miconar

Wingsuit double malfunction

He over-rotated on the barrel roll. As he unintentionally came onto his back, his legs were likely open and uneven. That probably caused the flat spin. Jumping an S-Wing at 14 wingsuit jumps didn't help any either.

The reserve pilot chute hesitation could have been due to the slow post-cutaway speed and the burble of the larger suit, although there may have been a gear issue too. IMO it's best, during skydives at least, to minimize the burble during deployment by closing the arm and leg wings.

Who knows. Sometimes these things just happen.

In umpteen hundred wingsuit jumps, I've had 1 experience where the final locking stows of my main wouldn't come undone, leaving me with the bag towing behind. This cleared as soon as I looked over my shoulder - the air rushing past me at that point was enough to finish off the job and I had only a line twist as a consequence (result of going asymmetric at that point). It's quite reasonable for either a bag or reserve PC in tow to be experienced for a few seconds in a wingsuit.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13