rfarris

Water tower

Does anyone have any experience with these kinds of jumps?

http://www.blincmagazine.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Other&image=watertower.jpg&img=48&tt=

(Tom please edit if this is inappropriate)

Does anyone know the details of this particular jump in the photo? Looks like he is doing a static line?

I literally walk past one every day, about 150' tall with a pond under it.

Rod

the only thing I have known like it was about 8-10 years ago at a skydive boogie in Iowa called Dollar Days. Most people that go to the boogie know thw story.
some guys tried to do what they called a "SLOPE SLIDE".. two guys help inflate the canopy as he ran off the water tower slope.
all I know is this guy did not get an inflated canopy and the chain link fence at the bottom saved the the guy. apparently it had enough coushin in it to stop his fall. he lived.

looks like alot of fun.

chcken man
CHICKEN MAN
BASE 954

That might make a nice SL... but I'm a bit of a purist... if it ain't freefallable I won't jump it.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That might make a nice SL... but I'm a bit of a purist... if it ain't freefallable I won't jump it.

you can freefall 150ft:Pnot that i think i would try it out anytime soon but it can be done;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

The person you refer to tried to paraglide an Evolution 160 of the top. The canopy was inflated, it was just in a dive and he was unable to recover before he bounced on the ground and then into the fence. Disclaimer, i had nothing to do with the incident other than calling 911.
I bagged BG off a 120ft water tower in La. 1990. It wasn´t a prob. he had no option other than to land downwind.
take care,
space

We use to have a water tower that we jumped several times. We bagged it and landed on a golf course, it was 135ft, and I had enough time to pop brakes and flair,. They're fun, go for it!

May we live long and die out

The biggest problem with H20 towers seems to be getting past the ladder guards on the botton 20-30 feet. I think most city planners are more paranoid about their water supply than tower manufacturers are about antenna access.

Hiya Zennie

Now BASE is of course an incredibly personal thing and generally speaking there are no rights and wrongs. One person's dream jump is another person's nightmare, so please don' t think I'm trying to convert you (so to speak), it's just your comment and your use of the word 'purist' gets me thinking. Why do you consider static line to be less of a BASE jump than say a freefall. And would that also apply to a DB and PCA.
This 'purist' approach has, i know, nothing to do with safety margins, as a 190ft sl will give you more canopy time than a 230ft freefall.
Don't get me wrong, i'm really not having a go, i just would be keen to know why you turn your back on thousands, no tens of thousands of jumpable exhilarating, balls to the wall objects just because they might fall 10feet below your FF harddeck. Similarly, there are thousands of objects which ARE freefallable but have nasty fences or small tricky landings which are waiting to screw you up if you have anything less than a perfect on-heading opening. In these instances, isn't it preferable to SL it to get an idea first of the lay of the land.

The whole world is jumpable. It just happens to be more jumpable to people willing to static line every now and then.

A static line is no less of jump believe me. Ask Spence or Slim or Jean B.

I believe this might make an interesting seperate thread Tom.

With the greatest respect.

Not usually a problem for those with opposing thumbs.

If you're nimble you can usually shimmy up the leg ties (the thin poles at 45 degrees to the main legs which criss-cross their way to the top).

If you're fat...well, go on a diet, Pork Chop and we'll see you at the bridge.

Dr. AdSkins.
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

The biggest problem with H20 towers seems to be getting past the ladder guards on the botton 20-30 feet. I think most city planners are more paranoid about their water supply than tower manufacturers are about antenna access.

If you tie a weight onto the end of about 15' of nylon webbing with knots in it, you can toss it over the block, and climb up it.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

hmmmm......where might one purchase these "opposing thumbs" of which you speak? BR? Vertigo?
Thanks in advance,
Mitch

Don't get me wrong, i'm really not having a go, i just would be keen to know why you turn your back on thousands, no tens of thousands of jumpable exhilarating, balls to the wall objects just because they might fall 10feet below your FF harddeck.

Nope, no offense taken, and you make a very good point.

Maybe "purist" wasn't the best selection of words.

I'm sure there are plenty of SL objects that would be every bit as fun as a freefall. The only thing like that that I've done was a PCA from 210 and I was sort of disappointed that I didn't get much ground rush. Now a PCA/SL from 150? That might be interesting. ;)

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

mate you really need to visit me one day:D
besides to get a ground rush you´ll need to keep your eyes open;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

The only thing like that that I've done was a PCA from 210 and I was sort of disappointed that I didn't get much ground rush.

oh well! at least you dont have metal in your leg waiting for a bone graft!

I had great groundrush from 210, in fact the best ever!.............. but I also had great time off!

The only thing like that that I've done was a PCA from 210 and I was sort of disappointed that I didn't get much ground rush. Now a PCA/SL from 150? That might be interesting. ;)

210 is most definitely a comfortable pca/sl jump height (assuming it's over a decent landing area. From personal experience 160ft B is pants cackingly ground rush city.....providing of course you keep your eyes open.:$ Now i know there are jumpers out there who could comment on 130ft s/l building jumps over concrete and spikey railings. Interesting is probably not the most appropriate adjective to describe this.

Hope to jump with you some day Zennie.

Jumps are so different from each other that it's tough to generalize about altitude.

Examples:

I know one 150' cliff that is probably safer as a freefall than a static line.

I know a 350' cliff with a 6000' canopy ride that no one has ever freefallen--but it's a fantastic PCA.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com