leroydb

outdoor windtunnel, base jump?

There is the lt1 windtunnel, supposedly you can go as high as 120+ ft on their outdoor tunnel...

you know the next question.... no its not who stole my cheese...

put the tunnel on top of a building, cliiff, bridge...

toss a base rig on and track of the edge of the air column fall past the object and deploy...
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

How about park that wind tunnel at the bottom of your favorite, and jump into it. Save the packjob for another day.

sorry.. i already posted that one... repost... look again
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

just think of a really subterminal cesna 182 jump... i never got over 80mph according to my protrack and neptune... it was a low hop n pop
Leroy

seems to me that you'd probably be doing a front loop on the way out...

I kinda like the idea of jumping into aerated water but how deep would you end up?

For that matter why not a bunch of floating packing peanuts.

How about a bunch of nerf balls...?

Things that make me go naaaahhh!!!
jon

Safe yourself the trouble of going out to the edge of the air collomn...just toss your pilot while your still inside...the tunnel wil do the rest?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Imagine what the opening would be like--with only part of the canopy staying in the air column. Perhaps you'd want a round?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Nah.. you woulnd't front loop unless you wanted to front loop.

This Idea is a good one. The tough part would be findinding a windtunnel owner/operator willing to let some tunnel rat BASE jumper do it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Where there's a volume of air moving up, there must be a volume of air moving down somewhere. That's not exactly the place I'd want to be descending under a parachute, round or not.

Perhaps if the inlet side of the tunnel was ducted far away from where the jumper would ever be...

How about park that wind tunnel at the bottom of your favorite, and jump into it. Save the packjob for another day.

sorry.. i already posted that one... repost... look again

I did a search and didn't find anything. Where did you post it?

As far as the idea, it is not a good one IMO. Hitting a 120mph column of air when you are going 120mph does not mean you will stop instantaneously (besides that the air at the top of the column would not make a finite jump from 120->0mph). You will decelerate over a VERY long distance (1000ft?). So this idea would only work if you had a wind tunnel that the column of air was still full power (120mph) 1000ft above its base (no pun intended), and the column would probably extend for several hundred feet more above 1000ft as its speed decreased smoothly. I think this is impossible, unless the air was wall-to-wall (contained in a tube like SkyVenture). So if you really want to BASE jump into a 1000ft tube, go ahead. I mean, first you have to build it though. ;) And when you jump, don't miss.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I wonder if it would be like dropping a magnet at another with the same (repelling) poles facing each other. OOPS! That one didn't work.