freefal

What's your most surreal BASE jump story?

Yo !

Here is a couple of bits:

#1. Once upon a time, riding an elevator up and down between 300' and 600' in a solid cloud at night over a tiny LZ, trying to determine if there is any potential for a slider-up jump... finally giving up and deciding to create one with a high-powered flashlight pointing straight up from the ground. After a while a little star appears in the white emptiness, triggering a classic "go into the light". On the way back from the tower, a local jumper is riding a bicycle in the middle of the night on a redneck southern country road to pick up his van, parked off-site. A cop pulls over to question the jumper, who immediately points out the nearest house and explains that he just scored with an old lady who is married so he couldn't really park in a driveway... amused cop procedes on his way. The night concludes with a 6am visit to a neibourghood bar, a climb up a fire escape pole, quick pack job on the top floor and a sweet building jump. Any hopes of daytime rest are shattered when a sugar cube is pushed into an innocent jumper's mouth, prompting a very surreal experience... but that's another story ;)

#2. Once upon a time, sitting on top of a very scary and very high cliff - the highest known then - in a snow cloud, freezing and feeling that a human being just does not belong here. This feeling is frequently interrupted by a cell phone that also does not belong here, but nevertheless rings every other minute with weather updates and friendly chit-chats. Eventually a message comes: clouds have lifted up a bit and the bottom half of the wall is now clear. Without further discussion a jumper gets up, points out a ridiculous direction and leaves with a classic "see ya". His friends look at each other in disbelief and carefully listen for a sound of impact. After a minute of silence they follow into the fog. It is the most surreal visual tracking away from a brown spot in this all-white world. When brown disappears, a warm sense of peace and survival replaces an intense rush. 13 seconds later an enormous valley suddenly developes, like an image on photo paper. The view is breathtaking, and there is plenty more time to enjoy it in freefall. Canopy ride is uneventful and a speedy getaway proves unnecessary as conditions make anybody reporting a jump to authorities a fool. Unfortunately, we have to leave the next day - without ever seing the great wall, still cloaked in dark clouds. The first words coming out of my mouth after returning to the valley one sunny afternoon are censored by this Board :)
#3. Standing outside the fence that separates a swarm of security guards a few feet away, looking at a friend who is going to film my exit. Suddenly he starts to count "3..2..1.." and in an instant the original solo plan turns into a surreal 2-way over the mean streets far below. Riding a cab back to our hotel i think about how amazing this life is. A lot of non-verbal communication is going on in a high-stress situation. Feeling your friends and your own emotions and acting before you can consciously think about it... a lot of this cannot be correctly displayed with use of words. Oh well, so much for writing a story then. Rest in peace, my friend. You really tought me to believe that everything is possible!

bsbd!

Yuri.

Is it just me, or does it seem crazy to fly when you can't see? I know, let's ask Skypunk! Oh wait, we can't because he's dead.

I still have some of Lee's ashes waiting for the appropriate exit. Perhaps this Turkey Boogie Justin and Mimi can bring the Tung 'N Gruv parachute...that would be sweet!

Oh, flying in fog? I guess I got sidetracked somewhere....

Peace,
K

I know! and looking back it was a bad choice! we keep learning on this journey............. that was a big learning experience...........
it worked out ok on that one............ but i know i wont tweak the nose of the reaper on one similar again..........

I WAS STUPID! - and knowing now what happened on that jump (not exactly smooth) I am aware of how much of a twat I was!

Sometimes it will bite you!

sorry

i did a dark fog jump not long ago,and i sure dont think its stupied or anything else like that.

BASE is about YOUR own limit(well and the objects).
When I deside to jump,i has desided to take the risk,and do it.It might sound or look stupied to others but to me it makes perfect sence.You sure wont see me doing a mcconkey(spell?)as i think its over the edge for me personaly,but i think its cool that thouse who enjoy it.B|

BASE is about taking your life into your own hands.:)
Mac if you think you were stupied making that jump(i rember your teksts afterwards),then i think you should practice your climb downs...[:/]If you afterwards think that what you did were stupied or beyon your personal limit,then practice to say no.
I know you can as you did as i were in UK.
This said as a true freind.

sorry my puik,i had a bad day.. no ill go jump somthing.Peace.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

HEY Nic!

I'm doing fine! My fibula refused to bridge for the first six months, and I'm not sure if it's healed now or not. I'll find out at the end of this month when I have pre-op x-rays taken. Yes, pre-op...I'm having my 14 1/4 inch titanium rod and screws removed in December. I'll be down again for a month or two while my marrow regrows, then I'll be good to go for the next 20-30 years.

Coming back from a severely broken leg was quite a challenge. My first jumps back were way scarier than my original first jumps, because now I have an idea of what can go wrong and what that means on a physical level. I've been very cautious about re-injuring myself, hence I have 2 skydives and 5 BASE jumps in the year since my accident. I'd rather be safe and 100% than be jumping too soon and screw something up.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Turkey Boogie...I won't jump as much as the rest of ya, but I'm going to have a friggin' blast!

C'ya!
K:P

Standing outside the fence that separates a swarm of security guards a few feet away, looking at a friend who is going to film my exit. Suddenly he starts to count "3..2..1.." and in an instant the original solo plan turns into a surreal 2-way over the mean streets far below.

If you don't want to dive into details, please don't. But is that to mean that your friend fell off the building without a rig on or something?

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

Standing outside the fence that separates a swarm of security guards a few feet away, looking at a friend who is going to film my exit. Suddenly he starts to count "3..2..1.." and in an instant the original solo plan turns into a surreal 2-way over the mean streets far below.

If you don't want to dive into details, please don't. But is that to mean that your friend fell off the building without a rig on or something?

I'm fairly certain it does not. That jump is legend among BASE jumpers worldwide.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yeah I did some research and found my answer.

My apologies if I offended anyone, I'm just a student skydiver who hopes to get into BASE someday, so I don't know the who's/where's just yet. I'm learnin.... :)
Thanks.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

I don't know the story. Where can I find more info on it?

I haven't seen it written down anywhere. If you kick around long enough you'll run into someone who knows it and can tell the story.

Until then, check out the memorial photos on BASE 416's web page. They might give you a feel for some of the story.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Thank you, Tom. You're so helpful.

You should also know that I found your article about beginning BASE jumping especially valuable, as I'm just starting to explore the sport.