PhoenixFire

legal to jump in Norway??

Hi
1stly I am not a base jumper -

but am curious as to whether it is legal to jump in norway or not.
I assume yes - if you are not gonna land on private property and again assume the mountain ranges are public property.
I would also assume that it is legal if you get clearance from authorities - ie if it is a national park etc?
( but you know what they say about assumptions)
The reason I am asking is that I need a visa to enter the country and want to apply for a multi entry visa - I have been dared by my friends to tell them i wanna base jump - when asked the innevitable question of why i am entering the country and why i want multiple entries - which I want to say - just to see the expression.

But obviously do not want to ruin my chances of getting visa.

( sorry if this is a "dumb" question - but curosity has gotten the better of me )
Peace Be Da Journey

Yes, jumping off many cliffs in Norway is legal. Trespassing (i.e. most non-cliff jumps) is illegal, there as here, and there are a few cliffs where jumping is banned (usually for good reasons, like rescue helicopters starting rockslides).

For more info see: http://www.BASEKjerag.com.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Trespassing (i.e. most non-cliff jumps) is illegal, there as here, and there

I've always been under the impression that tresspassing as it exists in the US isn't present there. You are forbbiden to tresspass on structures, ie homes, but its perfectly fine to be on other peoples property. Kjerag is private property if I remember correctly.

Kjerag is private property, but in Norway we have laws that give the public access to basically all countryside except farm land (cultivated).

- Kristian

kind of like in Denmark(most like the forests)just sad we dont have any cliffs to jump:|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I think there a big misunderstanding when an American BASE jumper talks about "legal" BASE site.
Most of times what the American chap calls "legal" is simply "NOT illegal".
In Europe there are simply NO laws ruling BASE (with one exception, see afterwards) so BASE is simply NOT illegal and so you can jump off cliffs, provided that you exit from public land and you land on public land.
So, 99% of times when an American talks about "legal" BASE in Europe simply he/she refers to a "NOT illegal" activity, or, in the end, to something that is "TOLERATED". It is NOT a right for anybody to BASE jump off mountains but simply, provided that you do not break any law, they let you do it.
Exception: our terminal wall, after a fatality, has brought to local authorities that BASE jump "exists": after a 6 month period of (formal) banning, local authorities decided that is legal to BASE jump off our terminal wall, provided that you (try to) stick to "RECOMMENDATIONS" that have been issued and available to be read at the bar at the landing.
Any other European mountain, I guess, is simply NOT illegal to jump off.
Just my 0.02€.
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

one question to base 689.
what is the status of the nice 300m cliff near the terminal wall. the one wich has cute lake on the bottom :)recently i had problem w the police there. they said: '' not jump the cliff, go away!! '' :|:|and they were standing there till were sure we left..
let me know please.
regards
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

> what is the status of the nice 300m cliff near the terminal wall...
> recently i had problem w the police there. they said: '' not jump the cliff, go away!! ''
Very appropriate question. And here comes in force the story of "NOT illegal".
It is not a right to jump that subterminal wall. It is simply NOT illegal. So locals (people, authorities, windsurfers, whatever) TOLERATE that we jump off that wall.
Just because it is simply not illegal and there is NO RIGHT to jump off there, local police (whenever they feel like doing so) can say that jumping off that wall you can endanger local population/campers underneath in case of a total. That, honestly, is partially true.
We regularly jump that wall. We never had personally problems with local police. But we are very quite and as low profile as possible when we jump there.
The "toleration" thing becomes very, very evident any time large groups show up and are both numerous and noisy.
I do not know which the conditions of your group were when you had that "discussion" with local police.
But, granted that we are tolerated and there is no right to jump that wall, local police, if they simply do not like you, can show up with something "You cannot jump off there", "you endanger those campers underneath" or any other "pleasantry" possible.
The one that happened to you is a perfect case of what "NOT illegal" means.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT to which you can grab onto to say: "It is my right to jump".
Full stop.
We are simply "tolerated".
In a lot of southern Europe countries an activity that goes on without being "disturbed" does not mean necessarily that is legal, most of times they simply don't bother to stop you and you go on "undisturbed" until something happens, and after that "something" has happened, then they all in once discover that you shouldn't do that and they EXPLICITELY say to you that YOU CANNOT DO THAT.
There is a misunderstanding about interpretation and application and enforcing laws between anglosaxon and latin cultures.
In anglosaxon countries, authorities do not tolerate at all that you do something that you shouldn't, and they stop you immediately and keep on stopping you whenever you try to do again that thing.
In latin countris, authorities are more easy in tolerating and applying and enforcing laws, if you do something that you shouldn't but you don't cause any harm to anyone, they can let you keep on doing that.
Anglosaxon: I do "this" and I cannot do "that": so "this" is legal and "that" is illegal.
Latin: I do "this" and I cannot do "that": so "this" is something that I can do (perhaps "this" is not perfectly legal but without doing so much noise, I can keep on doing it) and "that" is something that I cannot do by any means (bloody hell, "that" must be something so damn illegal!!!!).
It is not like driving a car or like piloting an aircraft: laws are in force to say which car can circulate and who, holding which licence, can drive that car, laws are in force to say which aircraft holding which test/maintenance can fly and who, holding a pilot licence, can pilot that aircraft. In such cases you can say: "It is my right to drive this car, because I have got my driving licence and my car is perfectly maintained (see certificates...)", "It is my right to pilot this aircraft, because I have got my piloting licence and my aircraft is perfectly maintained (see certificates...)".
In BASE jump, you cannot mention any right or any law, simply because there aren't.
So, the very general rule is (anywhere in general when jumping off "NOT illegal" sites): try to be as smooth as possible, try to be as low profile as possible, try to land as far as possible off the people/vans/campers/whatever, try to be as silent as possible.
Just my 0.02€.
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

....thanks 689,
was not that big issue. just wanted to hear your experience.
We were 4-5 jumpers and were doing mid noon jump. police in funny uniform ( you know which one shows up[;)) came and said: NO!!
It is not problem cause we knew that is temporarily anyway.
Later that day we jumped again w no problem.
:P
Robert Pecnik
[email protected]
www.phoenix-fly.com

the status of the nice 300m cliff near the terminal wall. the one wich has cute lake on the bottom :)recently i had problem w the police there. they said: '' not jump the cliff, go away!! '' :|

We had the same experience there last November. It was the policeman's notice about the other 10 policemens who would come in cause of jumping. :)
Between two evils always pick theone never tried