LivingLegend

N E 1 Recommend a first jump course ?

Either in the UK, Europe or even US for a total beginner who is sh1tting himself ?

1.618 !

I just took the FJC with Jimmy and Marta. It was awsome. I missed the first day where we learned how to pack but I was still able to make 6 jumps. Well worth the money.

Eric

I have heard Johnny runs a nice course as well.

http://www.johnnyutah.com/

Johnny's course is da shiznit!
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

I have observed several of the leading fjc's and in my opinion johnny utah's is the most complete and comprehensive.
Sig lines are so stupid.

Many UKérs go whith Morpheus and loads of them jump Morpheus gear.. thouse courses usaly anit sceduled before theres enough to a FJC that the Perrine as far as i know.. but give them a shout,they will sure answer but theyre busy making me a harness at the time:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I recently did the Stavanger Base Course in Norway and felt it was very good - but don't have anything to compare it with.
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

what I find is that most people advise the course they took as they dont have a frame of reference.

Think about it this way, a guy does his AFF and gets it done in a week, he says its the best course ever, but what does he know about the other courses available, the way they are run, and the knowledge he may or may not have.

Question the "this course rocks" as most of the time its from someone who has only done this FJC and has not researched the others.

Hey my BASE course rocked at the time! - but with hindsight would have chosen another one.........

Agreed, every newbie loves the person who didn't kill them, be it BASE, or be it skydiving. It's why in the ranks of those who teach, even if some won’t admit it, what your student says means squat.

It's what your peer instructors say about you that counts and those who hide behind their students are, well, people who hide behind their students . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Ok guys without trying to be a total ass since fireflys statement does not hold water what courses do you suggest? I have seen this question before and as soon as someone says hey I thought this course was great people comeo out of the woodwork with the same arguments that you guys make. Which we all get and make since. However, should no one answer this guy? Both of you and Nick are respected and knowledgable so maybe you might suggest a course to this guy privately if you dont feel comfortable in public doing it

I've observed most of the FJC's in action over the last couple years. I also teach FJC's, and I've given a fair bit of thought to what I think works best for teaching.

Obviously, my top choice would be my course. I like to think that I've put in all the things I've learned/seen/stolen from other courses, to make mine the best I can. But, let's leave that aside for a moment, and consider only other courses for the original poster.

I think my top choice for him would be Morpheus. There are 2 reasons for this: (a) There are many people in his area (the UK) jumping their gear, and (b) there are several other folks around there who took their FJC from Morpheus. (a) means that when he returns home he'll likely have gear that is familiar to more experienced jumpers in his area. That means it will be easier to get instant feedback on small gear matters, and personal input on what has worked for them. (b) means that they will likely best be able to put him in touch with more experienced jumpers in his area (their previous students). I think these are pretty big advantages. In a sense, the UK is "Morpheus territory" for obvious reasons (i.e. Rob is from the UK).

My second choice would be Apex. My reasons for this are (a) Apex has by far the most experience teaching FJC's, and (b) they teach the most courses, so they have the best availability and scheduling when trying to fit a class into the original poster's schedule. I think that the first part of that is pretty important. Since Jimmy, in particular, sees a huge range of students, he's very effective in adjusting his teaching style to his current students. When he encounters a problem a student is having, he has probably already seen it 6 times this season, and knows several different ways to explain it, and can try using each of them to see which clicks the best with that particular student.

So, there's my 2 cents. Hope that helps.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I've observed most of the FJC's in action over the last couple years. I also teach FJC's, and I've given a fair bit of thought to what I think works best for teaching.

well, I haven't!
so I won't give a recommendation.

I'm betting that you will receive solid training from all the courses mentioned so far.

the biggest variable might be what YOU bring to the table. so, talk to all of them. see who you feel comfortable with. find out their training schedules and fees.

the folks here have given you a great start, but you have to make the call!
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Ok guys without trying to be a total ass since fireflys statement does not hold water what courses do you suggest? I have seen this question before and as soon as someone says hey I thought this course was great people comeo out of the woodwork with the same arguments that you guys make. Which we all get and make since. However, should no one answer this guy? Both of you and Nick are respected and knowledgable so maybe you might suggest a course to this guy privately if you dont feel comfortable in public doing it

~did you mean FIREFLYRor firefly?
~J

Thanks for all the feedback and PMs guys
Much appreciated.
Hope to appear soon on this forum with a sh1t load more knowledge and a jump or two under my belt.

1.618 !

Johnny really does kick ass, I took his course before Tom was doing his thing,It cost half of what the others did (BR, Morpheus...) and was a full week not a weekend. He also sent me a packing vid, and the Bridge day safety vid that he arrainged from Will Forsheys lemmings (I think).
He was totally professional,and you could really see that he cared and loved doing it...and he's a great jumper and an awesome teacher.
But ofcorse I don't have anything to compare that to,except what I've seen since then.
~J

I've just been informed that Morpheus is not running any FJC's at this time. So I guess that means I'd recommend going with Apex for this poster.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Just to round out for perspective BASE jumpers reading all this . . . The days of going it alone are long gone, take a course, any course . . . and take comfort in the fact that if any of the above mentioned courses were "in doubt" you'd be hearing about here . . .

Tom I saw your post and emailed Morpheus. They emailed me back saying that they had postponed doing their FJC until next year. Production is the highest priority right now. Focusing all their time and attention on gear orders. They felt at this time this would serve their customers best. They will be back in full swing with their FJC next year and are very excited and eager to get back training, mentoring new students and making new friends. Just thought I would let everyone know what I heard from them.

Mark

Johnny really does kick ass, I took his course before Tom was doing his thing,It cost half of what the others did (BR, Morpheus...) and was a full week not a weekend. He also sent me a packing vid, and the Bridge day safety vid that he arrainged from Will Forsheys lemmings (I think).
He was totally professional,and you could really see that he cared and loved doing it...and he's a great jumper and an awesome teacher.
But ofcorse I don't have anything to compare that to,except what I've seen since then.
~J

I agree with you 100%. You could not have said it better.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

I was wondering if it's cool for a person thats not jumping this year to lurk any of the FJC's at Bridge Day (either the payed or the free courses)???
Thanks
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

I was wondering if it's cool for a person thats not jumping this year to lurk any of the FJC's at Bridge Day (either the payed or the free courses)???

I'm not aware of any paid FJCs for Bridge Day. But even if there were, I seriously doubt any of those who give them would mind at all.

We're a very laid back lot... when we're not arguing with each other. ;)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

I was wondering this too when I was advising someone else recently. I would imagine being registered for Bridge Day would be one of the things required to sit the course. But, maybe people with an interest, but not yet ready for BASE, should be included too.

I can see the problem if said interested person goes back home and kills themselves.

Boy, BASE jumping is just one sticky wicket after another . . .

I think both Tom and Johnny Utah are doing classes (well thats what the BD site says). I was just thinking I'm going to make the drive up there, and I would head up early If i could just hang, watch, and learn....:)
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

I'll take auditors at my BD course in the same way I do at my other FJC's. Basically, just let me know before hand, so I can get a handle on attendance.

The free BD courses (the ones on Friday) don't take attendance or anything, so there shouldn't be any problem going to one of them.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com