FIREFLYR

Everything I Ever Wanted To Know about Antennas.

I'm hoping to get schooled.
I want as much information as I can get about antennas.

3 legged,freestanders ,4 legged,skinny guyed towers with weird loops and prongs on the bottom some with ceramic connectors on the guy wires, some without.500ft guyed towers with a metal ball half way up so it looks like they are 2 different pieces. Big flat hexogonal platforms on the top look like a great place to launch from....if they're not broadcasting 50 million watts of...well I don't know something nasty through them.

I've been out scouting sites and found some cool looking prospects,but ...they all scare me because I don't know what I'm looking at
.I know some can electrocute you but I'm not sure how to tell the difference between one and another,I'd prefer tp learn this the easy way. Instead of having to go throw cats or chickens at it or something.

I found some neat websites that tell you the heights and FCC registration #'s but not much else about them.

Hook a brutha up ,share the knowledge then come visit and check out all the cool stuff there is to jump out here!

Thanks
:)
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

>>AM towers are the ones to stay away from, they'll fry you good. Pretty much any active antenna will have hazardous energies to some degree.
Think you'll live long enough to worry about cancer?
:D

there is only 1 AM antenna I would consider climbing as a 1 time jump. I think its in the top 10 tallest from home. Its not a "normal" AM antenna, this is a single tower, not 2.

I would take an RF meter and spend as little as time possible on the A to reduce exposure time.

Is there any other protective gear you could wear that would protect you? Any type of clothing that reduces RF energy?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

www.google.com

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

The FCC registration number should give you a rundown on the tower. Check out the FCC website.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

~I would take an RF meter
where in gods name do you get an RF meter? I bet it would cost more than my rig if I found one....will a canary work?

~Is there any other protective gear you could wear that would protect you? Any type of clothing that reduces RF energy?
There are steel mesh impregnated cotton suits or something but with the helmet and all I imagine them to look like space suits,,,,maby a led cup at least
;)

The FCC registration number should give you a rundown on the tower. Check out the FCC website.

What should I look for?
I couldn't find anything on wattage...AM/FM...etc
~J

ig you get the gpd cords you then can go to a sat or topo map, or even a flight map to see where the tower is. on usgs maps they will usually tel you the station name and if it is am/fm/ or tv.
note that any antenna with proper planning can have am and fm on them. so be careful
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I've had my camera "zapped" by an antenna it speeds up tells me there is all sorts of problems with the tape, battery whatever then just shuts off,
Has anyone tried covering the body of a camera with tinfoil to stop this? did it work?
~J

speeds up tells me there is all sorts of problems with the tape, battery whatever then just shuts off,

Shit....thats worrying....!!!

This question is for those that might know..

there is a 600+ft AM antenna back home. I found out the station name and found out that the radius of the signal is .8 of a mile.

I know AM is usually the antenna to avoid, but .8 of a mile might suggest that the total power output is low. But bring up the question of why would it be that high?

If this suggests that the total power out put is signifigantly lower than most AM stations, would that make it more acceptable to jump?
Leroy