andy2

velcro vs pin for low stuff...?

hello, I was under the impression that pin closed rigs were much better for short low stuff, in that they can be set up with not so much tension on the closing loop and therefore extract rather quickly. Looking over BR's PC/delay/gear config chart they seem to suggest the opposite, saying pin rigs only demonstrate "fair performance" from 200-500 ft jumps while velcro rigs have "good performance".

What's the deal?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

different persons different oppinions.
How ever my PERSONAL oppinion is that pin rigs are the way to do low things whith(atleast freefall).
By SL,you just need to be sure that the breakcord dont break before line strechB|

Mac,nice linkB| i were looking for that...

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

If you check the new printed BR manual you can see they consider pin rig a good choice also for low altitude/delay... ;)

3,2,1,C-YA!!!
V.
BASE #1075 / BMI #I-002 / PFI #042 / EGI #104

doh! Maybe they should update their online manual/charts then! :S

Thanks for the heads up. So is it pretty universally agreed upon that pin rigs are ideal for low freefalls? If BR changed their opinion was this bc of some introduction equipment wise or was it just a simple opinion change, you think?

Still definitely looking for a velcro rig for my first container cause they just look so damn easy to close and not have to worry about tension on closing loop, etc. B|

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

Warning: Any jump low enough to require a pin to reduce pin pull force ought to be considered "ultra low", and is definitely an advanced jump unless done over water.

The pin/velcro difference only becomes important under about 200', and the place that pins really shine is with spectra loops down in the 160' range. Unless you're crazy or Australian, you won't want to freefall in that range at any experience level.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I was watching a lot of videos and noticed that the pin rigs tend to open a tad faster and cleaner than a velcro rig.

I'm glad I got a pin rig and I tried pulling the bridle out with the rig on the ground and discovered that it doesn't take that much pull force to pull the pins out.

I also think that it's nice being able to adjust the pin lengths to adjust the tiension of the pins against the container.

That's just my opinion! :)
www.motavi.com