Zenister

BASE tracking

some questions, how does it differ from a 'maximum lift' skydiving track?

Ive seen some posts about pointing toes out more than straight, and have asked questions and advice from the BASE locals I've met at Eloy, but would like more pointers and wisdom from as wide an audience as possible.

also, is there any reason why BASE tracking techniques would not be useful in skydiving tracking dives (where the intent is maximum horizontal distance)?

“some questions, how does it differ from a 'maximum lift' skydiving track?
For big wall BASEing”
There is no 'maximum lift' track. There is only a “better optimized” track.
The way it differs is the development. That you have solid positional references to differentiate your improvements or lack thereof, as in the exit point, wall, talus, and ledges as opposed to an aircraft jump, where the exit point is moving and ground zero is normally the ref when jumping solo. One can´t control what one can´t measure. With aircraft jumps the factors are largely hypothetical when jumping solo, as in: I felt I tracked with maximum lift. Actual distance away from the fixed exit point is much more perceivable from the object than from the aircraft. With Bigwall stuff one can see a definite correlation between style of track and distance achieved and thereby improve upon it and see in realtime the effects of a new style.

”Ive seen some posts about pointing toes out more than straight, and have asked questions and advice from the BASE locals I've met at Eloy, but would like more pointers and wisdom from as wide an audience as possible.”
Ask the Eloy jumpers to evaluate your track. Pay for it. This is the only way one can improve their tracking in skydiving. Side by side.By working with an optimal tracker and honing in on outtracking the evaluator. In short, Try a slight de-arch, shoulders cupped, toes rotated to the outside (penguintrack), and hands pushing down to keep the head on the same level as the feet. Any headdown sucks.

”also, is there any reason why BASE tracking techniques would not be useful in skydiving tracking dives (where the intent is maximum horizontal distance)?”
It would be a useful tool if you happened to need it. But normally tracking dives are to fly together, not leaving the others to eat your dust. Also, on RW jumps, if one did a more efficient track than the others, one would have a much higher risk of somebody dumping in their face. I have found that it is safer to track on the same slope as the others in skydiving at break off than to do a more efficient track than the others.

This all brings us to: Are you dressed for success?
Short pants and a floppy sweatshirt? Baggy trousers and a T-shirt. Short pants and a T-shirt, Floppy sweat and baggy pants? One needs to figure out what is the best. For me, a little arm flappage, and a little more for the leg.
I hope this helps.

As a plug for me, I tracked 220m in 9sec at #7 with a running exit and my rocket pants at Kjerag, Norway.

Take care,
space

thanks thats the exact kind of advise i was looking for..I LIVE for tracking dives.

the group stuff is really really fun, but i most enjoy two ways..Ive been working alot with some of the guys from AFI trying to get the most lift / most forward movement possible. "i can float on you kind of challenge". I really enjoy tracking, even the large tracking dives were we are staying together (but I do get a cringe of disappointment sometimes diving down the the formation..i dont like giving up my alti..:)
i usually track in my FF pants (fairly baggy) and a light long sleeve shirt. I'm really interested in the track pants as a further improvement..

once again thanks, my goal so far is to become the best tracker i possibly can, and i want to avoid learning any 'bad' habits that may not transfer well to BASE..

The link at the bottom of the article doesn't work. Anyone have it?

The link at the bottom of the article doesn't work. Anyone have it?

search for 'tracking.mov' on skydivingmovies.com

I'm hoping Outrager will chime in here. He's the best BASE tracker I know. Let's bump this up to the top...

Strange I heard you where the one, Tom...

Well Outrager, would be the best if he just wouldn't have his problems getting stable without a wingsuit. Have you ever seen him without one?? I havn't.

Ill say the Norgies are the one with the most terminal base-track- experience If they are the best is hard to say. Now adays Ill see many skilled trackers from all sides of the world. but there is a difference between trackers in Tracksuits and the ones without.
/Martin - Team Bautasten of Sweden

I tracked 220m in 9sec

Don't know anything about rocket pants...
but that seems quite a distance for that time.

As for track dives in skydiving, I agree, those
are not even close to optimal tracks. I know
cause I frequently lead them on my back and
sometimes have to slow down.

When I want to really max track I race this
kid who is 22, 6' 3", and weighs like 180 LBs.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

Yuri's a good tracker even without the wingsuit. Even in his early days, that's all he tried to do. He finally perfected it. You know when you get that maximum because it's like being in the zone. Stein Edwardson I recall did some pretty good tracks too but while wearing a goretex jacket.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

Yuri's a good tracker even without the wingsuit. Even in his early days, that's all he tried to do. He finally perfected it. You know when you get that maximum because it's like being in the zone. Stein Edwardson I recall did some pretty good tracks too but while wearing a goretex jacket.

EEh ok. So we are saying that Stein edvarsen, Yuri and Space are the ones being best known for great tracks.

you guys are in for a treat.

welcome to the real and new world.

Why are we all talking about things that happened like 6 years ago, when real tracking came up 2 years ago...

Hey Tom, I think you might be in the top after all :D

/martin

Why are we all talking about things that happened like 6 years ago, when real tracking came up 2 years ago...

Um, I don't know? You were the one who responded to a post from 2002, after all.

I'll stand by the post. When I made it 5 years ago (post dated: Dec 6, 2002, 1:45 PM), Yuri was the best BASE tracker I knew.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

cool deal. i can't wait to see it (and learn from it). welcome to the future.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

You were the one who responded to a post from 2002, after all.

Classic!!:P:P
Web Design
Cleveland Skydiving
"Hey, these cookies don't taste anything like girl scouts..."

I tracked 220m in 9sec

Read in an other post by Space that...

It was with a running exit from #7. Definately possible...must have a perfect exit.

Kris

some "early days" saw few french jumpers jumping from Karls.... they went all the way to the bottom with their goretex....
so what is REAL tracking ????

and they did that with big PD canopies in their racer !!

ok ok ok, Ill take my hat of for the whole thread ;)

I did answer on a 5 year old thread. I didnt realize that.

And I know about the frenchis doing monster tracks from Karlskråtind. That is real tracking.

hey what is real
This thread went a bit psycodelical here with all the blasts from the past. I don't know what to say anymore. Maybe somebody give me an answer from 1982...

the beers (budwisers) are on me