Bodyflight.Net

Choosing a Conservative Main

Ok, opinions please on this for sure!
I am currently happy flying a PD190 or Navigator .. I feel very confident and do well.. I am considering a downsize to a 170 Sabre. I have flown this canopy 1 time and did well, although it was faster than I expected, I still landed well.
My concern is (if you read my profile) that I don't have much experience under canopy only 23 flights so far. I plan on doing a few jumps with Scott Miller to get even better and ready for the 170.
My question is, is there a LESS high performance canopy, that I am LESS likely to pummel myself into the ground with. I noticed that with the Sabre, I have to COUNTER a turn to stop it, with the navigator, I can just let up and it will straighten itself out.. I like the latter better, it seems safer to me. So the real question is, is a 170 Sabre, and a PD 170 or Navigator, essentially the same? Is it a size thing? Shape? What makes one stop a turn on its own and the other require a counter-measure to stop it???
The reason for my downsize is #1 I'm still underloading, #2 easier overall flight control with less bulk overhead #3 LESS BULK on my back. Besides, I'm nearly bored with the 190.

Oh, and finally, is a Sabre 2 all that different than the original??

I load my main at about .97. I love my Spectre (7 cell zp) because at that wingloading it's easy to land, fun to fly and docile enough that even if I screw up on landing I'm likely to walk back to the packing hangar.

The Navigator is a student canopy, the Sabre is a "sport" canopy, so yes, even though they are both nine cell zp they will fly differently.

The Sabre2 is different from the original. The original is rectangular in shape, the Sabre2 has a bit of "taper" to it's shape. Opens better than the original and has a bit flatter glide angle than the original.

I'm doing Scott's course tomorrow - can't wait! :)

Scott Miller, The Canopy School at DeLand. Scott went Reserve side with me on my 1st 2 jumps many years ago now. He since opened his own canopy school, see him on the web www.freedomofflight.tv and learn about it.
He's cost effective and one of the best canopy coaches around!!!! He's also a big warm teddy bear kinda guy, AWESOME!!!

Also note. Most student canopies are De-Tuned. i.e. the steering lines are longer. Making the canopy less responsive. You can do this with any canopy you choose. Just remember. It takes a longer stroke to get you into trouble. It takes a longer stroke to get ou out of trouble.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I have recently gone from a Sabre(1) to a Spectre of the same size and they are lovely, lovely canopies. Compared to the Sabre, the Spectre feels very solid and a little more forgiving. The openings are wonderfully predictable - soft and on heading and the landings are great too.

I'd definitely suggest that you demo one before deciding what to buy!

Info on Spectre flight characteristics can be found here:

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Spectre-Flight-Char.pdf

hth!

Vicki

Try a 7 cell, (good advice). I am very happy with my model 5.0 Triathlon.
If you stick with a 9 cell - you might want to try a PD Silouette. I believe it falls between a Navigator and a Sabre in performance. I've heard some good things about it from some very experienced jumpers.
(Bill Booth jumps one). Plus you get the added benifits of easier packing (It's a hybrid) and crisp
opennings.
D