Treejumps

Do you teach newbies to jump in wind down the wire?

Not to say who's right or wrong, but I have to say that risers are my way to go. I recently did my lowest freefall (290 ft.) from my first "B", my previous lowest was a 320 ft. jump from an "A". In what I experienced, I had a 90 left and went to risers by instinct. The real risk came in the fact that to get to the landing area it was a hundred foot canopy ride straight ahead (from exit), otherwise it was gonna be a hairy landing. In the situation, I could have gone toggles and it probably would have given me a couple more seconds for my canopy flight, but the risers stopped any more motion toward the object. I thought A LOT about the jump and what I would've done in the presence of a more serious off heading. I am convinced that if I had gone for toggles (with a 180) in such proximity to the object (being a go and throw and all) I would have absolutely not walked away from that building. It was a HUGE difference from almost all of my previous jumps and it really humbled me and taught me a lot about how the canopy flies. Just being so close to the object and so close to the ground, you would think ground rush stops after the freefall:|. Anyway, just throwing another point of view out there for a little contrast. Hope it helps. Congrats on your jumps Fire, I heard you guys cranked out a BUNCH.

\ I don't like the idea of stalling my canopy with rear risers at all, I guess i'd take my chances with a little forward surge than stalling backwards, or sinking .
~J

You must be getting good seperation to not mind a forward surge. I would prefer taking my chances sinking into the ground than bouncing off the object.

The problem isn't the wind direction. It's the fact that people are opeing up with guy wires underneath them. if you aren't high enough to track away, then you need to stage your low jumps so that you open under the bottom wire. At my local A, we jump from around 300ft(unless the vator is on, it's 1400ft). The bottom wire attaches at the 170ft mark. Take a 1.5 to 2 sec delay and open under the first wire. I've seen several off-headings that would have resulted in wire strikes if it wasn't for fact that we are able to fly directly under it after opening. Wind direction or speed doesn't matter in this case because of good landing areas all around. 10 to 20mph winds are jumped in all the time, even down the wire. off-headings are usually the result of pitching too early and the pilot chute is affected by the cross wind. a longer delay insures more vertical airspeed and a more vertical pull of the pilot chute. Jumping from 400to 500ft ("because higher is better") slider down is asking for trouble in anything other than ideal conditions. The wires are the hazard, not the wind. Climb or ride high enough to track away and elimante the threat or go low enough to stage your opening under the first wire(if tower construction and landing area permits of course) Slider up from 800ft?? black death in anything other than strong through the center winds . IMHO of course. This is all still theory:P

:D on another note, I think Tree should change his name to Bodie(sp?) and then him and Utah could duke it out handcuffed together at the edge. Just like in the movies:D:D
:P

May we live long and die out

("because higher is better")

lucky were loads that dont agree you there;)

slider down is asking for trouble in anything other than ideal conditions.

huh?i cant follow you in that one...
i will anyday prefere a 4 sec delay off in x winds at 500ft than ill take the same(?)slider up,NOW THAT is asking for troubles in my oppinion..

IMHO of course. This is all still theory

sure same is mine:P

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

i will anyday prefere a 4 sec delay off in x winds at 500ft than ill take the same(?)slider up,NOW THAT is asking for troubles in my oppinion..

i think he means that due to the height and delay you will possibly be opening next to wires.............

Fair enough:)Got in 18 jumps, it was the shit!
~J
"One flew East,and one flew West..............one flew over the cuckoo's nest"
"There's absolutely no excuse for the way I'm about to act"

It was a friggin awesome jump, beach landing, so sweet! I am glad I walked away in one piece too
Welcome to BASE, by the way. ;)

Adam

("because higher is better")

lucky were loads that dont agree you there;)

I'm not quite sure what you mean here,:S I was being sarcastic, about higher being better. Sometimes it isn't better to be higher. If the extra altitude, combined with a short delay is used, the risks of wire strikes is greater than say, a pilot chute hesitation, low to the ground.

slider down is asking for trouble in anything other than ideal conditions.

It is trouble if you are taking shorter delays and you are opening up above the first or second wire, line twists or off-heading in bad winds and you are in for some trouble.If your delay is 4 and you are opening under the first wire, then you are good. Me personally, I don't like taking such long delays slider down. A lot of wear and tear on the canopies and my neck:D Slider up from those heights is BAD. For me, a 2 sec delay from 300ft or so, ensures me a jump despite wind conditions, and without a high risk of a wire strike. If your 4 sec delay from 500ft, puts you under the first wire, then we are basically doing the same thing, just in different ways. We are elimanting a high risk of a wire strike and also taking wind direction out of the picture. Which means no more climbing down:ph34r:

IMHO of course. This is all still theory

sure same is mine:P

we are ALL full of theories:P
peace
Mike B.

May we live long and die out

i didnt read your sarcasm my bad:D
i think we genneral agree;)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber