Marcus93

Getting stable in RAPS

Hi all, i've now done 5 raps/static line jumps. my first two were kind of baby steps and just getting into the feel of it.

Got canopy flight patterns etc. pretty well.

However, i have a real issue getting stable out the door into a proper arch. i get head on to the wind in a good position fairly easily but my arch is virtually non-existant and my knees are usually a bit stiff (unconciously).

Managed to have a good arch on my third go at it but since i havent been able to get it again.

The one time i did get it i was following the advice of one of the guys at the DZ i was having a chat to - relax a bit, and it worked. (since i've been trying to relax but i think im doing it a bit too much because im basically not forming much of a body position beyond arms and legs spread with a slight arch at the hips)

I think my main problem is lack of currency (desperately trying to generate funds).

When i leave the door for the past few though theres been a moment that used to be "oh expletive!!!" thats now "ok, i think i can do something in this gap with my body before the chute opens and gives me a 180 line twist".

Basically any tips and if this little moment im getting is kind of key to getting into position would be appreciated, especially any exercises i could do. I hate being a poor student :(

I had a former static line student practice arching in the swimming pool.

Try lots of practice from the mockup and lots of visualization.

Some students have problems because they try to
(1) Stand up vertically in the air when they leave or . . .
(2) Try to flop face-to-Earth when they leave.

Both are incorrect. You should be at about a 45 degree angle, head high, of course, to the horizon for a static line exit. Most poised exits hold the torso at approximately the right angle prior to exit. Trying too hard causes many problems.

Ask your instructor if that's part of the problem.

Some students have problems because they try to
(1) Stand up vertically in the air when they leave or . . .
(2) Try to flop face-to-Earth when they leave.

Thats exactly what problems I encountered during static line course. Tried to "throw myself" into face-to-earth when leaving the step.

Ps! Just booked 10 minutes in wind tunnel before the AFF course. (Airkix Manchester UK). Not cheap, but hope it will be worth the experience.

cheers guys, im gonna head down the pool at some point. that point about the head held high just reminded me of another of my common mistakes.

i do usually manage to keep my head high for most of the deployment but theres usually a point when the shock of the canopy opening (not sure during which point) or just part of the initial fall that means my head drops for just a moment. been told that i need to eliminate that as well

Thats exactly what problems I encountered during static line course. Tried to "throw myself" into face-to-earth when leaving the step.

Very common mistake.

Very common instructor mistake not to cover that point.;)

Do you remember if they covered it in the class?

The way to become a better instructor? Don't have your students listen, have them do! Then, watch what they do and correct them. Then figure out how to teach the next student more accurately and less confusingly. I joke that my whole FJC is on a 3rd grade level, but that's most people's intellectual capacity once the door opens. ;):D

Don't look at the ground, keep your eyes on the plane, it will help keep you from going negativve!

Pratice in a pool!

I agree with eyes on the plane. I don't know the type of aircraft but my breakthrough came when the jumpmaster/instructor told me to maintain eye contact with him after exit. For some reason that very specific instruction worked for me.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Don’t “throw” you body off the step. Step off smoothly with you head up. Look at the instructor for as long as you can. Push you hips out, forward. Do everything smoothly, no tense herky jerky. Remember this is recreation, enjoy it.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Cant remember exactly what the specifics of my plane are but its reffered to as "the caravan". its a sit on the ledge and push off kind of gig

Cessna Caravan, a very nice turboprop airplane. You're lucky to be at a DZ where they have a nice plane like that.

Sitting exits can be tricky, because your torso has to rotate into the wind as you leave. Practice, arch hard, and get to the longer freefalls as quickly as you can.

Standing exits can be done from those planes too. I like that type of exit better, but you'll have to stick with what your instructors want you to do.

Very common mistake.

Very common instructor mistake not to cover that point.;)

Do you remember if they covered it in the class?

The way to become a better instructor? Don't have your students listen, have them do! Then, watch what they do and correct them. Then figure out how to teach the next student more accurately and less confusingly. I joke that my whole FJC is on a 3rd grade level, but that's most people's intellectual capacity once the door opens. ;):D

In my logbok from the static line jump (1993..so years are turning..) it says.."when you leave the plane, dont kick so hard off the step".. :o

This time I hope to be more relaxed and just let go while arching until I am face to earth.

Despite every preparations...I am almost certain that my legs are going to cycle air..at least on the first jumpB|

Don’t “throw” you body off the step. Step off smoothly with you head up. Look at the instructor for as long as you can. Push you hips out, forward. Do everything smoothly, no tense herky jerky. Remember this is recreation, enjoy it.

Sparky

Thanks for the good advice. I will try to bring this with me in the first AFF jump.