mariobat

WS plan

Hi all,
I'm here to ask to' you how do you plan your wing suit jump,
I try to explan better ( sori for my bad english!!!) :
At wich quote do you fix your turn from a standard jump quote in a DZ ( 12000 ft or 4000mt) ?
Thanks and blue skyes

Are you asking about what altitude you fly the second leg of your jump run/box pattern?
If so, this would be dependent on your flight skills.
For students, we fly 7-10 seconds perpendicular to jump run. Then a turn that puts us parallel to jump run, and we continue that direction as a straight line until we reach deployment altitude of 5.5K.
HTH.

For me it depends on the wind and exit spot. Last weekend I followed the plane for about 30s (lots of wind), then turned 90° for about 10-15s (this seems to be standard; at least 10s perpendicular to jump run) and then back to DZ.

On most "normal jumps" I do 90° for about 10s and then head back to DZ (sometimes in wide "arch" if I think I'll overshoot DZ).

Just make sure you don't fly into someone else's space (avoid any other jumpers before you) and open at safe altitude.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

Thanks, I'm a little more than a WS student and with my P2 I fly with a glide ratio of 2 (this date from my flight site), I'm the only WS in my drop zone so I havn't nobody wich I can exchange my experience (my WS coach jumps in a DZ. Far from mine) so The only way for me to know other WS "Fly metod" is on this forum!

This is all

To me it's never a set altitude, it's almost entirely dependent on wind, both during freefall and under canopy. The first question i ask myself is where do i want to open, so I can make it back, and once I know that, how wide/long my pattern needs to be so I can open there, and that can vary quite a lot. This isn't exact science though, and where on the jump run you end up actually exiting the plane is going to influence the pattern during flight too, so I just try to adapt to the situation and do my best with what i'm given. It's just like precision landing patterns, the more you practice, the better you get at it.

Yesterday I continued flying straight on the jump run for about 50s, then 30s perpendicular, then 50s parallel (that's not typical, though). I try not to compress the second leg below 20s of separation with the jump run, especially if there are students and/or tandems on the load (at least if the tandem isn't expecting me close, *cough*)

To me it's never a set altitude, it's almost entirely dependent on wind, both during freefall and under canopy. The first question i ask myself is where do i want to open, so I can make it back, and once I know that, how wide/long my pattern needs to be so I can open there, and that can vary quite a lot. This isn't exact science though, and where on the jump run you end up actually exiting the plane is going to influence the pattern during flight too, so I just try to adapt to the situation and do my best with what i'm given. It's just like precision landing patterns, the more you practice, the better you get at it.

Yesterday I continued flying straight on the jump run for about 50s, then 30s perpendicular, then 50s parallel (that's not typical, though). I try not to compress the second leg below 20s of separation with the jump run, especially if there are students and/or tandems on the load (at least if the tandem isn't expecting me close, *cough*)

Thanks to all for your experience's exchange!
Actually my "little difficoult" is the correct wind valutation instead exit point. Jumping for last from Caravan (often with a lot of AFF students or Tandem wich spend many time for the exit) my exit is each time very different from DZ!

I am still a low WS numbers guy ... but I always ensure that I share my plan with the Pilot!! - don't want to be meeting him again , 'till we're both on the ground!

Sure! Me too, but if the other skydivers before me (Often AFF students) spend many time in the exit on Caravan with 18 Skydivers onboard my exit point could be distant from planned.

Sure! Me too, but if the other skydivers before me (Often AFF students) spend many time in the exit on Caravan with 18 Skydivers onboard my exit point could be distant from planned.

That's when you have to make the best of what you have, like immediately beginning a return arc after exit if you need to. Though in theory, if AFF students just exited, and considering the distance you can cover compared to them, your flight plan shouldn't need to change that much.

When in doubt, I turn back, it's easier to spend away extra altitude because I'm back too soon than to get altitude back when I'm short ;) When in *real* doubt, I open (as long as it's safe to)... I can still cover much more ground with my canopy than with my wingsuit :P

I share my plan with the Pilot!! - don't want to be meeting him again , 'till we're both on the ground!

Ohh, you don't know what you're missing ;-)

But yes, I always tell them, some pilots don't seem to care, but many will ask you if you don't go and tell them first. Some aren't necessarily used to having wingsuits on the load, and don't immediately realize that depending on the plane and how you fly the suit, you could both have about the same rate of descent (and that, of course, also opens up a huge pandora box)