CFPasi

BASE CRW jumps

I am collecting history of the CRW. One part of that is BASE CRW jumps.

I heard some stories about BASE 4-stack in Italy few years ago. Can anyone help me and give little more info. Was there any "big-way" BASE CRW jumps?

And who done CRW in Bridge Day '83? I know that Kevin V... was one but who else?

CFPasi

I talked to Mike Lewis about BASE CRW at the CRW World Record Camp. I seem to remember that he said that he did a 2-stack at bridge day in the early or mid 80's. I've heard that a 3-stack was done at bridge day in the mid to late 90's. I did a 2-stack at this past bridge day with Kurt Kerry (sp?).

I have some video of a couple Aussies doing a two stack off a popular Norwegian cliff a few years ago. You might want to post to the ABA forum if you want to get in touch with them.

BASE CRW is pretty rare, mostly because of the lack of reserve.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

"I've heard that a 3-stack was done at bridge day in the mid to late 90's."
- more info, please?
- year, jumpers???

Thanks!

CFPasi

Keith Thivierge is the person I heard this from. He does video at CPI and is on the U.S. 8-way CRW team.

URL for CPI http://www.skydivect.com/

Hello --

This doesn't qualify as "BASE CRW History", but maybe it will help to generate other stories.

In March of 2001, I was standing on a 310ft cliff with Dwain, Nik, and a few other jumpers. Nik was still cursing about the absolutely heinous climb that we made to get up there. I couldn't help but agree with him -- I had already decided that down-climbing was not an option should the winds not be favorable enough to jump. But as it was, winds were non-existant and good ol' Nik went off in his usual flailing style, hand-bag and all. Dwain was filming and over the next 10 minutes or so, all the other jumpers went until it was just Dwain and I standing there.

Dwain looked over at me with the camera and said, you ready mate? I said sure, but it was my 222nd jump and I was wondering if he wanted to do a 2-way. Always being one for added excitement, Dwain's face lit up with excitement and he quickly put his camera away.

We decided that we would launch at the same time, side-by-side and with about 25 ft between us. Dwain would do a go-and-throw and I would take a 1 1/2 second delay. (Disclaimer: this is not enough seperation should you have an off-heading, so don't try this at home!)

Then Dwain said, you know mate, a 2-way on your 222nd jump....we should do a 2-stack after opening! Excellent, I replied.

It was a ludicrous jump but actually quite normal by Aussie standards. With nothing more said, it was 3..2..1..C-ya.

Both of us had perfect on-headings and like a dog in heat, Dwain moved right in. His feet just got to the topskin of my canopy when we were forced to abandon our efforts for 2 very late flares and subsequent hilarious landings. There's simply not much time on a 310ft freefall! ;)

Nik gave us an earful for our stupidity, and of course this made Dwain's smile even bigger. Time spent with the two of them is time well remembered. And I'm convinced that Valhalla is stronger with those two together once again...

Bryan

Hi Pasi

Well done on the CRW big ways. Are you going to Croatia this year? I'll be there for the world meet for 4 way rotations.

:)
Ha

Speak of the devil - I've had my arms and legs in DW's canopy on many occasions. We built several two stacks, stairsteps and a 2 plane in Italy. We've also done "deployment CRW" a few times. Once we came too close!!!!!! I'll try to dig up a few photo's (digi grabs from video).

I'm still trying to find some suckers (CRW dogs) who want to do a 4 way speed event in Norway. Interested??

I watched a bunch of Canadians (I think) try to build a 4 plane at Bridge Day 2000 - only two got together in the end. It was hilarious.

;)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

Yo !

BASE175 and i did a downplane in Norway in '97. It was fun, given our very limited CRW experience.

A bunch of real CRW dogs could easily do a few 4way rotations from any of the big walls, maybe even put together an 8way. Of course it'd be unreasonably safe over the water, but the taller ones have acceptably rocky taleses ;-)

bsbd!

Yuri.

Thank all!

Yuri, you send info about that down-plane jump
Tom(?), yes - I will be in Croatia
Bryan - I will wrote your info, it was cool

Safe jumps!

The very first CREW on a BASE jump that I am aware of is Bridge Day 1983. Friend of mine in Houston, Kevin, did a dual with a guy from Louisiana. They opened pretty close, Kevin high man and the guy below yelled up "CREW" so Kevin got in line and they got together for about 3 to 4 seconds on a pretty clean 2 stack. Both made the land.

Rick Harrison
BASE 38

pasi
best of luck with the continuing history.
my personal experience

1. brief biplane at Bridge Day 86 or 87 with a guy from ohio named tracey?

2. 30 second plus 2 stack - biplane - side-by-side from one half of a dome in 87 or 88 with a dude now living in Oz.

3. same year, same site, biplane rot's on the way to the meadow with another friend

4. unintentional, (blush), very brief 2 stack with a friend at BD ~ 1988.

sorry, but i was never real good at loging, so no firm dates available.
can't provide other names on this forum without their permission.
contact me if you wish.

sorry i missed you a Lake wales last turkey day
Congratulations!

BSBD

craig f

always ready for more

p.s. I think Aziz built a two stack with Martin ????? at KL Tower in 2002.

THere were also a few done very early in Australia's BASE jumping history (1980's). Most of the early BASE guys were CRW guys. If you need details I could try to dig up some names (possibly Eros B & Trevor Y ?????). I've also heard the same rumours in New Zealand but these are more likely to be paragliding CRW using skydiving canopies.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.