Synapse

manufacturer reserve repack

I recently bought a used Javelin Odyssey from tso-d.com (awesome guys btw) that I am going to have to have the reserve repacked in when I replace the soft reserve handle with a regular metal one. While surfing sunpath's website in my "spare time" ;) at work I noticed that they offer a reserve repack service for $60. Now logic seems to dictate that the manufacturer would know better than anyone how the reserve should fit in the container, but do they know that much more than a qualified rigger? I guess what I'm asking is if its better to have the manu. repack your reserve or would any qualified rigger be just as good?

Note: I usually jump in FL. fairly close to sunpath, so getting to them to have it done isn't as big of a deal as it would probably be for most people.

-syn

If it is not out of the way it would be good to have the Manufacturer inspect the rig and pack the reserve. The reserve pack is the bonus here though! Get the inspection and an "OK" from them on the container, you note it as bought used. Once you get it done once you can go to a qualified rigger that you want to do the reserve packing.

When buying used gear it is always nice to get it looked at, and if you can take it to the manufacturer to do the inspection all the better, you would think that they will know best. If they find something they are concerned about they will most likelyl fix it to current manufacturering standards and your good to go. Once that is done though, repacks dont really need to be done by them. the big advantage is in teh checking out of the rig...

Just my $0.02
Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Sweet, thanks for the info sdctlc. I did have a rigger take a brief look at the rig before I bought it, but that was more like a "is this worth the money" kind of thing... not a formal inspection. Having the manu. take a look at it during the repack sounds like the way to go.

Thanks again,

-syn

I completely agree with sdctlc a re-pack from Sunpath would be ideal for the first to get the gear inspected. After that, someone at you DZ.

HOWEVER, I had a rigger who worked at Sunpath re-pack mine and it was an extremely sloppy job. I had another rigger repack it way before the cycle was due, just becuse it was that sloppy. Point: just because a rigger works at a manufacturer doesn't mean they'll give you great or bad pack jobs.

HOWEVER, I had a rigger who worked at Sunpath re-pack mine and it was an extremely sloppy job. I had another rigger repack it way before the cycle was due, just becuse it was that sloppy. Point: just because a rigger works at a manufacturer doesn't mean they'll give you great or bad pack jobs.

Ok, I think I'll get sunpath to repack it and just have another rigger take a quick look at it when I get it back to see if it looks ok since I'm not qualified to make that call. :$

-syn

The other advantage to sending your rig back to the manufacturer is that they will often do minor updates for free.
When I worked at Rigging Innovations, I did hundreds of updates on Talons - under warranty - for free, simply because the paperwork would have taken longer than the sewing.

I recently bought a used Javelin Odyssey from tso-d.com (awesome guys btw)

Yup! did you deal with the lovely Arlo?
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies