freeflysoul

Floating pin - Pro's & Con's

YO!
I was jumping some time ago with a guy who was using a BR Vertex with a bridle that catched my attention.
In fact, this bridle had all the 2 pins sewn, in a different manner than my bridle. I own a Vertex2 with the lower pin not sewn on the bridle.
I asked the guy why he was jumping that setup, but he told me he was using it because he heard rumors about some trouble with the floating pin.
I've jumped my rig in different ways, from 0,5 sec. delay to terminal and I never noticed any pin hesitations.
Anyone can explain me better if are there any troubles with floating pins?
Thx in advance!

3,2,1,C-YA!!!
V.
BASE #1075 / BMI #I-002 / PFI #042 / EGI #104

I've been present for 3 PC in tows two on jumps lower than 400 ft and one on a potato state jump. They were all on the Vertex 1. I used to think it was a good idea but now it scares me.

:S

I own a Vertex 1 and this is worring me. My last jump was a hesitation from 300ft. Does anyone know the actual reason for removing the floating pin?
Meeker

I stand in strong disagreement with the floating pin. No one has managed a good reson as to why it exisits. I think it is an added complication with no return of value.

If you are in the mid atlantic and would like you pin permanently attached, I would be happy to sew it on at no charge.

Tree

I stand in strong disagreement with the floating pin. No one has managed a good reson as to why it exisits. I think it is an added complication with no return of value.

Todd's initial reasoning was sound (i.e. that the top pin is the one with consistent pull force, so if you can always extract that pin first, the rig will open more consistenly). However, it's looking as though results from the field disagree with the theory.

I don't know. I actually prefer my pin rigs with only one pin, where possible.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

can any show me how to not be abel to pull by a floating pin?
As i got my Vertex 1 i wondered alot about this,and i did test pull alot,but never manegede to get it to not pull the pins.
I have however had long openings on this system but if it were due the pins i cant tell...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

When I first saw it, I had no idea what mal it was supposed to address. And when I heard what it was supposed to be for, I couldn't see any pros, just more complexity and more theory.

Is pilot chute in tow a problem with pin rigs? I've seen a couple, but only when people got new velcro that was way too strong and wide. Pin tension seems BS to me, if I take my rig and pull from the inside out to simulate an extremely tight packjob, it doesn't affect the pin tension AT ALL! And we are talking about a "huge" 42" PC, at 60mph, trying to slide two slippery pins 0.5 inches through slippery closing loop.

Seems that pilot chutes not doing what they are supposed to do would be a better direction to go. I wouldn't want to tie a bridle and 32" PC to my wrist and throw it out of a car at 25mph...
---------------
Peter
BASE - The Ultimate Victimless Crime

I can't really think of how the floting pin could cause a hesitation, other than the bridle pulls through the loose pin, and then forms an angle against the pin cover flap, incresing resistance until the top rin pulls and the container opens. I know that with a standard attached pin setup that the bottom pin pulls then the top pulls, and the bridle in between allows a little snatch to pull top one. It just seems strange that there would be a hesitation.

My advice: Have your pins attached. No drawbacks to having them sewn on. :)
cya.