slackercruster

Comparing wingsuit to no suit

you just stay up until it bores you: then you open your shoot and pop up a quarter mile. some guy was known to fly too close to the sun and the material melted!
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Fly as you like. My longest flight was 138 seconds, my shortest from the same altitude 48 seconds - same suit.
So double the time is easily doable even for a heavy guy with low upper body strength like me.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

Well, having never jumped, how long does one get with no suit?

If you're jumping at 12,500 you're looking at around 55 seconds on your belly without a wingsuit. Less if you're freeflying.

You should get out to a DZ and make a jump. If you like it keep jumping and you can eventually try a wingsuit out for yourself.

Well, having never jumped, how long does one get with no suit?

If you're jumping at 12,500 you're looking at around 55 seconds on your belly without a wingsuit. Less if you're freeflying.

You should get out to a DZ and make a jump. If you like it keep jumping and you can eventually try a wingsuit out for yourself.

That is my plan. But don't think I will ever meet the 200 jumps in 18 month requirements for s wing suit.

Well, if some wings are waiting for you somewhere, you'll be there sooner or later.

If that's not really your type of fun or you just think "well, its kinda cool, gonna try that someday" - you'll realize it as well during the course. Also, dont think that you waste two hundred jumps just to get to wingsuit.

200 in 18 is about being current with your skydiving skills, not about stubbornly doing 200 jumps in 18 months, and as it was mentioned thousand times before - doing so totally worth it.

There are numerous cases when person tries to get into ws sooner than recommended, myself is not an exception, though later you realize that it was not good idea in general.

it's not for everyone....

edited to add :
Slacker, put it that way... I suppose you have a driving license.... Could you imagine driving a Formula1/Nascar/whatever racecar after 200 minutes of driving ? And spending 10k$ to do so ?
See how wingsuiting and BASE are cheap and fast ? :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM