base698

A possible situation to avoid.

I was repacking a friend's reserve today and when I took the main off I pulled the cutaway handle first. I then opened the container and pulled the right riser set off then the left. When the left started to release the cutaway housing jammed up in the three ring and would not release. I imagine the only way this would happen would be if the cutaway was pulled and the main opened sometime later. Something to look out for it someone dislodges your cutaway in freefall.

Another situation this could occur would be after a pilot chute in tow where the main didn't release right after you opened the reserve.

I think if you tack the cutaway housing to either the second housing on the right riser set or the left riser housing to the binding tape then it can't move out from under the mudflaps enough to move around in front of the 3-ring.

The problem with this is the tacking could hold the housing closer to the rig when the main is open normally and cause a harder cutaway because of increased tension on the three ring loop.

I was repacking a friend's reserve today and when I took the main off I pulled the cutaway handle first. I then opened the container and pulled the right riser set off then the left. When the left started to release the cutaway housing jammed up in the three ring and would not release. I imagine the only way this would happen would be if the cutaway was pulled and the main opened sometime later. Something to look out for it someone dislodges your cutaway in freefall.

Another situation this could occur would be after a pilot chute in tow where the main didn't release right after you opened the reserve.

Not enough infomation. Users left, or observerss left? And what specficaly was causing the riser not to dis-enage? Housings, ring placement, or outside factors? More details please.
Mick.

I would suspect that what happened on the table or floor would be more difficult with the rig on a person, because that is the way it's designed to work. I'd be very careful about tacking the housings where they're not supposed to be tacked. Might want to call the manufacturer, maybe the housings are routed wrong or wrong length.
Tad

I would suspect that what happened on the table or floor would be more difficult with the rig on a person, because that is the way it's designed to work. I'd be very careful about tacking the housings where they're not supposed to be tacked. Might want to call the manufacturer, maybe the housings are routed wrong or wrong length.
Tad

Thats why I really liked our rigger at Jumptown. We would pull the cutaway and ripcord as if going through emergency procedures when our repack time came around.

Jump
Scars remind us that the past is real

I was there at the time and we have taken some pics w/ my camera. I havent been able to hook it up to a pc, but will be able to later tonight and will send pics of the configuration.

the rig was an infinity, and when it happened it amazed me.

blue ones !

D 27808

More information and pictures will deffinately be helpful. I can think of a couple of ways that a cutaway housing could possibly prevent a riser from releasing, but it would not be a brand specific "problem", or a likely situation in freefall, but who knows. Tacking the housing to the ring cover would be a bad idea because the housings are designed to "float". This allows the risers and harness to stretch under load without the grommet in the end of the housing placing extra load on the riser loop, making for a much more difficult cutaway. If you look behind the top, inside edge of the wearer's right ring cover, you'll see where both housings are tacked together and tacked to the backpad (on the newer Infinity's with a serial number over 6000). This is the same method that RWS used before they started using Oetiker clamps. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures.

I just looked at my 2001 Infinity, and my 1995 Javelin.
I don't see it being a problem on either one under load.
You pulled the cutaway on an otherwise closed container, right?

I'd still like to see photos to make sure we're all on the same page, though.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

This allows the risers and harness to stretch under load without the grommet in the end of the housing placing extra load on the riser loop, making for a much more difficult cutaway.

That was the problem I forsaw with tacking.

I just looked at my 2001 Infinity, and my 1995 Javelin.
I don't see it being a problem on either one under load.
You pulled the cutaway on an otherwise closed container, right?

Yeah the only time I see this as being a problem is if the cutaway is pulled unintentionally BEFORE you pull your main, or on a pilot chute in tow where you cutaway first. Otherwise it'd be impossible...

The housings on this rig (when not attached) naturally seems to want to lean forward this made it possible for the middle ring to snag the housing on release. In a real world situation with wind I think it'd make it less likely but still possible. Probably not something to worry about but it puzzled the hell out of me when I was detaching the main and it refused to release.