KevinMcGuire

Idea for PIA continuing rigger education program

In 1994 I attended the PIA symposium in Orlando FL. At that time I was a new rigger with little experience. I attended as many classes as I could and received a great deal of new and valuable information. I watched in aw as Rags from PD worked his magic to repair a canopy. I attended many other classes that were equally impressive and left the symposium with the feeling that I had spent my time and my money well.
I made sure that I was at the next symposium 2 years later but this time the feeling I left with was not the same. I attributed this to two reasons. The first reason was that in the two years following my first symposium I had gained a great deal more experience, and second, was that the classes were very similar if not identical to the ones I had been to two years earlier. As a result of this I have had little desire to travle back to other symposiums and have done so only for the purpose of networking with manufactures and other riggers.
The following is a Proposal That I feel will not only improve the rigger continuing education program but also no doubt, bolster attendance.

Classes could be held during the PIA symposium. Classes may be as follows.
In addition to the half-hour/hour long classes offered at the PIA symposium I propose that other more in depth classes be offered.
These in depth classes could be a weeklong and be as many as 2-3 hours in length. This would allow those interested to attend 2 or 3 classes a day. Classes such as basic or complex canopy repair, harness construction and repair, sewing machine repair and other such classes could be offered to riggers wanting to gain practical experience by doing (not just watching), improve their existing skills, or to gain the necessary practical experience to become master riggers.
I have put a many hours of thought into this idea and have what I think to be some good ideas that could make this a reality, but before I put these ideas down on paper, I thought that I’d get a feel for how many out there would actually be interested in this sort of thing. If the response is positive and large enough then I’ll put together a draft and post it for everyone to check out and to offer suggestions.

A project like the one I’m proposing would be a logistical challenge to say the least but I feel that with the proper planning and support it can be done and done well.

Kevin,
How are you? I hope that you are doing great!!.
I'm really interested in learning more and more about rigging, and the more i learn i discover that i don't know anything. something like that will make want to go to the PIA Symposium again, because the 1st symposium was a really good thing for me. I learn tricks from the people that made the parachutes and the rigs. Rags is amazing in the sewing machine and Ty and incredible nit reserve packer. Nancy made the racer packing seem so easy that i lost my fear of packing them because my 1st pack jobs on it sucked, and my suppervisor had to re close them because they new better.
I'm interested count me on it:)
Cielos Azules
Pablito

"If you don't overcome your fears they will overcome you first"
Shady Monkey/6Segundos Rodriguez/AKA Pablito

Count me in - I learned a LOT at the last symposium, but would definitely favor some hands-on larnin'
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Thats great and I am in... I want to learn more of the sewing aspect in rigging and not just the inspect/repack of rigs.

So is there going to be a school set up in Eloy where you will teach this? come on we all want more training and you are the man.
www.greenboxphotography.com

I spoke on the phone to a rep from the PIA. There is no way for this idea to be put into action for the next symposium due to the fact that it is already in the works. He was not absolutely opposed to the idea but he sighted many obstacles that could keep it from working out.
If this idea is to even be seriously considered, it will take a large amount of interest, participation and effort from many people like you and I. Please keep in mind that this idea has just been hatched and it has not yet been officially presented to, or considered by the PIA.
So in short if you like this idea, tell your rigger friends to get on line and show their support. The planning for the 2007 symposium may begin later this year and that means we will need to get enough riggers supporting it to show that this is viable. Other wise this idea will simply go away. Thanks
Kevin

Kevin,
I agree with your analysis.
Maybe lectures should be labelled: A, B and 3.

With "A" level lectures aimed at sport jumpers/main packers. i.e the finer points of flaking the nose.

"B" level lectures would be aimed at FAA Senior Riggers and would cover the finer points of reserve packing and simple canopy patches.

"C" level lectures would be aimed at FAA Master Riggers and would cover the finer points of major harness repairs.

I also agree with you about including practice time. Riggers are tactile learners by nature and they require some hands-on practice to make lessons sink in.

I also agree that assembling half a dozen sewing machines in the same room would be a logist nightmare. Maybe we need Rags to give the lecture, sponsored by a sewing machine manufacturer.

Maybe lecturers should present their 40 minute lecture and then say: if anyone wants to practice what I just showed you, you can stick around - for the next hour - and practice on those half-dozen rigs in the corner.

Kevin

Why don't you start your own program at your loft? and have mini schools? I would be greatly intrested in coming in and learning from you.
I would be willing to travel for more advanced training, i really want harness info that i could take and apply to climbing gear.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

I have done that many times but I have recently closed my loft and don't have a place to do it at the moment. I guess it really comes down to how much interest there is. If there are others out there that would like to do this let me know. Perhaps I could put somthing together.
Kevin

I would be greatly intrested in coming in and learning from you.

Me too.

They have tunnel camps and four-way camps and all kinds of camps for skydivers....

But it seems like the only formal continuing education for riggers is the PIA conference. It would be nice to have some options.
Skydiving is for cool people only

Hell, I learned a hell of a lot from just sitting there watching you patch my canopy and asking questions...;)

That and walking the dog...learnt that a dog hates the Eloy sun...B|

Got my UK rating 4 months ago...Say you're doing one of these and I'll be over in a shot...;)
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies