skydiven4fun

First base Jump

Hello everyone, I would like some information.
I am considering giving base jumping a try, I am fortunete enough to know some really good base jumpers and have made my share of skydives with them. My queston is what equipment would be suitable for someone my size. I would want to buy my own equipment prior to making my first jump. I would feel more comfortable I believe.
I am 220 lbs without gear.
any feed back would be appreciated.
Still here after all these years

Clayton

In the interests of not typing too much, I've attached my stock "lecture" response to this (very common) question. The file is a standard .txt file. If you want another format, let me know and I'll email it to you (.pdf and .doc were both too large for the forum attachment quota).

I am 220 lbs without gear.

For a standard 220 lb beginner, I'd recommend:
Vision: Good no frills velcro rig. If you can't find a used one, and aren't willing to wait for a new one (it can sometimes take quite a while), I'd go with a Reactor 4.
Flik 322: Assuming an exit weight around 245, we have a wingloading of (245 / 322 = ) .76. This is a bit high, but since the Flik 322 is pretty much the biggest canopy on the market, you're not going to be able to do any better. I'd skip the Vtec (valved or not), and just get the canopy. I'd definitely skip ZP on the topskin. You'll have to make up your own mind on the multi.
I had a lot of thoughts on your specific situation, so I've PM'd those to you.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

rig.txt

Hey Tom,
Your "lecture" (My First BASE Rig) is still up on the home page under Latest News. Nice job with that.

I've searched and tried links but can't find anything on the Vision or Gravity Sports Limited. Can you help? Also is The Rock Hopper still around?

I'm a big guy too and guessing you're recommending the Flik 322 to Mike because of size only?

Are your "thoughts on specific situation" personal or specific to Mike only or could you share that?

Thanks,

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway

So being that I weigh 250 but nekid, I'm pretty much screwed for BASE jumping? (I'm what people would call a 'cornfed muthafucker').
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I've searched and tried links but can't find anything on the Vision or Gravity Sports Limited.

Try the Gravity Sports Limited web site.

...is The Rock Hopper still around?

Try the CJAA web page. You can also try posting to the BASE Board since the head honcho over there is also the president of the CJAA. Another place to look for info is Vertical Visions, since BASE 428 was pretty involved with the last Rock Hopper.

I'm a big guy too and guessing you're recommending the Flik 322 to Mike because of size only?

Yep. It's the thing that gets him closest to a .75 wingloading.

Are your "thoughts on specific situation" personal or specific to Mike only or could you share that?

They were specific to his situation, based on my knowledge of his local objects and jumpers.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

...I weigh 250 butt nekid...

You're not totally screwed, but you will need to understand the limitations imposed by your weight and wingloading. I know a very good, active BASE jumper who weighs 265 pounds.
I've heard several people ask about this. If someone wants to start a thread on Fat Boy BASE (either here or on BLiNC), I think it might make an interesting discussion.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Fat Boy BASE

Hey now, you don't even know me...:P

(I'm an avid weight lifter)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

...I weigh 250 butt nekid...

ask about this. If someone wants to start a thread on Fat Boy BASE (either here or on BLiNC), I think it might make an interesting discussion.

We're not fat, we're "big boned." Also see: "festively plump."

Being a big boy does introduce some specific considerations in the BASE game. Most (other than simply canopy size) are really only relevant out at the fringes of the BASE envelope. If anyone ever wants my $0.10 on such topics, I'll be happy to share my experience. However, as Tom said, there's not too many of us big boys in BASE, and far fewer (two that I know of) really pushing the edges.

Peace,

D-d0g
[email protected]
{stabilizing at around 230 in birthday suit after a fall of heavy lifting at the expense of any aerobic work whatsoever :o }
+~+~+~+~
But this, surely, was the glory that no spirits, canine or human, had ever clearly seen, the light that never was on land or sea, and yet is glimpsed by the quickened mind everywhere.

I know a very good, active BASE jumper who weighs 265 pounds.

Tom, I was doing a search for some other stuff and came across this today. I'd be interested in talking with this person. Is he on dropzone.com, or anything? Being the only other person I know in this weight class, it might would do me some good to talk some things over with him.

Ganja "On a Moab diet currently" Rodriguez

What comes to mind is this: do you think you'll be more prone to injury given that you don't weigh 100 pounds less? It seems to me that the people who survive with the least injuries are also the lightest.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I'm a slim and trim 240 pounder. I've jumped Mojo 280s & 310s, and Fox 285s, all without problem. When you get to the larger sizes there are efficiencies of flight. The standard wingloading of .6 to .8 are not usually possible for larger jumpers, and don't seem to apply equally. You would want to be a very proficient canopy pilot in this weight range as heavier people bounce harder when landings go bad. Also, at lower altitudes (sub 300) consider that your canopy weighs as much as 40% more than the little guy's with the same PC.

Good luck.

I've also jumped 260's on easier objects and my 1st was on a Fury (220).