Namowal

Arching for Klutzes (noob question)

I'm considering starting AFF courses, and am trying to learn as much as I can in the meantime. I'm concerned about being able to make and hold a good arch. I know what one looks like , but replicating it is another matter. I can picture myself in the sky doing what I think is a good arch, only to start spinning around like crazy because a limb was actually too high (or low, or apart etc).
Any way I can practice a well-balanced arch on the ground? Or should I book time in a wind tunnel to get up to speed?
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

You can practice the body position on the ground, laying on the floor. Of course, your arms and legs will be pushing up against gravity, not down on the air. so you'll be training the wrong muscle groups. :S

If you can get tunnel time, great. Tell them you plan to take AFF.

The key to not spinning out of control is to be symmetrical and be relaxed. You're working in a fluid medium. If you just take the class, they should teach you what you need to know.

Here's a thought: If you don't start AFF, you don't need to know how to arch. If you do start AFF, your instructors will teach you how to arch.
The wind tunnel is an excellent idea and may be just what you need to go from "I'm thinking about it." to "I'm doing it."
You don't have to outrun the bear.

"Learning as much as you can in the meantime" translates to "AFF instructors having to un-teach certain things and start over" :P If you're going to learn to jump, go learn to jump.... that's what we are for, is to teach you everything you need to know. Clogging your brain in advance really isn't all that helpful at this point in your skydiving learning process.

Tunnel is up to you. I can't say it is particularly important at this stage either, given that you haven't done any AFF jumps yet. You may not need tunnel time.

Being klutzy is good thing... I'm clumsy as shit, which is why I took up skydiving. I've spent my entire life falling over nothing, so it only made sense to take my total lack of coordination but amazing ability to fall to the next level. :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

If you lay on the ground and arch you can feel
the muscles in your butt and lower back that
are causing that pelvis down position, and those
muscles are how you get pelvis down in freefall.

But relaxing is also key.

If you're tense and asymmetric you'll probably
turn, which makes you even more tense, and
you get a feedback loop going the wrong way.

A half hour in a wind tunnel will take away the
mystery of a body in airflow, which will help you
feel more in control when you jump out, which
will help you relax and get that feedback loop
going the other way.

Remember though that freefall happens in the
framework of a parachute jump and all that
rigging, packing, spotting, tracking, weather,
canopy flying, judgement, and being in the air
with others takes hundreds of jumps even for
people who are making an effort.

So find some good influences to hang out with
while you're playing around in freefall.

Skr

Just go get instruction so we don't have to unteach you.

Tunnel is good instruction
AFF Class is good instruction

trying to figure it out on your own or with a bunch of advice on DZ.com? not so much. It might work for some things (techniques for experienced jumpers, discussions on block moves), but I'm not a fan of it for 1st jump students at all.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

"Learning as much as you can in the meantime" translates to "AFF instructors having to un-teach certain things and start over" :P

Good point! :$

I still appreciate all the suggestions. Thanks, everyone.
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.