czechbase

What I use to find out the height of an object before I jump it

I'm interested to know what people use to calculate the height of a new object before they jump it.

What ever happened to good old trigonometry ? :P

-- Hope you don't die. --

I'm fucking winning

"I can't believe it - you've actually found a practical use for trigonometry!" - (paraphrased from Bart Simpson)

It depends on the object as well. For an initial impression, I find aeronautical charts an invaluable source for info on A's. And there are a couple of good website databases that come in handy to get a quick idea for B's.

But in the end, I usually get on top with my altimeter watch.

I here most of yours Mac, are done with a couple of 5 meter tape measures superglued together. ;)

I'm fucking winning

you use pythag with a laser!

no you dont.. i have your laser;) and i like it alotB|

I use BASE 813´s laser and my alti watch;):D:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I here most of yours Mac, are done with a couple of 5 meter tape measures superglued together. ;)

I have a 100 metre tape measure I bought for surveying along my property that I use... It's big and phlorescent orange in case I put it down somewhere and have to look for it... Just put a weight on the end and let it go...
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

As long as you hold on to the right end.. everything will be just dandy. B|

I'm fucking winning

Easy ... take a rookie with you.

Tell him that the objects have been jumped. On the exit point you tell him that it is custom to have the guy never jumped the object to go first. If he hesitates you tell him about how important it is with tradition. If he still hesitates you accuse him of being chicken and for me to have any respect for him ever again he should go stowed.

The when he jumps you lean forward and see if the object are doable.

If it is, you give him shit for something that does not matter anyway and make him feel bad about his hesitation on the exitpoint.

If it not …

PerFlare

Yes, that's the way we use to do it. Works pretty good;) I heard the belgiums even have a name for that; sigi (Streamer)
For us in Holland, the land with the A's it's just counting sections or stairsteps. That gives a good indication..

Ferry

how does counting sections work? Is it standardized in holland? BC I know around my house say theres one A that can't be over 150 feet with a bunch of red/white sections, then theres this monster about 1,000 feet that has one maybe every 300 feet! :o

Is it different in europe?

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

don't count the painted sections, count from flange to flange. most mid-sized guy towers have 20 ft sections. You can always take a tape and measure on a lower section (not the first section, it's usually shorter).Then just count the flanges from the ground with binoculars.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

What formula does one use with spit? I´ve not heard of this before as a heightfinder, only a wind directionfinder.
let me know please,
thanks in advance,
take care,
space

Is it different in europe?

proberly yes.I never climbed an A that were collored,the lights has also different highs,and collors.Not a thing i want to rely on

EDIT:if the tower has the high you mention it sure are at flight maps,in dk they stop showíng then at sub 300ft,these towers usaly dont have light on aswell,unless they are near an airport

Stay safe
Stefan Faber