skydiverkeith

Best Wingsuit For Slow Fall Rate/Long Flight

Skills...

I know people in 'intermediate suits' who do better times and distances than a lot of folks in 'advanced' models. Big suits hinder progressing skills for a lot of people, more than they help.
5 Tailstrikes this year. 5 times a big suits.

Less and less DZs in USA where caravans are off-limits to wingsuits due to big suits and the chase for low fallrates combined with low skills.

Its a rant, but its one more people should read. Including the guys selling those big suits to people fresh of their FFC.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

It's a bad poll.

Very few (if any) people have flown both suits extensively enough to probably get a feel for which was better. I am willing to bet even fewer own both suits (if any). And if they did, it may depend solely upon their flying style for what they get out of the suit.

Not to mention, don't you think X2 vs Venom would have been a better poll?

_justin

p.s. both of those are pretty advanced suits, but you probably already new that.

OMG. Really? The first Reply? Please start or contribute to a thread about wingsuit progression/safety and leave this one alone unless you have some relevant info. Thank you. (but I thought for sure you of all people would vote for the Venom:P)

I think your missing the point entirely, a poll of this kind is pointless, skill set is far better and to be honest this kind of poll even if it could point to slowest longest etc etc just fuels many newbies to jump onto the biggest suit far too early. A poll around your progression route or a thread along those lines would be far more valuable. For example my progression below:

Classic 1 50 jumps
Classic 2 250 jumps
Gti 150 jumps
Skyflyer 1 250 jumps
Vampire 1 200 jumps
Jii Wings GS1 150 Jumps
Xwing 50 jumps
Stealth 2 75 jumps
Vampire 4 - awaiting DZ opening ;)
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

Hate to give an unsatisfying answer, but, like Jarno, I gotta say "Skills".

I'm currently holding the slot for 3rd longest freefall ever recorded for a 1000 meter drop in competition, ahead of a vast pack of X2's, Venoms, etc.

I did it with an S-Bird just to be a punk. Its not even on your list.

It is not the suit that allows the pilot to fly long and far. The suit only enables further performance if the pilot knows how.

The top 3 suits seem to be X2, Venom and Apache. Till the next model comes out anyway. We don't need a poll to tell us that. The other 4 of the top 5 distance pilots above my rank are all flying Apaches. The remaining two above my rank in Time are both flying X2's.

I'm buying an Apache now because I actually DO need the extra power it offers to up my game in my comp career and the only way I'm gonna get the additional 15 seconds and 500 meters I need to claim #1 in either Time or Distance is if my gear is up to the same spec as the last few birds at the very top because they really DO know how to use their megasuits to their limits and although I can compete with that in a "small" suit I can't beat it.

There would be more serious contenders and high rankholders in Medium-grade suits if more pilots would actually learn to USE the suit they've GOT. I'm only going to gain a few percent performance from the Apache and the only place that amount matters is in competition against a field so small you could fit all of us in a Cessna. People keep asking your question hoping to buy their way to impressive performance. It is not going to happen. Instead what we get is tailstrikes. I know contributing to this was not your intention with this poll, but the poll reinforces the same thinking that got us into this situation to begin with- pilots asking "whats the max" and then going directly to that max without bothering with the discipline behind its use.

To quote Tolkien,
"Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves. "

We'd be better off if we could convince the up-and-coming birds to spend the money on JUMPS instead of useless upgrades. Buy the suit, get frustrated because somehow you're still not flying like "those guys in megasuits" Spend it on jumps, you can get the performance without bothering with the suit. I'm living proof of that. But nobody notices... they just keep buying the suits... and asking your question.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

I never flew one, but it seems to be a suit designed to fight in that category. Would be glad to try and whoop your arse with it though, not that I have any pretention, just for the fun of flyin together.
Just for reminders, I am not a reference :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM