base689

SL with "SL-carry-with-you" setup

> One disadvantage to using a carabiner instead of a rapid link would be that after the main breakcord breaks and the bridle is pulling the CWY SL off the object there is a possibility of the carabiner hitting something on the object hard enough to open the gate and catch itself on the object.
Not exactly.
First: My "small carabineer" is just the size of a connector link
Second: My "small carabineer" is on the main branch side that is directly connected to the secondary branch, so the whip stroke is such that only the textile part of fast CWY hits/goes around handrail, the "small carabineer" part is already off the structure; and, in case in "any case" the small carabineer hits the structure someway somehow, that's what the connection via second break loop cord is there for.
Stay safe out there
Blue Skies and Soft Walls
BASE #689 - base_689AT_NO_123_SPAMyahoo.com

I got the super-non-fancy-made-in-china-Walmart verity B|

You don't worry about those piece of junk fake carabiners breaking before the breakcord does. This might bring up the whole debate about 80lbs. vs. 160lbs. needed to break the breakcord. 160lbs. on those junk 'biners kind of scares me. :S

What are you calling junk? I payed a whole buck and 99 for a set of three ;)

Dude, if it breaks it's 0.66! As for strength...so far so good :P

Think about it. Andrea's carabiners is really, really nice but if he loses it, he has to go to the very special nautical store that probably it is located 200 miles away. He lives in Italy and gas is 4 times as expensive. Then they pay something like 10c/mile of tow fees. Then the piece itself...probably you need to mortgage your house for that little cute SS carabiners!

If I break or lose one I got two more! If I break or lose all of them, I go to Wal-mart and get a whole new set for 1.99 pus shipping and handling and applicable taxes and I'm set for a whole season!

B|
Memento Audere Semper

My concern wasn't the price. If the carabiner breaks before the breakcord does (because it's a piece of junk! ;)) and didn't produce enough force to open the container and extract the canopy then you'll be relying on your PC to do the work.

Ok I've just stopped to think about that again and I'm realizing that the breakcord doesn't see much force until the canopy is already at line stretch huh?

How much force do you think is required to open the container and extract the canopy to line stretch?

Ok Russel I'll buy a better one ;)

How much force do you think is required to open the container and extract the canopy to line stretch?

I calculated about 15 LBS.
Memento Audere Semper

Ok, then forget it. My comments were useless. :P

Although I'd say you should be shot if you bought that thing at Wally-Mart. You probably lost at LEAST 50 IQ points just driving into the parking lot! ;)

Ok, then forget it. My comments were useless.

No they are not. I might buy a better one, so in case I have to SL you, you won't bitch ;)

You probably lost at LEAST 50 IQ points just driving into the parking lot!

Damn! I go to Wally-World almost daily! No wonder why I do rigging with their products :S
Memento Audere Semper

Damn! I go to Wally-World almost daily! No wonder why I do rigging with their products :S

Ok, there's NO way I'm letting you EVER set up a static line or anything else for me then! ;) :P :D

I actually measured that with a spring scale and a video camera once a long, long time ago. I did several test drops, and as I recall you're pretty close for a pin rig, but the velcro took noticeably more. For pin rigs, the spike in the force required was when the canopy took load, but the spike for shrivel flap removal was actually greater for the velcro rig.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I might as well post my idea of the subject and see what you guys think about it. I must underline that this system HAS NOT BEEN JUMPED by me, it is purely a prototype built (at the moment) for experimental purposes only. I've been reading these posts about different CWY SL setups and based on them I started to figure out my own setup, starting out from couple basic principles :
- The setup must be fast to use so it should be possible to tie the breakcords before one goes to the object. This obviously is achieved only by usage of carabiner or a rapid link.
- System should have secondary breakcord in case the SL hangs to the object
- System should be kept as simple as possible

And this is what I came up. :) In the pictures there is no PC because I wanted to focus only to the SL system itself. When using this system I always intend to use PC. Also in these pictures breakcords are simulated by pull up cords (blue simulating the primary breakcord and red simulating the backup breakcord), in real life one should always naturally use breakcord built for this purpose.

Please comment freely what you think about it : http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/masaari/sl/sl_parts.html
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Maretus,good that your trying to find better ways i like your idea of thinking.

First off i think if you have 2 peices you have a better chance to do somthing stupied(not as simpel as it can be)

Im not sure i see your setup right but the way i see it(sorry if i see it wrong) its easy for you to get a "cut away" as of the system you have build.

Did you see the above stills?
i set up my gear as i have done packing,all i havve to do is to open the rapid link or carabiner and close it again,then jump.
I attach the setup on 2 different places on my bridel(same attachment point) that way first load WILL go to my main break cord,in case of a hang up first then my second breakcord will be effected.

As on your setup the cut away cord ofcourse brings the SL whith me down.

Perhaps i look wrong at your setup as im used to my own.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

First off i think if you have 2 peices you have a better chance to do somthing stupied(not as simpel as it can be)

You might be right there, a one piece system would be simpler and thus maybe more foolproof.

Im not sure i see your setup right but the way i see it(sorry if i see it wrong) its easy for you to get a "cut away" as of the system you have build.

Could you explain that a little more, I did not quite get what you meant by "getting cut away" ?

Did you see the above stills?
i set up my gear as i have done packing,all i havve to do is to open the rapid link or carabiner and close it again,then jump.
I attach the setup on 2 different places on my bridel(same attachment point) that way first load WILL go to my main break cord,in case of a hang up first then my second breakcord will be effected.

Did you mean the setup described here http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=11433; ? So you attach that with the backup breakcord to the bridle from the "bottom" of the SL device ? Where do you place the rapid link or the carabiner ? To the upper end of the SL ?

Thanks for your thoughts on it bro, that's directly what I asked. :)
http://www.ufufreefly.com