"CP" Balance point, as depicted in the diagram, because the orbital forces would still be less than the force of gravity at that altitude.

sick ass wingsuit flight though.

B|

-SPACE-

I'm not going to 13,000+ feet. I'm riding that thing to a couple miles and getting off. I want to be able to pack up and do it again.

What I think would be cool though, is a super high jump where your terminal velocity is several hundred miles per hour. That is going to be a pretty wild ride. Better nail your exit though.

...I'm not going to 13,000+ feet. I'm riding that thing to a couple miles and getting off...

Wait, what? ;)

.jim
"Don't touch my fucking Easter eggs, I'll be back monday." ~JTFC

What I think would be cool though, is a super high jump where your terminal velocity is several hundred miles per hour. That is going to be a pretty wild ride. Better nail your exit though.

Here's an interesting jump you may or may not have heard about:

Captain Joe Kittenger leapt from a helium balloon 102,800 feet above the Earth in August, 1960. He reached a speed of 714 miles an hour during his 19 mile freefall. Now that was a cool jump.
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

Hi Mike,

Did you know you appear in the wikipedia ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASE_jumping
your name is there but when you click on it, your entry contains no info, maybe you can fill it out.
wikipedia articles can be created and edited by anyone.

anyone know who originally wrote the wikipedia article on BASE ?, is also a good article on Carl boenish (spelling), and a few other base related things,

I can't seem to find the 102,000ft skydive, maybe someone who has a lot of info on it can add that article.

Did you know you appear in the wikipedia ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASE_jumping
your name is there but when you click on it, your entry contains no info, maybe you can fill it out.
wikipedia articles can be created and edited by anyone.

anyone know who originally wrote the wikipedia article on BASE ?, is also a good article on Carl boenish (spelling), and a few other base related things,

I can't seem to find the 102,000ft skydive, maybe someone who has a lot of info on it can add that article

Yes, Our El Cap jump in 1966 appears in a lot of online encyclopedia. Both Jean Boenish and Nick Di Giovanni have told me that Carl had thought about our initial El Capitan jump for years before he started BASE jumping some 12 years later.

I was of the impression that Nick D wrote the original article that has been copied over to all the sites that talk about the history of BASE jumping. He sent me copies of a bunch of newspaper articles about the jump. I know he was the author of lots of web pages that talked about it.

You can easily find information on Kittenger's tall jump. Just key in Kittinger helium balloon on any search engine. There was a book written about him called: "The Man Who Rode the Thunder".

You can do the same thing regarding our El Cap jump by keying in the keywords: Pelkey BASE history. I usually use Google because it seems to be able to find anything I look for, but I think any of them will find lots of articles. If you have any trouble wite me. [email protected]
In theory, there is no difference bretween theory and practice. In practice, however, there is. -

"RIP Forever Brian Schubert. Always remembered, Never forgotten" - Leroy DB
http://www.johnny

What a Ride ?
What about Burning Up on Re-Entry on your little free-fall................:o

The word "re-entry" is misleading

it should be "burn up cause of crazy fast speed" or something.

Spacecraft need to "re-enter" not because they are outside of the atmosphere, but because they are going fast enough (cause they need to orbit) to be burned by the friction drag of the atmosphere, while a person from 300,000' could probably get going fast enough to generate a fair amount of heat, but it would not be the same as a "re-entry" re-entry speeds hover around 27,000mph.
at 9.8m/s*2. from 300,000... i dono, no calculator, but figure no measurable atmosphere until, say 150,000'....

i did have a cool dream about this, slider up i think.

-SPACE-

Burning up on re-entry... blah. Some things are just too cool to worry about little details like that. I bet with a wingsuit your speed would be low enough that you could make use of insulating material of some type.

Burning up on re-entry... blah. Some things are just too cool to worry about little details like that. I bet with a wingsuit your speed would be low enough that you could make use of insulating material of some type.

Could you put heat shielding tiles on your chest and arms? Oooh, and then landing gear, and land the wingsuit? :P
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

i dono, no calculator, but figure no measurable atmosphere until, say 150,000'....

So, something a little over 2,000 mph at re-entry. For comparison, the SR-71's top speed sits around mach 3.2, or 2,400 mph at 85,000 feet. My understanding is that it got pretty warm.

In my professional opinion, this is both safe and an excellent idea. I'll, umm, be right behind you, DexterBase.

Edit to add: Yeah, skin temperature of 427 Celsius at Mach 3.3. But hey, if you can't stand the heat...

Make it a 3-way. But I get to plan the jump, okay?

As long as I get to go hand-held. I've set a personal hard deck of 350,000 feet for stowed jumps.

As long as I get to go hand-held. I've set a personal hard deck of 350,000 feet for stowed jumps.

Sure. But it'll be my hand holding your PC. And I think you're going to need at least 3 canopies. And a wingsuit.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

...and then landing gear...

Landing gear...?:o Who, what, when, where, how!?!

Oh crap, this is fictional. :(