alan

Bungee vs bands on freebags

Another FYI riggers and others.

If you receive a system that uses the rubber bands on the freebag locking stows, it is illegal to pack it with a PD reserve, unless of course if a rubber band can be defined as a bungee stow.

Just something to be aware of when determining equipment compatibilty for assembly or making a purchasing decision.

Not a slam on PD or anyone else, just a little information that could easily be overlooked.
alan

This is not true if the container manufacture allows it. If there is a conflict between the canopy and container manufacture the container manufacture prevails. See FAA AC 105-2C 11a which can be found here

Right, and of course I'm sure there is a good reason that a container manufaturer would be advising riggers (who by the way are the last line of responsibility in determining the compadability of components) to disreguard the instructions of a major manufacturer of reserve canopies.

Whatever.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Right, and of course I'm sure there is a good reason that a container manufaturer would be advising riggers (who by the way are the last line of responsibility in determining the compadability of components) to disreguard the instructions of a major manufacturer of reserve canopies.

You right, because the container manufacture's do the testing for the TSO as part of their reserve system and not the canopy manufacture's. Obviously the container manufacture knows more about their system than the canopy manufacture and the FAA agreed (see AC 105-2 11a). And of all of the canopy manufacture's you are only talking about a single manufacture.

And of all of the canopy manufacture's you are only talking about a single manufacture.

And your point is? They (PD) have some of the most stringent requirements in the industry about how their products should be used. It's their perogitive, and I don't see it hurting their sales a whole lot really.

Speaking of a single manufacture requiring or recomending something..seems like a Florida based Pop-top container manufacturer has their own ideas, but won't support another manufacturers requirements....... hmmmmm well everybody's entiteled to their opinion I guess.

And your point is?

That every container manufacturer determines compatibility with their systems.

Speaking or a single manufacture requiring or recomending something..seems like a Florida based Pop-top container manufacturer has their own ideas

And your point is? Yes they have their ideas just as RWS has the Skyhook. Mirage has the unison harness etc. And now there is a second manufacturer using a speed bag in their reserve system.

And my original point is that the post that started this thread was incorrect.

This is not true if the container manufacture allows it. If there is a conflict between the canopy and container manufacture the container manufacture prevails. See FAA AC 105-2C 11a which can be found here

Yes, I had that in front of me when I posted. Also, I got that question right on my written exam. I interpreted it to pertain to the "how to" part of assembly and not determining compatibility. I may very well be wrong, but, and I emphasize but, The FAA and its' field reps have been known to be inconsistent in their interpretations of the regaulations they enforce so maybe I'm entitled as well.

Do a little search of my posts here http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=807049;#807049 and you'll see I pointed this out in a discussion between Hooknswoop (Derek) and rigging65 (Ryan). Proper assembly, not compatibilty. I am anxious to see what Derek finds out from PD.
alan

Aerodyne

I thought a "speed bag" was defined as a bag that was designed so that every line stow was also a locking stow? As far as I know the Icon freebag has elastic flutes inside a line stow pocket, and still uses a bungee safety stow for the locking stows. At least that's what I remember from PIA.

BTW, the bickering in these forums over some of the dumbest things (IMO) gets tiring REAL fast:)

Aerodyne

Not unless they've changed it from what they showed at PIA....which is possible, but I haven't seen it. Anyone else?

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Not unless they've changed it from what they showed at PIA....which is possible, but I haven't seen it. Anyone else?

I inpsected the Icon and the Smart very closely at Eloy.

The Icon's reserve free bag uses a bungee safety stow and a pouch that opens with Velcro on 3 sides, like a Tail pocket. It had elastic sewn in for the line stows. My concern was spectra, etc small lines vs. Dacron reserve lines. The rep didn't have an answer, but said he would talk to the designers about it.

Derek

My concern was spectra, etc small lines...

What's the concern? The flutes are simply there to provide order to the lines, not really to hold them hard and fast in place because, as most of us agree, you don't need retention, just order. Like KellyF said, I would imagine that the fact they are elastic helps with that, but I'd say all they do in real life is keep order, end of story.

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.

What's the concern?

If the flutes are set up for spectra and the reserve has Dacron lines, the flutes may slow down a slow-speed reserve deployment.

Derek

I see your point but the bag I looked at in Eloy(same one you looked at I assume) appeared to have flutes that could accomodate spectra or dacron lines easily. Overall, my take on it is that they are there for neatness and order.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the concern?

If the flutes are set up for spectra and the reserve has Dacron lines, the flutes may slow down a slow-speed reserve deployment.

Derek

Maybe, but I think you might be reading too much into it. Remember you're talking about an almost inline pull, through a flexible fabric. I can certainly see your point, but I don't really see it being an issue. Of course, I've never jumped one or really sat down and played with it, so what the hell do I know!!! :P:P

What was funny was the rep had never heard of a reserve with Dacron lines.

Thats actually kinda sad. Perhaps the reps should be a bit better informed before they're representing a product.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

What was funny was the rep had never heard of a reserve with Dacron lines.

Yeah, that's pretty bad... He'd probably crap himself if you explained belly bands to him. ;)

Thats actually kinda sad. Perhaps the reps should be a bit better informed before they're representing a product.

Perhaps the rep is actually a very well informed and talented marketing rep, who has been in the sport for a little while, but never been a rigger. Maybe he has studied the product he's representing to the nth degree, and can answer any questions *about his product* Maybe Aerodyne has never manufactured a Dacron lined reserve.

Maybe you shouldn't pass judgment so quickly. You ever seen one? How about a reserve made of natural fibers instead of nylon?

Maybe the sky is orange....

:ph34r::D