jmfreefly

Vigil AAD - First Impressions

I just got my Vigil in the mail yesterday, and I looked it over. I figured I would post my first impressions of the unit.

It came in a nice, durable case (a cheaper Halliburton-style case, but still nice). Very well packaged with dense foam cutouts.

In the package was:
The Unit/cutter/control assembly, all hooked up and ready to go
A computer printed manual (Kim told me the nice manuals weren't out yet, so no biggie)
A patch (so you can front that you are sponsored like Majik)
An allen wrench (for battery changes)
Supposedly there is a second, replacement filter, but I didnt see one. I didn't go digging under and around the foam though.

The unit was assembled and ready to go. After reading through the first part of the manual, I was impressed by all the features that I had heard about.

The turn on sequence is quick and very understandable. Instead of a number only LCD, it is a fully text capable LCD on the control unit. This allows the control checks/battery checks/cutter checks to be verified in words instead of numeric codes.

After self test, there is a brief opportunity to enter the subsequent menu structure to change things like the mode (pro,student,tandem), the dz offset, US/Metric units switch, and to retrieve all the information about the unit (like SN, Software Version, Cutter Version, Total number of jumps, total freefall time, last freefall time and max speed..)

Oh yeah, you could turn the LCD readout upside-down, if your rig has the window 'backwards' .
That is a nice touch.

The menus were easy to navigate.. to go to the next option, you just didnt press anything for a second or so, and it would go to the next entry that was available.

The turn on/off sequences were cool, as it showed you the 1/3 2/3 3/3 button push progression (little LCD boxes, showing you what step you are on) . It uses the familiar LCD light a la cypress to prompt you.

The big plus is that the sequence is very quick, and getting to the offset is significantly quicker.. and quicker to get to the SN than the cyrpess 2.. but then again.. there isnt a huge need to do that more than a few times in its life..

The unit is essentially the same size as the cypress 2 (I have cypress 1, 2, and now vigil). Everything on the unit seems well put together with good fit and finish.

One feature that I had heard about, but didn't think about how they might implement it, is the upload/download of software to the unit. I just assumed the IR port was in the main unit .. but they intelligently put it in the control unit, where the red/yellow LCDs are. Smart. (of course, allowing the unit to be accessed without a repack). I love to see more information about this aspect..

The manual is pretty good, but there are a few clarifications that should be added (regarding the offset +/-). It could benefit from some diagrams I think.

There are still a few outstanding questions I have about some of the vigil features (retaining offsets/mode after turnoff, comparison to cypress warnings), which I posed to Kim (at Vigil USA) here:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=799688;#799688

I'll let you know what my rigger says about it when he swaps it for my existing Cypress-1.

Oh yeah, last big grin factor -- they offer cutter replacements for documented saves. Nice.

Yeah thanks, but who needs all those gimmiks? OK, it is not bad to have more features but my point is: The only interesting part of the new Vigil is - Does it work - and does it work properly. Don't get me wrong but we only know more about it after the first couple serves or failures. I wish nobody will ever need it but you know. It needs to prove its reliability

First off, I completely agree, features mean nothing if the unit doesn't save your life when you need it to, or the unit fires when it shouldn't.

As for your post, "Who needs them all"? Well, I suppose no one needs some of the features.

But, certainly, a lot of the 'features' are for ease of use -- e.g. cypress gives digital codes on failures, which is a 'feature' (indicating where the problem lies). However, Vigil doesn't make you go look it up. To me, that is an improvement.

As for the 'first couple of saves or failures', that was true when Cypress first came out also. I haven't been in this sport long enough to have experienced the 'time before the cypress', but here is what the older jumpers at our dz relate to me (this could be partially inaccurate)--

From their accounts, it used to be that people WOULDN'T jump with you if you had a cypress, because of the perceived unreliability (based on older AADs from other companies). People worried about premature fires (a reasonable worry), because Cypress hadn't proven itself yet in field trials.

From what I understand, the sentiment changed when Tom Piras died. Sponsored by the AAD mfg, with a Cypress in his rig, but turned off. Jumpers started thinking "If this guy died because of a freak accident, and could have been saved by a cypress-- why not give myself that chance also"

Now, there is plenty of data about the reliability of the unit, and I currently jump cypresses in both my rigs, as I have yet to swap the vigil in there.

But, I absolutely believe that another company can build just as reliable a unit. Granted, there is risk involved as it evolves, but from everything I have seen and read about it and the drop tests, it looks like we have that company and that product.

Heck, you should want others to be the test dummies, right?

You're right. It looks like it is more convenient than the cypress. However, if you're used to the Cypres start up it is also easy - I don't think it is a big thing and if I see some numbers in the end I'll try again and if it won't come clear - my rigger will do the job. The only downpoint I can see right now is the fact if you're setting a different landing attitude. How's that on the Vigil?

I don't have a problem jumping with people who use Vigils - they might fail like Cypres did or vice versa. On the other hand: if there is more competition there might be more improvements which makes our sport safer. So in the end everybody wins ;-)

You're right. It looks like it is more convenient than the cypress. However, if you're used to the Cypres start up it is also easy - I don't think it is a big thing and if I see some numbers in the end I'll try again and if it won't come clear - my rigger will do the job. The only downpoint I can see right now is the fact if you're setting a different landing attitude. How's that on the Vigil?

Much easier, in fact. Instead of holding that stupid button down through the whole turnon cycle, you just wait until the Vigil's unit completes its tests, then presents you with a few seconds at each of a several menus. If you want to set an altitude offset for the landing zone then you just go into the right menu. It presents you with the opportunity to go up.. and you can adjust it up.. and then it presents you with the opportunity to go down, and you can go down. If you screw it up, you just go back to that menu just like the first time.

The one big difference in offsets is that it retains the offset after the jump, and even after power down. Not really better or worse, just different. If I was at a dz that always had an offset for takeoff and landing areas, or I was doing several demo jumps (where this was a factor), then the Vigil is much more convenient. However, it does mean you have to make sure to change it back the next dropzone you go to.

The other big plus for some might be the fact that the same unit can be in student mode, tandem mode, or pro mode. For dropzones, with many rigs, it might be nice if all units were interchangable, especially when one needs to be pulled for maint..

The lack of a finite lifespan is also a 'plus'..

I reserve judgement on the lack of need of routine maintenance.

I don't have a problem jumping with people who use Vigils - they might fail like Cypres did or vice versa. On the other hand: if there is more competition there might be more improvements which makes our sport safer. So in the end everybody wins ;-)

If you'll be at the Aussie Nationals or Empuriabrava Xmas boogie this year or at the Herc Boogie (Sweden) next year, then you can see some Vigil saves for yourself.

Advanced Aerospace Designs (Vigil, Belgium) will be putting on a show for those of you who would like to see the Vigil in action.

Vigil reps will be exiting the plane with a tertiary rig (3 canopies), will cut away the main, and wait for the Vigil to do its thing and fire the reserve. Of course, the altitude correction setting will be jacked up so the Vigil will activate the reserve at a very conservative height.

I'll keep in touch about any other events or when plans are made to tour the US.
-Kimberly Griffin

Vigil reps will be exiting the plane with a tertiary rig (3 canopies), will cut away the main, and wait for the Vigil to do its thing and fire the reserve. Of course, the altitude correction setting will be jacked up so the Vigil will activate the reserve at a very conservative height.

will they also be taking the vigil to terminal (i.e. no user deployed canopies) as well?

I was at RWS (they are dealers) last week and they had several Vigils for their outgoing complete rigs. After getting to see one up-close, I was totally impressed. From the housing to the cables (they're made of a kevlar sheath), to the control unit. I'm getting one.

Currently, Vigil USA has 16 dealers in the US, two in Canada and two in South America. We are purposefully keeping the dealer network somewhat small. Many Vigil dealers have units in stock right now or they could have by the end of Jan. (Everything until then is sold.)

I would post the dealer list here but I don't want to overstep the rules in regards to sales on this site.

I can email you the info or you can find it on wwww.vigil.aero (a pdf file, so you will need Abobe Acrobat Reader to view it.)
-Kimberly Griffin