Sleepsonicuk

Irish Jumper coming to the US looking for advice

Hey guys,

Hopefully this is in the right thread to start with.

I've been jumping for a number of years now with a small number of jumps (160). A lot of these have been in the past year and I really want to push hard to get onto Wingsuit flying. After being around lots of these guys in the UK I'm keen to get into it.

I've jumped with quite a few US jumpers in both the UK and Spain and I'm always amazed at how high spirits continually are. Apart from the good weather this is one of the main reasons I want to come for a skydiving holiday in the US.

I have 160 jumps but plan on getting this well above 200 before I arrive. My aim is to learn to fly wingsuit and am hopeing for some advice on where I might do that in January 2011. Date may be altered depending on availability or if there is a course I can get myself on or something. I plan to be out there for around 12 days and have my own kit but obviously no wingsuit yet.

If you have any recomendations on DZ's that you think I can get the numbers up with the right training then I would appreciate it.
Although my first objective is to have fun so if the wingsuit thing doesn't happen on this occasion, it's not the end.

Any advice or contacts you may have would be a massive help as I was hoping to book soon.

P.S a good bar/after party at the end of the day is always a plus (I am Irish after all)

Do you fall under the BPA? If so, you need 200 jumps in the last 18 months, or 500 jumps total. Even if you do not, and whatever Irish rules you may have about wingsuiting, most wingsuit instructors will still hold you to these jumpnumbers.

6.9. Wing Suit (WS)
6.9.1. To obtain Grade 1 in Wing Suit (WS1) flying the parachutist must be an FAI
‘C’ Certificate parachutist with at least 500 descents or at least 200 descents
within the last 18 months and ...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

OK.

Yeah I fall under BPA.

I thought the rules fall slightly different over there but I wasn't sure.

This is probably the biggest stumbling block I guess to my wingsuiting ideas! But it won't put me off going.
And determination will get me to that point anyway. Maybe just a little later.
Thanks

Regardless of the rules of the country you visit, your own BPA rules always supercede the local rules (such as USPA ones).
So regardless of where you jump, if you are a BPA (or otherwise) jumper, thats the rules you should follow.

Sometimes very restrictive. Sometimes good.
Regardless, this dicipline isnt going away anytime soon, so why rush?
Just enjoy your holiday, and learn valuable freefall skills (be it freefly or FS, not solo tracking) that all helps you a ton when you progres onto wingsuit flying. Be it soon or not.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Show up at Z-Hills with 200 jumps and we'll give you a first flight course!

There's always people willing to teach.

And BPA ain't gonna find out nothing when you're thousands of miles away if you keep it to yourself... B|

Rules schmools B|:P
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

Rules schmools

Rules schmools, but I prefer people making informed decissions on those kind of things.
If you damage other peoples equipment or yourself and your liability or medical insurance doesnt pay up due to you breaking rules you should be complying to, the whole 'rules schmools' thing takes on a whole other face.
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Jump as much as you can, get over the 200 in 18 months mark and go to Z-Hills for the last week of December and 1st week of Jan. Z-HIlls is a definately a WS destination. Scott and the whole crew down there will show you a good time with plenty of WS organizing if you are flying. They have camping on the DZ with awesome showers, food and a bar on site. January weather is perfect!

They also have a clubhouse filled with Wingsuits to demo. They run two Otters and the place is hoppin with people from all over the world there at the end of December every year. If you get bored with jumping somehow, Cocoa beach is to the east and the city of Tampa is 45 minutes to the West for night life. What more can you ask for!!!!

Do the jumps between now and then and get yourself up to the required numbers. You'll have fun there.

P.S. There are some good spots in California too that you might check and DZ's all over the east coast of FL to trip to as well if you want to change it up a bit while you're there.