DexterBase

Bridle...hmmm...

Does anyone else see anything wrong with this? I'll let people reply before saying anything.

edit: Oh yeah, pic is off the Morpheus site.

bridleslack.jpg

thought the same thing when i saw it...
pc in tow comin' right up?
tension on the bridle won't allow the pins to be pulled, i reckon...

only know to BR bridel(yes newbie),the bridel should go through the lowest pin and there should be a velcro thing above the higest pin.the flap is open(so you can see)it should in MOST cases be closed before you jump.

did i pass or did i dump:)
ohh one more failur.. i dont have such a hardness[:/]and i would like one:)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I currently only jump a velcro rig, so I don't know, but what's the poop Dex, I expect to have a pin rig one day for wingsuit BASE, but that's off a ways yet, and I'll prolly get a gargoyle. Is it just misrouted or is it a tension issue?
Blair

Just learning how to pack (skydiving), but I've been taught to leave enough "free" bridle to pull the pin, before it's (the bridle) tucked under the flap. That one looks like the bridle would have to get free of the closing flap before it could extract the pin.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

No freeplay in the bridle at the top pin.

It's tucked under the side flap completely. If the bridle does not slip out easily, there is a chance of a pilot chute in tow.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Exactly!

If that rig is a tight one, there may be too much pressure on the bridle to allow the top pin to be pulled. Many BASE rigs- and skydiving rigs- have a velcro tab to remind you to leave slack above the pin.

Pretty scary, but I think it illustrates how detail attentive you need to be in this sport.

Of course since I don't jump this rig (Gargoyle), or have any experience with it, there may be something I don't see.

I'm confused though because isn't the pull sequence going to be coming from the bottom pin first anyways therefore creating slack for the top pin to be extracted right after the bottom pin is released?

Just curious...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

If the bridle is tucked in there very tightly and leaving no slack above that top pin, it will not allow enough room for the pin to be extracted.

Try this on your skydiving rig. Hold the bridle in place just above the pin then Try and pull it from the pilot chute end. You'll get the Idea.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Just for the record, the Gargoyle owner's manual does state to leave extra bridle above the top pin. That photo should be pulled, as it may give someone the wrong impression about bridle slack.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

Sure enough - duh!

Thought about it, tried it, you are definately correct. That's the biggest reason I am against myself getting into BASE - sometimes (most of the time) I have a very hard time learning new rigging techniques and visualizing them.

BSBD

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Regarding this thread... Dexter, you are correct in reference to the bridle. Back when we first started the website, we had some photographs taken by a professional at a friend's studio. For aesthetic purposes, they folded the bridle back on itself. We agree that there should be continuity between our website pix and our manual. We will be replacing them in order not to cause any further confusion.

Sincerely,
Kathy Jones
Morpheus Technologies

Threw together a crappy little illustration that details the problem out. Definitely good to have slack in your bridle around your pin... whether it be a skydiving or a BASE rig.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

slacker.gif

Oops... I drew it wrong. The bridle would be sandwiched more between the parachute and the flaps, not between the flaps (unless you really fucked up).

Click

You still captured the essence of the problem. I liked your drawing. If you want to see how it's really done, check out my crappy drawing in the static line thread!

Nice. Was that also you that had supplemented my velcro theory with a device that would keep the velcro PCA attached to the bridle?

Click

no, that was me. I have the bridle and velcro pieces cut, but have been waiting on pins from paragear(I was fresh out). They came yesterday so I'll have it built by next jump. After some more thought it occurred to me that if one uses a fairly sizeable length of velcro strip double-sided(say, 6-7 inches for a total of 12-14 sq in. of velcro surface area for ~60-70 lbs of pull force), then one can adjust the pull force based on how much of the velcro length one engages when setting it up... adjustable breaking force. Then just mark points based on pull force measurements for future ref. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'll let you know the results when I've tested it.

Gardner

p.s. in hindsight, though... dexter's design is a fair bit simpler - and would probably be less likely to snag - especially if the rapide is eliminated. these things will only work around round railings, small trees and maybe angle iron, but you couldn't run this velcro design through a piece of 12mm static rope loop. Well, you could, and more than likely you'll probably live.