phil6086

Whoa first jump last night

is this how US BASE is now? anyone and everyone?

Natural selection man. I wish the "mentor" would be at as much risk as the "student".

Now as far as my canopy skills 2 years ago took Rob Laidlaws course started being able to hit the Ps at xkeys pretty much every time and I've had too numerous to lists coach tips from the best canopy pilot at that drop zone. So I may not do 720 hook turns I have been known to swoop in at shut down dead center of the Ps at my home D

And as far as caning my mentor don't think so he's a good skydiver with 2000+ jumps and he knows he dosen't know it all and he's willing to learn as am I.

While they both use parachutes modern sport skydiving and BASE jumping are _very_ different sports.

Swoop accuracy is a high-speed game about getting to about the same place in the pattern above 1000 feet, stretching and rounding off your approach however you want, fitting your final turn into where you are in all three dimensions relative to your target, and killing your speed in the right place. Brake input doesn't change your glide angle much in no-wind conditions. High forward speeds make winds less critical. Doing this at your home dropzone means you have hundreds or thousands of jumps in the same place and are familiar enough with the environment that you can accurately judge your position from thousands of feet up. You only need to be consistent to end up where you want. No obstacles within hundreds of feet makes for a very low-stress environment.

BASE accuracy is a low-speed game. You start where ever you opened at a low altitude (below 200 feet on a static line and at most 1000 feet on a big wall when you're a whimp like me). With a .7 wing loading you have little drive and the winds are a big deal. The shape of your pattern is often very constrained by obstacles (you can't stretch out a base-leg bounded by cliff on both sides). Your biggest asset is being able to come nearly straight down . You have few jumps off the same object . While the landing area might be a lot bigger than a pea pit it can have obstacles on all four sides (trees on three sides and a drop-off on the other) and bad outs (one of the times I was stupid my best choice was a 15x15x10' boulder).

It's been years since I couldn't consistantly land one of my skydiving ellipticals in a familiar environment (location and winds) within a few inches of where I want width-wise and a few feet length-wise. My BASE accuracy in low-stress open environments was still a lot better than pea-pit sized. That wasn't enough for me to avoid over-shooting a much larger landing area and crashing into a tree.

A thousand skydives or more give you some equipment knowledge, some skill in adjusting to winds, the ability to spot where you'll land with no control input, and some tracking ability for terminal jumps. They don't help you to judge what you don't know and do give you a false sense of confidence.

Four years and a hundred jumps after starting BASE jumping I know less than shortly after starting and respect it a lot more.

is this how US BASE is now? anyone and everyone?

Natural selection man. I wish the "mentor" would be at as much risk as the "student".

from the sound of it the "mentor" is at as much risk as the student................

any mofo seems to be a "mentor" these days.............grab your mentors by the hand and dont cry about it when you get fucked up......

4 sec's handheld ??:S

i do 3,5sec delay handheld if i like and feel it perfectly safe..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

4 sec's handheld ??:S

i do 3,5sec delay handheld if i like and feel it perfectly safe..

Faber and 3.5 secs ?? :o:o:o;)

Do you put your slider back on ?? :):P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Dexter
i could use one more set,rembering i have 2 rigs:),i used the once you shipped me last time and they sure does it good.

Hope i get the oppertunety in the big US to use my "Dexloops" as i call em:P

Blair,you shouldnt do the "MCFaber-chiken-exit"(playing a chiken on your way towards the ground),while doing long delays handheld:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

yeah when im climbing 400ft i bettere get some freefall:ph34r::D
Jumping in my Gargoyle it actualy dont hurt that much;)(my Vertex is a max3sec,which hurts)

sliders? no thanks,i rather pull high on a 6-700fter than using a slider:ph34r:(ouch THAT would need a lift or somthing:))

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

alright phil6086, skydiving and BASE are two very different sports...something i believe you dont have a grasp of after reading your 'explanation'. swooping a 9 cell at your DZ is nothin like sinking in a 7 cell. the canopys do share a few characteristics but when getting into base you have to go back to step 1 and progress if you want to walk away from every juimp. you generally only have one chance with base. skydiving can be a little more forgiving.

think back to your AFF. did you jump solo and fly a 120sqft canopy to the ground? ... i think not. what i'm getting at is everyone starts at level 1 and progresses through, learning different skills as they go.

generally in BASE everyone should do a PCA for their first, preferably off a bridge. if the object doesnt suit, it shouldnt happen. there are so many things that could've gone wrong with your jump. eg. bad body position could've led to your bridle catching a limb. your lucky to be still alive. your mentor's experience in skydiving should be no way compared with BASE. how many base jumps does he have anyway? it doesnt sound like he has too many. you might feel like he's helping you but it looks like he's doing the opposite.

you (and mentor) seem to have the wrong attitude about BASE and are not treating it with the respect it should have. if something did happen you could've been a statistic, made it to the news headlines and given the sport yet another bad kick in the guts. no one is going to pat you on the back for doing a 4 sec handheld 2 way on your first jump. it's just stupid. in a way you are taking from the sport instead of giving.

*** how can you support that? in terms of pushing the limits, yes, people are doing things that were perceived to be impossible 10 yrs ago. BUT, everyone has to learn from the start, not jump in the deep end. the learning process should be practically the same for everyone: a few PCA's then the slider down handhelds.

if more and more people like yourself get into base the way you did there are going to be more accidents, more deaths, bigger fines, a bad public image and sites are going to get closed.

i hope you reconsider your progression in the sport.