Treejumps

A tale of Two Courses

Well we had a great time in TF. Met some new friends and caught up with some old ones. Showed up bright and early for our 1st jump of the morning only to see Tom M. on his 4th. The weather was great, most of the time, and even then a few jumps got done by the willing.

I couldn't decide whether to post anything about some of the "antics" I saw, but I couldn't help but put something up about the stark differences in the two training courses that were going on.

Course one was run by Corky, a vintage Cali jumper. Our group was impressed by everything we saw Corky's group do. The students were confident and well trained, and performed many hand held jumps under supervision, eventually self jumpmastering, and ultimately doing a few stowed. This group was comprised of very experienced skydivers (actual jump numbers unknown) who all displayed terrific canopy skills with each landing well on the small beach LZ. WHile we didn't spend a lot of time with them, the instructor came off as very professional with safety as the number one concern. Corky demonstrated the attitude and demeanor of a true BASE professional in everything he did, and he and his students made our trip that much better. Thanks.

The second course consisted of a certain hyper active, Dude, that was radical, check me out as I jump from the rail local. The student was a kid who was skateboarding around the bridge end with some of his high school friends, and, apparently, turned 18 that very day. Once the multiple cameras were rolling the boy did a nice running exit and landed in the water. DUDE, THAT WAS RADICAL! So easy a bag of dog food can do it. [:/]

So that is what we saw, along with more jumps from the rail. Who you teach, and how you teach, and more importantly how you handle yourself has a lasting impact on the sport.

The sport needs more professionalism (Corky) and less Fast Times at Ridgemont High". (Mr. Rail Jumps)

Later.

Is he a Brit? Does he want to come and burn some more of our sites....? I'm sure there's a few left to do.....
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

Corkscrew's the man.
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

Yo Tree! You and your group freaking rocked! It was great to watch experienced jumpers during our training.

Yep, Corkie is the BEST! Joel and I feel so fortunate to have worked with him. We received such quality training.

We are so going back in about 3 weeks to get some more jumps under our belt.

Oh, we will be seeking tard training while we are there. Any takers? (just kidding Corkie).

Who you teach, and how you teach, and more importantly how you handle yourself has a lasting impact on the sport.

aint that the fucking truth!

Its a knock on effect and it grows. The pyramid effect happens.

Please dont be fucking selfish.........

We respect the people before us, so why dont we respect the people involved now or to follow in years to come?

I know that I could rush into BASE. But I do not. I know I could push limits beyond my abilities, but I do not. I DO seek wise, informed, and safe ways to pursue BASE to keep my life and body intact.

The people who have truly learned the ultimate ends of the sport have so much to pass on. If a person who enters this world of passion, happiness, and tension, I would advise the most professional, experienced, and most of all SAFEST training method available.

Jumping with someone who is fun, outgoing, and pushing THEIR abilities can be exiting, entertaining, and really fricking cool. There is nothing wrong with jumping this way. But learning this way?

Each person should choose their "mentor", but IMHO the mentor should choose the student.

I know I could push limits beyond my abilities, but I do not. I DO seek wise, informed, and safe ways to pursue BASE to keep my life and body intact.

I wish other people had your intelligent approach to it.

People are rushing into this thing way to quickly nowadays.

Its not just about whether people have the right canopy experience anymore, its hitting other aspects...................

How can you expect resepect for the sport when people dont have to work for it?

I wish other people had your intelligent approach to it.

There is....it's funny, the more video i watch of base the more i realize how incredibly technical it is. When you look at a video the first time it's cool...the next time you watch it it you see small things that open you eyes..you watch it again and then start to realize how dangereous it can be if you screw up...you watch it again and start anyalizing body movement....It just keeps getting more and more technical...

Its not just about whether people have the right canopy experience***

I would say canopy experience when you 180 and are 20 feet from the wall....That quick thinking canopy experience...... It seems more like climbing than skydiving to me...."you need a brain"......:o

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

I would say canopy experience when you 180 and are 20 feet from the wall....That quick thinking canopy experiance...... It seems more like climbing than skydiving to me...."you need a brain"......

I've always had a hard time actually comparing climging to BASE (or skydiving). Here's why...
When I'm climbing, I'm putting myself at risk for a typically much longer, extended period of time. However, time that typically affords me the ability to think through and plan each move. Sure, there's preparation on the ground, but when climging, I can normally stop and figure out a problem when 'something's not right'.
BASE on the other hand... I'm throwing myself into a few seconds of an extremely high-risk activity. If 'something's not right', I have to react to correct it immediately and instinctively. There's no pause to figure out what's wrong with my gear or how I'm going to get around something.

Just my $.02.
-C.

I may have not explained myself right but what you say is correct. i think what i was trying to get across is that there is no pause.....you pause you die...or well pretty fu$#%ked up and crippled. You "have to act instinctively...immediately...Yes when climbing you are at risk when you leave the ground until you decend back to the ground. That could be all day. Takes alot more thought...

I'll give you a $1.00 at least..

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

There are many similarities between BASE and climbing. The main thing is the transferable skills such as attitude, risk management, thinking, problem solving, equipment selection, suitable training, etc.
If you do either sport correctly you plan everything you can beforehand (hand hold versus delay, plan b's, what if's, potential problem analysis, etc). Then you make a decision whether or not you go ahead with the jump or climb. This decision is based on weather, skills, equipment, etc.

In both activities you must make decisions as you go. And these decisions should be automatic and based on all the plans you have already put in place.

The difference is the time factor and the detail (technique) of the actions.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

couldn't of said it better.......B|

"I couldn't decide whether to post anything about some of the "antics" I saw, but I couldn't help but put something up about the stark differences in the two training courses that were going on."

Tree,
If your hard on for people who don't take themselves as seriously as you do persists for more than four hours, seek immediate medical attention.

-jimmy