TribalTalon

visual audibles??

You can try emailing maddy at DZ sports which is the shop at my local DZ. I think second hand time outs regularly pass through her hands and I know at one point last year I had a discussion with her about two brand new light attachments for them that were old stock no one had ever bought.

She may still have the lights and is as good a place as any to look for a time out. Besides, if you can get the light bit the time out should be the easy bit.

(I think there may be two versions of old style time out - one with an attchment point for the light (not to be confused with the "new" time out which I dont think is compatable with the light fitting) and one without. Needless to say, make sure you get one with the attachment point. Someone confirm cos I'm not 100% that there are two versions of the old style available).

You can mail maddy here: [email protected]

I think 'Light-Track' would be a great idea. Think about all these freefliers who had one or even two audible altimeters, did not hear them in freefall (and they were not deaf) and ended up being saved by Cypress... I am SURE they would have seen a red flashing light right in front of their eye and saved themselves!

L&B, please bring Light-Track back [:/] (or invent something new ;))!. It would benefit jumpers with normal/good hearing, too.

A little light is extremely easy to look right through if you want to. Look at the Cameye. Most people can'nt tell you if it switches from red to red/blue flashing in the middle of a skydive. They might notice it under canopy, but then its too late. Unless you had a way of turning their entire faceshield/goggles/glasses a color... its just too easy to look through a tiny light.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

(I think there may be two versions of old style time out - one with an attchment point for the light (not to be confused with the "new" time out which I dont think is compatable with the light fitting) and one without. Needless to say, make sure you get one with the attachment point. Someone confirm cos I'm not 100% that there are two versions of the old style available).

There are indeed two versions...We have one of each at Strathallan for use by club members, and to make them more funky, we decided to swap half the casing shells...cos of the attachment point, we had to drill a wee hole in the non flashing one. :)
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

You might want to try to track down Jon Woo
http://www.deafskydivers.org/Profiles/JohnWoo/JohnWoo.html,
who helped organize the Deaf record attempts.
http://www.deafskydivers.org/contents.htm

I 'talked' with him (through my severely limited sign language, and with the help of Cat, one of the two deaf skydivers at our dropzone, as an interpreter) at CSS last easter, and I think he helped in the Timeout flashing edition development. I could be seriously mis-quoting what he said, however.

Anyway, when I was looking into a 'remote speaker' audible, I tracked down this site. They list a second speaker and an LED flashing unit as 'future' developments.
http://www.skydivetimeout.com/

I am not sure if they are still in business, but I found a place down in Deland that sold the audibles (new). You might try to get ahold of the folks listed on the website I listed and see if you can get the connector to make your own LED.

The other option, is of course, track down the old flashing time-out. I see them every once and a while for sale used.

Hope that helps.
j

I just checked the site of Larsen & Brusgaard, they have new products in the pipeline to arrive in 4-6 month with a LED hookup.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

I still have one of the original dyters with a LED attachment. I never used the LED in freefall, but I have tested it on the ground and it is pretty noticeable. I'm not currently using it, so if you are unable to find a better solution, I might be able to part with it (although I would prefer not to).

Part of why I stopped using this is because it only has one altitude alarm. What I'd really like to see is an LED that flashes different colors based on which altitude alarm is going off, i.e first green, then blue, then red, or something like that. Perhaps L&B will have something like this in the future.

Mike

I know a few companies have tried to introduce Heads-up indicators for motorcycle helmets, but few have made it.

Here is a link to a guy in the UK who has a great idea. He mentions his intent to enter the Skydive market. Uses GPS, which has become HUGE in the private plane industry over the last 5 years. He might be interested in speaking with you.

EDIT: Oh, he mentions only that it can be used for speed, but GPS can also be used as an Altimeter.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/09/16/piers.tucker/

Todd .... "Life, figure it out."